GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mark Levinson CD changer problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-09, 08:21 AM
blckwidow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson CD changer problem

Hey guys,
I started my car up the other day and realized my CDs don't play anymore. I thought it was the disc so I changed CDs but still the same problem. The screen shows that the disc is playing but there is no sound. I switched to the radio and it works just fine. I've tried to turn it off and restart my car, even made sure my battery had juice still, but nothing seems to work. Anyone having this problem?
Old 10-19-09, 10:40 AM
JasonGS
Driver School Candidate

Try a mp3 cd
Old 10-19-09, 10:57 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

were those cds working before? what year car?
Old 10-19-09, 11:11 AM
blckwidow
Rookie

2006. CDs were working before with no problems. I even thought that maybe it was because I was using burned CDs so I put in original CDs but no luck.
Old 10-19-09, 12:26 PM
mcyc
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of your connection is loose or the wire harness that connects to the amplifier is defective. I had that happen to me and they had to replace the whole harness.
Old 10-19-09, 01:39 PM
blckwidow
Rookie

Originally Posted by mcyc
one of your connection is loose or the wire harness that connects to the amplifier is defective. I had that happen to me and they had to replace the whole harness.
Thanks for the info. Is this a do it yourself kinda thing or should I take it to the dealership???
Old 10-19-09, 01:41 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

if you are in warranty period, take it in, otherwise you can check connections yourself....it wont be at the amp since radio works right, it would make sense it may be behind the unit but even thatdoes not make sense I believe tuner and cd player are in one unit with output from there. If you are out of warranty it may just be time to get an ipod adapter and call it a day for CDs....
Old 01-29-10, 11:54 AM
blckwidow
Rookie

So I took this problem to the Lexus dealership and they were going to charge me $350 just to take my car apart and look at it! WTH!
Old 01-29-10, 12:41 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Are you out of warranty? If you are, its pretty easy to take that part of the dash apart and check the connectors. In the worst case, you could spend some time to find the issue (I am guessing any changer issues would show up as an error on the screen).
If you are under warranty, there is no excuse for them to charge you. Even my Mitsubishi dealer doesn't charge to look at a problem. So just go to another dealer...
Old 01-29-10, 12:54 PM
blckwidow
Rookie

Originally Posted by ivanz
Are you out of warranty? If you are, its pretty easy to take that part of the dash apart and check the connectors. In the worst case, you could spend some time to find the issue (I am guessing any changer issues would show up as an error on the screen).
If you are under warranty, there is no excuse for them to charge you. Even my Mitsubishi dealer doesn't charge to look at a problem. So just go to another dealer...
Yes, I'm out of warranty. Looks like I will be working on the car this weekend and seeing what is wrong with it when I take it apart. What should I be looking for? Just any wires that aren't connected right or may have gotten loose?
Old 01-29-10, 01:05 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

I would try to disconnect/reconnect everything relating to the CD changer<->headunit connections. Worth a try if something just fell out of its place...
Old 01-29-10, 01:08 PM
blckwidow
Rookie

Originally Posted by ivanz
I would try to disconnect/reconnect everything relating to the CD changer<->headunit connections. Worth a try if something just fell out of its place...
Okay, I will definitely do that this weekend. Thanks for the help, I will update when I'm done.
Old 11-28-12, 12:33 PM
arni
Driver School Candidate

Hey i was wondering were you able to figure out what went wrong with the changer? I have an 06 GS 300 and its not playing the cd, i can insert and take out, it just doesn't play at all, radio works fine.
Old 11-28-12, 06:10 PM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Def. loose connection I had this same problem when I had the gs 300 it was a connection in the back that came loose over bumps. The track would be rolling but there was no sound I could listen to the radio but CDs would not play.
Old 11-29-12, 01:54 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason the radio may play while the CD does not is because they use two different audio paths to the amp. The CD/DVD is digital, the radio is analog.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson CD changer problem