GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Grom USB....WOW...it works!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-10, 11:48 AM
BinaryJay

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
that sounds great. :w00t:

Is this the one U got? http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...-usb2-toy.html

I wish it can play avi or divx too. It would be much much sweeter.
Yes, that's what I've got. So far nobody plays video except some of the more expensive ipod integrators, and of course that requires that you use and be tied to an ipod (more $$$, and personally I can't stand iPods or the iTunes software you're forced to use). One of the more interesting uses of the ipod video out was one of the members here used the iphone as a gps and made the car display the GPS display (though the touch display is non interactive and it required a jailbroken iphone etc).

I don't really care to play video in the car, so a usb stick containing a zillion MP3s is perfect for me. One of these days I'm going to try hooking up a usb external HDD just for giggles.
Old 01-26-10, 06:09 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My old Camry had 6 disk changer and can play mp3s, I still get bored after awhile.

I bought a $30 player to plug into the TV at home and it can play mp3/jpeg/avi too. So I expected this $130 thing can do all that too.
Old 01-26-10, 10:04 AM
BinaryJay

Nevermind what I said before about it being all fixed now. After a while, it's no longer reliable again... starts up sometimes, other times not. I am thinking of going back to the previous firmware now, as at least that seemed to start every time with the right usb stick... now even with the stick that would work every time on previous firmware is giving me trouble.

I don't know what they're smoking over at grom, they just can't seem to get it right. Back to only being moderately happy and that's only because the cost was low.
Old 01-26-10, 10:26 AM
worker
Lexus Champion

That sux.
Old 01-26-10, 10:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by BinaryJay
Nevermind what I said before about it being all fixed now. After a while, it's no longer reliable again... starts up sometimes, other times not. I am thinking of going back to the previous firmware now, as at least that seemed to start every time with the right usb stick... now even with the stick that would work every time on previous firmware is giving me trouble.

I don't know what they're smoking over at grom, they just can't seem to get it right. Back to only being moderately happy and that's only because the cost was low.
sigh.... thought it's an improvement
Old 01-26-10, 11:28 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

wow, doesnt seem like a very good product from what im reading. good luck with getting it to work!
Old 06-29-10, 05:07 AM
brianjkim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I find installation instruction on IS250?
Old 06-29-10, 05:12 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brianjkim
Where can I find installation instruction on IS250?
i would assume its very similiar to this. That shows you how to remove the headunit and all the needed parts.
Old 06-29-10, 04:54 PM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by onebigfish
ISSUES I seem to have is the USB stick is not recognized when you turn on the car. I found myself unplugging the GROM unit from time to time to reboot it and that means taking off the center console shifter cover. What a bummer. I've even updated the firmware 9.2.09.

Hey BOBTECH...how did you get around this problem?

Think I'll fix this problem by hooking up a switch to the power wire. When working, this thing is great. Bobtech was right. It will recognize more than 6 disks. I've created 17 disks on the stick. So this unit should recognize 99 disks with 99 songs each. Pretty cool. Will let you know what happens with the reset/power switch.
Dice and other mentioned on this thread has some more stable products:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...tly-to-ml.html

Cheers!
Old 06-29-10, 04:55 PM
Serggus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
wow, doesnt seem like a very good product from what im reading. good luck with getting it to work!

Dice and other mentioned on this thread has some more stable products:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-t...tly-to-ml.html

Cheers!
Old 06-29-10, 06:14 PM
BinaryJay

While I still have intermittant startup problems with GROM, it is much less frequent now and last I heard from them they said they were rewriting the startup code from scratch to try to address the issues people have been having.

They are very slow in getting updates out, though, so I'm not sure when I'll see it and if it will even fix it 100%. Overall I am fairly satisfied with it's performance for the price. Other than occasionally not startup up right, it does a good job.
Old 08-03-10, 12:49 PM
BinaryJay

Sorry to revive an old thread like this but I just wanted to post that GROM has finally put up (unofficially) a beta version of the firmware (version 38) that promises to hopefully correct the intermittant startup problems that have plagued the product since I bought it.

I haven't had much of a chance to really test it out properly (need to try many more startups, with a bunch of different usb drives before I can declare victory) but so far so good.
Old 08-04-10, 07:18 PM
Aristo82
Driver School Candidate

Keep us posted on if the new firmware has fixed the issue.

I'm still debating on the Grom/PXAMG/Vaistech modules after returning my DICE Mediabridge back to Amazon (complete failure).
Old 08-09-10, 01:04 PM
BinaryJay

Okay well, the problem surfaced again... started car, nothing. Audio is "off" and the GROM unit (CD2) was not showing up in the system at all. Had to turn "on" the stereo (press volume) and listen to the radio or a cd until I turned off and started the car again.

GROM is now wanting to RMA the box so they can examine my unit and send me a replacement. I can only hope that they've done something to improve the hardware that will make a difference here. I think I've had my center console taken apart a good half dozen times already by now... I think I can do it in the dark.
Old 08-09-10, 03:41 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

BinaryJay, thanks for keeping us updated.

I think a good solution is get a small mp3 player and a noise isolating headphone. Those isolating headphone are producing some amazing sound, and it also isolate road noise. Only down side I see is it does such a good job of isolating noise that ambulance noise won't get to U and U might get a ticket for it. LOL

Quick Reply: Grom USB....WOW...it works!