GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Just thoughts...No other choice

Old 07-07-09, 06:32 PM
DCNASER
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just thoughts...No other choice

I got my drilled rotors, pads, G2 caliper paint kit, Lexus caliper stickers, and everything else needed to do the proper cleaning.....tape, brake cleaners, clear coat, scrubbers, newspaper, towels, and much more. My brother and I may need to rent a storage (20x10) at Uncle Bob's Storage in order to get this done right. Mechanics will replace parts but they won't clean it as I want it to and would charge me a lot. I asked a paint shop , 2, 3, 4, of them and they all either busy or don't want to do it. One guy wanted $400. I told him to screw him self. The storage will cost me $25 for a month because they have a special. My brother has tons of tools. I used to watch him and helped him change many parts on many family members when needed. It doesn't take a genius to replace pads and rotors. As far as cleaning I am really good and picky, so I know I can clean the heck out of those calipers. One issue I am having is the fact that G2 paint need to be applied all at once and won't work the next day, so I need a couple of jacks or stands. I wish I could jack up one at a time for each day, but the paint wouldn't work for that many days. I have lots of time in the storage and I have another car I can use, but not sure how to go about doing it.
Old 07-07-09, 11:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

good luck with it man . Make sure you post pics afterwards
Old 07-08-09, 04:58 AM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should take you one day to complete. It is not a big job.
Old 07-08-09, 07:12 AM
01a4man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DCNASER
I got my drilled rotors, pads, G2 caliper paint kit, Lexus caliper stickers, and everything else needed to do the proper cleaning.....tape, brake cleaners, clear coat, scrubbers, newspaper, towels, and much more. My brother and I may need to rent a storage (20x10) at Uncle Bob's Storage in order to get this done right. Mechanics will replace parts but they won't clean it as I want it to and would charge me a lot. I asked a paint shop , 2, 3, 4, of them and they all either busy or don't want to do it. One guy wanted $400. I told him to screw him self. The storage will cost me $25 for a month because they have a special. My brother has tons of tools. I used to watch him and helped him change many parts on many family members when needed. It doesn't take a genius to replace pads and rotors. As far as cleaning I am really good and picky, so I know I can clean the heck out of those calipers. One issue I am having is the fact that G2 paint need to be applied all at once and won't work the next day, so I need a couple of jacks or stands. I wish I could jack up one at a time for each day, but the paint wouldn't work for that many days. I have lots of time in the storage and I have another car I can use, but not sure how to go about doing it.
Get brake kleen and a couple of tooth brushes. You will be able to get most of the grime off that way. Then you can use the supplied cleaners and paint them to your liking. It won't take that long. You could also go to a junk yard and get used brake calipers, paint those and have them installed. That is just another option. Good luck with it young lady.
Old 07-08-09, 07:45 AM
beez43
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the same thing.. and the g2 kit comes with a brake cleaner so dont worry about that... i jacked one end up at a time and it came out nice.. i did the same thing that you are planning to do.. while i was at it, i also did my LCB from tom's.. i like it so much better but didnt wanna do what everyone did and go with either red or black.. i painted mines white.. good luck to your modding!
Old 07-08-09, 12:26 PM
DCNASER
Pole Position

Beez43: Thanks for help, but I need to do rotors and pads and then clean, so doing one at a time might work if I was just cleaning and painting, because as I know the paint doesn't last for a long time after mixing.
Hmm, great. I am planning on black calipers with red stickers. I hope the stickers didn't go bad now being in the glove compartment for a week now. Do I just install them on the calipers after they dry and immediately spray the caliper with clear coat?
Old 07-08-09, 01:16 PM
beez43
Lexus Champion

calipers, rotors, and painting alipers will take some time.. just do the fronts and rears at a time.. i did each side in 20 minutes including the rotors... i would paint the calipers first and then do the rotors and pads another day.. that way you dont have to worry about totally masking off the rotors and paint did get on parts of my pads so yeah... i got the spray thing for the paint so that I can spray it on. Im thinking it might have been better with a paint brush but it came out ok. The paint is not supposed to dry up for a good 3-4 hours so it should be plenty of time to do all four... good luck and lemme know if you need any more advice from a fellow noob.
Old 07-08-09, 01:27 PM
DCNASER
Pole Position

Good comments Due, thanks. Stupid jack stands, I wish I can rent them or something. Maybe I can borrow a couple from some one or auto zone and use the one i have and another from my other car to do all 4 at the same time.
Old 07-08-09, 01:41 PM
beez43
Lexus Champion

yeah i wish i had 4.. wouldve made the painting process and everything else go a LOT easier and smooth..
Old 07-08-09, 04:48 PM
jre002
Lexus Test Driver

Good comments Due, thanks. Stupid jack stands, I wish I can rent them or something. Maybe I can borrow a couple from some one or auto zone and use the one i have and another from my other car to do all 4 at the same time.
You said you were in the military, right? If you are, you do know that every base has an auto garage that you can use for a few bucks and they have lifts and tools in there?

I've used them many times.
Old 07-08-09, 06:00 PM
DCNASER
Pole Position

NO not the military. I am a nurse
Old 07-08-09, 06:55 PM
01a4man
Pole Position

NO not the military. I am a nurse
Guys,

I think I'm in love

DCNASER,

It would be a lot easier with the 4 stands but two will do nicely. Take your time with it and it will come out great. Post up pics when your done.
Old 07-08-09, 07:19 PM
DCNASER
Pole Position

Awww, ya ya ya.
2 Jacks? Nahhh not a good idea, I don't think so. I don't have a big jack, only the ones that come with my car and the other car, so I would have to have 4. I will borrow 2 from some friends or pay them to borrow it. I like to do things right and not rush my self. I want my GS off the floor, all 4 wheels so I can work with no tension or stress. I can leave it then for 24 hours to dry, no rush. If I get in trouble I'll call you to come help me.
Old 07-08-09, 07:58 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

A nurse with a modded 3GS?!
Old 07-08-09, 08:20 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
A nurse with a modded 3GS?!
what's wrong with that??? If you are in the medical field you can do pretty well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just thoughts...No other choice