GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Anyone replaced the runflats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-09, 11:09 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone replaced the runflats?

My new GS460 came with Bridgestone EL42s which ride pretty rough. I am sure its not good for the car to take such a bumpy ride. Plus wet weather grip is not great.

Thinking of replacing with Michelin PS2s. Not sure whether to get the PS2 run flats or regular. I hear even the PS2 run flats are big improvement in terms of both wet grip and ride comfort.

thoughts?
Old 07-02-09, 11:20 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you are not gonna like any run flats, just go with the regular and make sure you get a spare just in case
Old 07-02-09, 11:53 AM
whise
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for the 460 it has Active Power Stabilizer Suspension System (
requires run-flat tires) if you get regular tires will this still work?
Old 07-02-09, 11:55 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

it doesn't require it, I don't have the APSSS and mine came standard with the runflats

the tires have nothing to do with how the system operates.. and many people have already changed the runflats.. sometimes courtesy of the dealers
Old 07-02-09, 12:02 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by whise
for the 460 it has Active Power Stabilizer Suspension System (
requires run-flat tires) if you get regular tires will this still work?
Who told you the APSSS requires runflat? The salesman? Its almost as bad as those BMW salesman who claim that they cannot change out the runflats because the BMW's suspension is tune for runflats, what a joke
Old 07-02-09, 12:03 PM
whise
Driver

Originally Posted by whlkev
it doesn't require it, I don't have the APSSS and mine came standard with the runflats

the tires have nothing to do with how the system operates.. and many people have already changed the runflats.. sometimes courtesy of the dealers
Thanks,
one last thing correct me if i'm wrong, the switch that changes from sport to normal controls the APSSS?
Old 07-02-09, 12:16 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

G-Man, lexus.com states APSSS requires run-flat, probably just part of the package.

no, APSSS is always active, the switch that controls the sports/normal is the AVS
Old 07-02-09, 12:33 PM
whise
Driver

Thanks for clearing that up...yes i saw it on lexus.com, Lexus dealer up here are no help i ask them about that and F-sports spings for my 460 and they said that they don't make it for my car.
Old 07-02-09, 01:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

whise, forget about your dealership, apparently some of us here know far more than them...

anyway, kevin answered most of the questions already. when i got my sc430 i almost got rid of the runflats right the way. they just straight out suck big time
Old 07-02-09, 07:09 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all your answers. I'd be surprised if the APSS and AVS require run-flats since they are standard on 460 and 460 is available with standard tires.

If I switch out the run-flats, does anyone know what to do about the spare? I prefer a donut to save weight. You would need a whole kit though (donut, plus the plastic insert in the trunk to accomodate it). How much does that cost? Is it better to have no spare and use a flat-bed tow if there is a flat?
Old 07-02-09, 08:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i have heard that if you have apsss, you have no space for spare. someone can confirm

if you don't have apsss, there is already a space in the trunk for spare and it's only for donut. 3gs does NOT have full size spare
Old 07-02-09, 09:04 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
i have heard that if you have apsss, you have no space for spare. someone can confirm

if you don't have apsss, there is already a space in the trunk for spare and it's only for donut. 3gs does NOT have full size spare
I don't think that's right. I have APSSS and AVS. The APSSS does not take up trunk space. I looked in my trunk and it appears that there is enough room for a full size spare under the trunk carpet. If you had a donut spare, you would need a plastic insert to hold it firmly.

Currently there is an insert which holds tools and is a space filler, but it does not leave empty space for a donut spare.

So I need a new plastic insert plus the spare.
Old 07-02-09, 09:05 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whlkev

I just sold my 330Ci also to get the GS460. Looks like we made the same move.
Old 07-02-09, 10:25 PM
whise
Driver

i traded my 18's for my dads 17's he has a 08 350 AWD, i'm putting winter tires on the 17's gonna use them for the harsh winters up here. didn't take his spare yet but will soon i'll let you know how it gose and what you need to do.
Old 07-03-09, 08:11 AM
rlj4246
Pole Position

I can't handle the fact that if you get a puncture of any kind you have to replace the tire, not patch it. I got them off my 350 and it was the best thing I ever did for the car. Rides so much better and I had to replace a run-flat because of a nail last year. They never mention that in the run-flat commercials. I could not get the tire dealer to patch it and I looked it up and sure enough you are not supposed to fix a flat. That is a very expensive nail.

Last edited by rlj4246; 07-03-09 at 08:12 AM. Reason: left out word

Quick Reply: Anyone replaced the runflats?