GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2006 GS430 at dealer for 2 weeks? What's wrong with this picture?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-09, 01:24 PM
MadRed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 GS430 at dealer for 2 weeks? What's wrong with this picture?

I purchased a certified 2006 GS430 at Arlington Lexus in Palatine, IL at the end of August 2009. As we all know GS happens to have many rattles, and so I scheduled my first app the following week. My biggest complaint was dashboard rattle, sunroof rattle, doors rattle and some other rattles. Also the car had a corner of its bumper touched up by Carnica which did not do a very good job (fog light loose, did not buff it at all, overspray), which as a part of the deal dealer agreed to fix it up to Lexus standard.

Three days later I picked up my car. First thing I noticed was that the dashboard rattle was 99% gone. Love that part. However, while reassembling the dash the center vents were improperly inserted, gauge cluster was scratched up by screwdriver, sunroof rattle remained, other rattles remained and the paint was buffed too hard that they burned thru the clear coat and white spots appeared.

I scheduled a follow up appointment on Wed Sep 16, for the time I was going on a trip. I told the service people that they should keep the car for 4 days while I am gone so they can take care of remaining issues, plus replace the gauge cluster cover. They acknowledged the issues that remained and promised to take care of it.

When I came back to pick up my car on Tuesday Sep 22, I was shocked to find out that none of the things besides correcting the vents were done. Technician pretty much said that he did not find any problems (which were previously acknowledged by service staff). So after 4 days still nothing was done. That pissed me off. I talked to Service Manager and he promised to fix it all up; the bumper, the rattles, the gauge cluster cover and other things.

I went to pick up my car today Friday Sep 25, and now it's still not done right. They applied some TSB for the door rattle problem and somehow forgot to reassemble the driver’s door correctly it came apart when I tried to close it from the inside WTF???? Sunroof rattles even more now WTF????? Paint on the bumper sucks with the visible difference from the original WTF???? Thank god they replaced the gauge cluster cover.

Needless to say I left it at the dealer to fix it by the end of the day, or so they promissed. They called me 5 mins ago to tell me that they found some part in the sunroof that is damaged and they need to order a new one. So now they promise to have the car done by Tuesday Sep 29 or Wednesday Sep 30.

I am more than pissed! What should I do? I bought my car almost a month ago and I had it in my possession less than 2 weeks. This cannot be normal. Please let me know what you guys think I should do or ask of Lexus.

Sorry for a long post but this is BS!!!
Old 09-25-09, 01:34 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you have a loaner this whole time?
Old 09-25-09, 01:41 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, welcome to CL. Second of all, sorry to hear that you're having all these issues. It really sucks to have all this crap go down in less than a month's time of ownership.

Lucky for you, you purchased it CPO, so you're covered. Not sure what you can ask for as it seems as though they're addressing your concerns, albeit slowly. I suggest that if your problems aren't 100% resolved this time around, give Lexus Corporation a call directly and voice your concerns.

I purchased my GS about two months ago and don't have any of those issues you mentioned (knock on wood). I did purchase a 2007 model though but from all the things I've read and heard about the 2006 models being rattle boxes, all of that noise i've read/heard about really helped me decide to look for an 07 and up.

Good luck. Just remember, by them looking at the issue and attempting repair, they've admitted there's an issue. Do not let them now say that it's all 'normal' just because they can't fix the issue. It happens more times than one would think.
Old 09-25-09, 01:41 PM
MadRed
Driver School Candidate

Yes i do. Thank god to that. It's just very aggravating.

It seems to me that they do not even test drive the car after repairs. I am not trying to be picky about the paint but it's very visible defect. I am sure they will fix most of the things, but why do they wait for me to come there and point all these problems out. Quality control seems to be completely absent.

