GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Reverse / Backup Camera...black screen?!?

Old 08-21-09, 09:06 PM
apex47
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse / Backup Camera...black screen?!?

I'm bringing in my car this Tuesday to handle some issues with my car. One thing is that sometimes when I put the car in reverse, the screen will show a black screen with rolling lines. Anyone experience this. It's only happened a few times so it's kind of hard to prove to the dealer as I'm sure it won't happen when they try it.

Also gonna have them try to fix my driver mirror in reverse since it doesn't tilt. Seems a few people are also experiencing this from previous posts.
Old 08-21-09, 11:44 PM
Jasonx82
Rookie

Originally Posted by apex47
Also gonna have them try to fix my driver mirror in reverse since it doesn't tilt. Seems a few people are also experiencing this from previous posts.
Is either Left/Right Mirror selected in the control box. Either one has to be lit for the reverse tilt to function
Old 08-22-09, 01:52 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasonx82
Is either Left/Right Mirror selected in the control box. Either one has to be lit for the reverse tilt to function
I think OP meant the driver side mirror is not tilting, but the passenger side is. If so its the plastic gear in the housing that probably stripped.
Old 08-22-09, 08:52 PM
apex47
Rookie

Yes, the passenger mirror does tilt when selected in the control box to either right or left. The driver side sounds like it tries to tilt but doesn't. There isn't a way to adjust the degree to how far it tilts is there?
Old 08-22-09, 09:26 PM
alphaxcrx
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I had this happen to me a few times. Sometimes my navi screen won't work too. Took it into Lexus and they said that they could not find anything wrong with the car. They suggested the next time it happens to bring it in that same day and not to turn off the car so that they can see it. Don't they know people gotta work!
Old 09-02-09, 09:24 AM
pkp207
Driver School Candidate

I had this problem yesterday at night when I was pulling out. I went back to park, then back into reverse and still black.

I just drove after that, then the next time I had to back out, the screen scrambled for a few seconds, then returned to normal.

When I got home, I threw it into reverse again and there wasn't a problem... :knock on wood: it stays that way.

But for the people that had a problem, did anyone figure out what happened? Did Lexus actually find a problem?
Old 09-02-09, 09:31 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i had this happen only a few times since owning my car. if i just do back to park and go to reverse again it works.
Old 09-02-09, 09:31 AM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess only way to prove issue is to drive in reverse directly to Lexus Dealership.
Old 09-02-09, 11:52 PM
apex47
Rookie

I took my car in the other to have them check that black screen issue as well as other things. My service guy said that may happen on occasion and would just go away on the next drive like it has. He said only thing I should be concerned about is if I see rolling lines anytime that don't go away.

They also fixed my driver mirror that wasn't tilting with with no question since it is under warranty as well as programing a new smart key I purchased from Sewell since theirs was much cheaper compared to my local SD dealers.
Old 09-03-09, 01:47 AM
Jasonx82
Rookie

Originally Posted by greyhndfan
I guess only way to prove issue is to drive in reverse directly to Lexus Dealership.
LOL they should make one of those skits (commercial) Guy gets pulled over and shows him driving backwards saying this is the only way to get things fixed.
Old 07-15-14, 03:09 PM
football34
Driver School Candidate

Default Black screen not going away

I have a 2006 Lexus gx470 and today my backup screen stopped working. After reading the threads it seems a few people had this issue, but it went away on its own. Mine has not and I'm looking for information of the issue seeing how my warranty is expired. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Old 09-25-15, 06:38 PM
marksteve
Driver School Candidate

i have a toyota and the back up camera does not work anymore. Im looking for a new one, i wonder where i can buy a high quality low price back up camera, looking for an online supplier.
Old 09-27-15, 06:07 PM
Broncosi
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by marksteve
i have a toyota and the back up camera does not work anymore. Im looking for a new one, i wonder where i can buy a high quality low price back up camera, looking for an online supplier.
Those two words do not go together in the tech world. Sorry bud. You get what you pay for. You can Google reviews of back up cameras and then buy what you'd like and install it yourself, but it'd have to be separate of the Lexus system to reliably work. You wouldn't be able to tie into any of the existing wiring or parts used in the stock backup camera other than the destination and power. IMO, I would take it to a shop that specializes in stereo installs that has a good rep. Not Best Buy and not Lexus, an in the middle place. Have them do the whole thing for you. You will pay a little more, but you get a warranty and peace of mind that you didn't forget to do one step.
Old 09-28-15, 12:33 PM
marksteve
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestions Broncosi, i googled reviews and came across Tadi Brothers website,thinking of buying from them and installing it myself. Have you ever heard of them?

Originally Posted by Broncosi
Those two words do not go together in the tech world. Sorry bud. You get what you pay for. You can Google reviews of back up cameras and then buy what you'd like and install it yourself, but it'd have to be separate of the Lexus system to reliably work. You wouldn't be able to tie into any of the existing wiring or parts used in the stock backup camera other than the destination and power. IMO, I would take it to a shop that specializes in stereo installs that has a good rep. Not Best Buy and not Lexus, an in the middle place. Have them do the whole thing for you. You will pay a little more, but you get a warranty and peace of mind that you didn't forget to do one step.
Old 09-28-15, 12:46 PM
Broncosi
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by marksteve
Thanks for the suggestions Broncosi, i googled reviews and came across Tadi Brothers website,thinking of buying from them and installing it myself. Have you ever heard of them?
I have not. I am assumming they are near you. Since you're in CA and they are in West LA. I am on the east coast. But they do have great reviews that all seem to highlight great customer service which is key. I wouldn't personally have any reserves going with them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reverse / Backup Camera...black screen?!?