GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3GS wheel thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-14, 04:28 AM
justYnG
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by msgs350
What are the offsets and tire sizes you plan to run? If you run around +40 on the offsets and tires 235/35-20 and 275/30-20, you should be OK.
I contacted the seller to see what the offset is for my vehicle. Once I get the answer the answer I'll post it here. Do you have any suggested tpms replacement I should go with? My factory tpms is acting up in one of the wheels so I figured I would just get a whole new set with these wheels.
Old 12-23-14, 08:37 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 1UGLYGS
How do you like 20's? I almost bought a set of VIP Modulars but was worried about 20's not giving me the option to be as low as 19's sit without radius the fenders so they don't hit on turns.
I really like the way 20's look on the 3GS but now I'm at the point where i want to switch to 19's so i can run a thicker tire. Getting old so want comfort..haha!

Originally Posted by justYnG
I contacted the seller to see what the offset is for my vehicle. Once I get the answer the answer I'll post it here. Do you have any suggested tpms replacement I should go with? My factory tpms is acting up in one of the wheels so I figured I would just get a whole new set with these wheels.
Sorry, I don't have suggestions since I don't bother with TPMS on aftermarket wheels. I will say that I've had issues with the Generic eBay TPMS units due to tire shops not being able to program them and with leaking TPMS on aftermarket wheels. Others don't have issues so hopefully they can suggest something for you.
Old 12-23-14, 09:21 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the way 20's look on the 3GS but now I'm at the point where i want to switch to 19's so i can run a thicker tire. Getting old so want comfort..haha!
haha, i hear that. I told myself when i bought the 3gs that it wasn't going to become a project, that lasted a week haha
Old 12-24-14, 07:52 PM
sgvlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

currently I am on Lowenhart BR5 20x9 +32 235/35 20 in front and 20x11 +25 275/30 20, I am on F sport springs, which i feel are a bit too soft and bouncy, so am considering getting coilovers soon. I shaved the rear fenders up until the welding points, and there is hardly any rubbing, only when going up steep driveways or if I have people in the back. my question is, would pulling the fenders and possibly rolling the rest of the fender that remained help when i decide to drop the car more with the coilovers? also would i need camber kit for the rear or will the camber that is given by the drop be enough to tuck the wheel ?

thanks for any advice!
Old 12-24-14, 08:47 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sgvlex
currently I am on Lowenhart BR5 20x9 +32 235/35 20 in front and 20x11 +25 275/30 20, I am on F sport springs, which i feel are a bit too soft and bouncy, so am considering getting coilovers soon. I shaved the rear fenders up until the welding points, and there is hardly any rubbing, only when going up steep driveways or if I have people in the back. my question is, would pulling the fenders and possibly rolling the rest of the fender that remained help when i decide to drop the car more with the coilovers? also would i need camber kit for the rear or will the camber that is given by the drop be enough to tuck the wheel ?

thanks for any advice!
smaller tires might help (ex. 255 instead of 275)

Its EXTREMELY risky to pull once you shave your qtrs. The chances of you rippling the fender is very likely.
Old 12-24-14, 11:07 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks for any advice!
I'm on oem 18s till i order a seperate set of tpms for my volks, thanks for being detailed on your wheel set up. Not much peeps have mentioned how far to shave, how low, and how it rubs if any with or without passengers. Giving you credit for 11 width in the rear with +25 offset w/ no rubbing, I got that 10.5 +22 and was wondering how far to shave for some clearance but looks like you've answered that for me. Thanks for sharing wheel offsets and info my man.

As to the answer of your question and in which I have done this myself before on my G35 coupe, is that I don't know if you have any 2x4s laying around but if you have something like a 8 inches high (preferrably stacks of wood) and is stable enough to put under ONE of your rear tires after you jack it up, slowly lower your rear wheels until it compresses and observe carefully if you have any clearance issues, if not you are good to go, and if you do have the rim or tire pinching itself with contact, then you may need to decide to go w/ narrow tires or camber kit.

Its EXTREMELY risky to pull once you shave your qtrs. The chances of you rippling the fender is very likely.
plus one on this too... yayuhh !! I would rather camber than to pull, you can't reverse that unless you like going to the body shop and you enjoy that stuff.

Last edited by LoveThatV8; 12-24-14 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-25-14, 01:52 PM
justYnG
Driver

Sorry, I don't have suggestions since I don't bother with TPMS on aftermarket wheels. I will say that I've had issues with the Generic eBay TPMS units due to tire shops not being able to program them and with leaking TPMS on aftermarket wheels. Others don't have issues so hopefully they can suggest something for you.
The offset for the niche Milan
Fr 20x8.5 35mm
Rr 20x10 40mm
I want to be sitting on nf210 to complete the look I'm going for. What do you think?
Old 12-25-14, 04:22 PM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by justYnG
The offset for the niche Milan
Fr 20x8.5 35mm
Rr 20x10 40mm
I want to be sitting on nf210 to complete the look I'm going for. What do you think?
Your offset isn't very aggressive, not sure if I understand the question your trying to ask but you should be able to clear with no fender work depending on the tire sizes you decide to run.
Old 12-26-14, 08:20 PM
sgvlex
Rookie

I've done smaller tires, (255) and the stretch is insane, kinda feel nervous about it that's why I moved up to 275, I was actually considering 285, so no pulling, what about rolling the rest of that fender lip to be flush with the body? I've driven it slowly up a driveway at an angle and noticed that the little bit of fender still scrapes the tire when the spring is compressed, I am thinking of getting the camber kit since ultimately I want to put uas bags on Megan coils.. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for the helpful advice guys
Old 12-26-14, 08:24 PM
sgvlex
Rookie

Originally Posted by LoveThatV8
I'm on oem 18s till i order a seperate set of tpms for my volks, thanks for being detailed on your wheel set up. Not much peeps have mentioned how far to shave, how low, and how it rubs if any with or without passengers. Giving you credit for 11 width in the rear with +25 offset w/ no rubbing, I got that 10.5 +22 and was wondering how far to shave for some clearance but looks like you've answered that for me. Thanks for sharing wheel offsets and info my man.

