GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

car won't start after battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-09, 08:04 PM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default car won't start after battery disconnect

car wont start now after i disconnected and the reconnect the battery? checked all fuses too?

i was installing doors sills and blew a fuse and replace it (blew a few fuses already and replaced them and everything was fine) but i don't know why its won't start, car will turn on but won't start
Old 08-25-09, 08:38 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ouch.. must be the security kickin in. Next time leave the car running when disconnect the battery.

contact the dealer see if anything they can do.
Old 08-25-09, 09:59 PM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

im not sure, but when i hook up the battery i can use the smart entry system and i can turn on accessories. but my display doesn't say "depress brake and push start button to start engine" or something like that.

im gonna try and check the "starting system" fuses.

has anyone ever had this problem it was starting fine but i had all these warning lights come on but was still drivable just hard to steer. and back up camera wouldn't work so i guess the ecu wasn't set. so i unhooked the batt and reconnected after a few mins and no more warning lights except the lights that go on when the ignition is in on mode. but no start now lol can't even drive it to the dealership. b4 that the gas light was on too so i filled in more gas to eliminate that possiblity.

i know this is a simple problem and i don't want lexus to charge me an arm and a leg to get it diagnosed.

help plz ne one
Old 08-26-09, 05:18 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ sounds like you need to take the car in for service. I doubt this has anything to do with your door sills you installed.
Old 08-26-09, 05:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Sounds like you blew something else besides the fuse.
Old 08-26-09, 07:10 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

how did you blow a fuse while doing the install? did an exposed wire accidently touch something?
Old 08-26-09, 10:58 AM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

i was using a voltmeter and i had the car on. i grounded the the voltmeter and touch the positive side of the sills just to see if i would get a reading, then guess i accidentlly moved the neg probe and re-gounded it without moving the pos probe off the postive wire, so when i touched the neg probe to the body again i hear a spark and i i checked the same fuse that i kept on blowing and it was blown. so i replaced it no big deal. car started up fine still after that. but the vgrs took so long to kick in and no rear camera when i shifted to reverse. so i got home turned off the engine give it 5 mins and when for a 10 mins drive to get something then cam back offed the car and wait about 5 mins then i unhook the battery to try and reset the ecu. and it did when i hooked the battery back up i guess the ecu was loading on the nav screen and i thought all would be fine. but then i tried to start it up and wouldn't.

i don't even get the "key is not detected" or "depress brake and blah blah blah" messages. that is what exactly happened
Old 08-26-09, 07:41 PM
mackel53
Driver School Candidate

its alive!! dont' know what i did but i just ended up checking almost all the fuses and then i tried to start up the car and it work weird. maybe something was loose hehe

thanks for all your in put.
Old 08-27-09, 05:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mackel53
i was using a voltmeter and i had the car on. i grounded the the voltmeter and touch the positive side of the sills just to see if i would get a reading, then guess i accidentlly moved the neg probe and re-gounded it without moving the pos probe off the postive wire, so when i touched the neg probe to the body again i hear a spark and i i checked the same fuse that i kept on blowing and it was blown.
My guess is that you had the volt meter setting on ampere. When you use a amp meter, it is a dead short between the + and - terminal of the voltmeter. You shorted out what ever power pin you had the + probe on.
Old 08-27-09, 06:45 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

its alive!! dont' know what i did but i just ended up checking almost all the fuses and then i tried to start up the car and it work weird. maybe something was loose hehe

thanks for all your in put.
if you didnt do anything different really and it just started up fine, i would still take it to lexus and have them look at it to make sure everything is ok. you dont want something happening while your out and your stranded because your car wont start.
Old 10-04-16, 05:36 PM
mickimick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

car wont start now after i disconnected and the reconnect the battery? checked all fuses too?

i was installing doors sills and blew a fuse and replace it (blew a few fuses already and replaced them and everything was fine) but i don't know why its won't start, car will turn on but won't start
Just had to same thing happen to me and I don;t know if anyone has found the answer to this issue. But I called the dealership and they told me to open and close the driver side door three times, the car will reset, then you will be able to restart the car. Hope this helps anyone trying to solve this problem. PS: 06' GS300.