Last edited by MadRed; 09-25-09 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-25-09, 07:25 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ try another dealer. If its CPO you dont have to go to that dealer. I am in IL and I have never used them for service. PM me if you would like some contacts to another dealer
Old 09-29-09, 03:25 PM
MadRed
Driver School Candidate

bump, bump, bump
Old 08-29-10, 04:27 PM
masitaly17
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar situation as you MadRed... 2006 GS430 CPO and it was in the shop for the first 2 weeks I owned it. I went to pick it up 3 times and each time there was either a new problem or they didn't fix the original issue..

Bottom line is that the Service Department at Arlinton Lexus in Palatine is a joke, they absolutly don't test drive cars after they repair them and they document "no problem found" on work orders even when there is clearly a problem they fixed.

I don't plan on ever going back there except to pickup my winter tires that are stored at their facility....
Old 08-29-10, 06:48 PM
sprintz
Rookie

MadRed,
This won't help you, but I bought my GS there ~1 year ago and had them install a spoiler as part of the deal. Their shop did a HORRIBLE job installing it (crooked with a large gap on one side). I was floored at the nerve that they wouldn't think I'd notice the crappy install. Apparently they've got some real bone-heads working in their shop AND in doing their quality control.

(I didn't notice how incredibly OLD the original post was...)
Old 08-30-10, 06:19 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't even get me started about how many mistakes/oversights a dealership can make in a row...
Old 09-03-10, 08:08 PM
maficrock
Driver School Candidate

Also, sorry to hear about your frustrations. I agree with other comments to call Lexus Corporation and file a complaint, but first I would try another Lexus dealership. I have a 2006 GS430 with about 50K miles and I haven't had any problems with rattles, noises, etc from anywhere in the car.
Old 09-03-10, 09:24 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think going to another lexus dealer will help. He's got 2 problems left - door is falling apart (that's a CPO warranty issue which any dealer can fix) and he has a paint issue (white spots, clearcoat compromised) which is not a warranty issue but is a bodywork issue. The bodywork issue has to be resolved by the dealer that sold him the car.

At this point you should make sure you have a written work order with the outstanding to-dos so they don't try to back out of their commitment to fix it. Once you have their responsibility in writing, call Lexus and have them work the dealer till its done. Lexus can be quite effective.

I know this isn't helpful - but I don't understand why so many people buy a car which has problems on the test drive. I check for rattles, bodywork, etc. before buying, and won't write the check until after it's fixed. Although I wouldn't write the check at all because I view these things as signs the car was treated badly by previous owner.
Old 09-04-10, 08:27 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

This is why I'm going to trade in my 2007 350 today. I'm done with Lexus. Brake dust problem, replaced brakes, squealing brakes, fixed brakes, rattles, fixed rattles, more rattles, lost my cup holder, sun roof rattles, more rattles, ughhhhhhhhh. I brought my car in so many times. Horrible service at Bay Ridge Lexus. The car became too frustrating for me to enjoy. A 50k car should not have unfixable rattles. Was my dream to own this car and now I'll never buy a Lexus again.
Old 09-04-10, 09:01 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

When it comes to rattles I think it's better you fix it yourself. Nobody knows better than the owner where the rattle is coming from. Of course if the rattle is coming from deep inside dash it can get labor intensive but you'll know if you fixed it. Dealers don't care because it's now their car.
Old 09-04-10, 09:11 AM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bozer
This is why I'm going to trade in my 2007 350 today. I'm done with Lexus. Brake dust problem, replaced brakes, squealing brakes, fixed brakes, rattles, fixed rattles, more rattles, lost my cup holder, sun roof rattles, more rattles, ughhhhhhhhh. I brought my car in so many times. Horrible service at Bay Ridge Lexus. The car became too frustrating for me to enjoy. A 50k car should not have unfixable rattles. Was my dream to own this car and now I'll never buy a Lexus again.
what r u gettin??
Old 09-12-10, 01:33 PM
dj4ever101
Driver School Candidate

wow can relate to what u r saying brought my gs 430 06 n had simlar issues but i took it on my own to fix it myself ,