As to the answer of your question and in which I have done this myself before on my G35 coupe, is that I don't know if you have any 2x4s laying around but if you have something like a 8 inches high (preferrably stacks of wood) and is stable enough to put under ONE of your rear tires after you jack it up, slowly lower your rear wheels until it compresses and observe carefully if you have any clearance issues, if not you are good to go, and if you do have the rim or tire pinching itself with contact, then you may need to decide to go w/ narrow tires or camber kit.

plus one on this too... yayuhh !! I would rather camber than to pull, you can't reverse that unless you like going to the body shop and you enjoy that stuff.
Yea man I try to be detailed with the info and do my hw before asking questions,
That way gives people a better idea on how to help, thanks for the idea, I've done something similar but instead of the woods I just drove it up a driveway, and it looks and feels that the bit of fender leftover still rubs, hopefully I can roll that little lip and get a camber kit after I get my next suspension setup, which would be megan with uas bags, any advice?

Thanks
Old 12-27-14, 07:18 AM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

I've done smaller tires, (255) and the stretch is insane, kinda feel nervous about it that's why I moved up to 275, I was actually considering 285, so no pulling, what about rolling the rest of that fender lip to be flush with the body? I've driven it slowly up a driveway at an angle and noticed that the little bit of fender still scrapes the tire when the spring is compressed, I am thinking of getting the camber kit since ultimately I want to put uas bags on Megan coils.. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for the helpful advice guys
IMO
It depends how much lip is left of your qtr panels. If you shaved it flat and are going to try and roll/pull the metal is going to start to split. Trust me, both my GS's are going thru this lol.

But tires is all about how you feel, Im currently on a 19x11 with a 245 tire and im comfortable with it. I've ran as small as a 235 on the 11 before but if your not comfortable about the stretch, its all understandable. I base my stretched tires on wheel fitment, but obviously that's not the logical way of thinking lol.

Just remember if you get adj camber arms, make sure to get toe arms as well. Since my rears are shaved and im going to be running a more aggressive offset this year, im going to try and max my camber around -6 to clear the qtrs. with no pull.
Old 12-27-14, 02:35 PM
sgvlex
Rookie

IMO
It depends how much lip is left of your qtr panels. If you shaved it flat and are going to try and roll/pull the metal is going to start to split. Trust me, both my GS's are going thru this lol.

But tires is all about how you feel, Im currently on a 19x11 with a 245 tire and im comfortable with it. I've ran as small as a 235 on the 11 before but if your not comfortable about the stretch, its all understandable. I base my stretched tires on wheel fitment, but obviously that's not the logical way of thinking lol.

Just remember if you get adj camber arms, make sure to get toe arms as well. Since my rears are shaved and im going to be running a more aggressive offset this year, im going to try and max my camber around -6 to clear the qtrs. with no pull.
Damn, you are going to be a beast!
I believe I have about 1/4-1/2 of an inch left , so I think it would be possible to roll still? Oh and I just got a dent in the front wheel, so got to repair that now, I just feel like selling these wheels, so frustrated :-(
Old 12-27-14, 05:32 PM
justYnG
Driver

Your offset isn't very aggressive, not sure if I understand the question your trying to ask but you should be able to clear with no fender work depending on the tire sizes you decide to run.
sorry about that, im not looking for an aggressive offset when it comes to wheels. my main concern is if i had to roll my fenders or not. i dont mind rolling my fenders if i have to, i have a guy that can do that, but i just wanted to know ahead of time.
Old 12-27-14, 05:38 PM
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO

Dont forget pictures man! Should be nuts with more aggressive offsets, and WHOA on the 235 on 11. Haha, and I thought I was paranoid throwing 255s on 10.5. I eventually wanna track it at Willow Springs and feel the experience so I kinda need that meat. (No-homo). Lol
Old 12-28-14, 12:12 AM
1UGLYGS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LoveThatV8
Dont forget pictures man! Should be nuts with more aggressive offsets, and WHOA on the 235 on 11. Haha, and I thought I was paranoid throwing 255s on 10.5. I eventually wanna track it at Willow Springs and feel the experience so I kinda need that meat. (No-homo). Lol
Once I get the wheels in and start fitting them, pictures will come lol. Im still trying to convince myself not to attempt to pull the rear but we'll see what I end up doing, I wanna pull it 6mm but worried about the qtr panels starting to split. I might just do it and if it splits, bite the bullet and get some metal work done.

The picture bellow is my 2gs on 235/40 on an 11. Never had an issues with the coming off the bead, daily drove it for 2 years with that stretch.

Quick Reply: 3GS wheel thread