GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

iPhone 3G/3GS Sound Problems or Okay?

Old 06-28-09, 06:08 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question iPhone 3G/3GS Sound Problems or Okay?

I am thinking about finally getting on the iPhone bandwagon by getting a 3GS, which I suspect, based on reviews, has the same voice quality as the 3G.

Several people have reported buzzing or echos when using the the 3G in a car when using the car's built-in bluetooth. But I can't figure out if this is a special problem a few people are having or if almost everyone is experiencing it. Since I make (and receive) most of my calls while driving, the quality of the voice and any annoying buzzing is important to me.

Can you tell me your experience with the 3G (or better 3GS if anybody has one)? I am only interested in problems or the LACK of problems with the sound. I don't care about phonebooks transfers, playing music or anything other than the sound when using the iPhone as a phone over the built-in bluetooth system in the car.

Finally, I shoud point out that I have a 2008 GS350. The reason to get the iPhone is that I love the internet access it provides when I'm not in the car. I think the interface is great.
Old 06-28-09, 07:15 PM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sound quality of the IPhone is good with the GS. I have a GS300 from 06 and a 2nd gen IPhone 3g, the new ver 3.0 software did fix some of the issues like transferring the calls from the car to the handset when you exit the vehicle, but you still need to manually tell the phone to use its internal speaker, but no big deal.

Other than not being able to transfer my phonebook into the car, which the dealer did in a few minutes, its been fine and I use it a lot. The squeal that happens on some calls, not all, is a function of smart phones, not just the Apple. It happens with the Blackberry sometimes too. On mine it happens in maybe 1 out of 3 calls and its random.

They also showed me a shortcut, that I found useful at the dealership. When the car is in motion it greys out your ability to place calls etc, so just set up your phonebook numbers to the one-touch screen and from the steering wheel, just hit the call button and you can call out. Also for the visual voice mail, its easiest to set one of the one-touch numbers to your own, so you can quickly call your number and get your VM's when driving. The new ver 3.0 software also fixes your ability to play the VMs on the Iphone when its paired with the BT in the car.

Hope that helps
Old 06-28-09, 08:10 PM
LexFather

I have a 3G and its been GREAT with my GS.

Thread here with iPhone owners...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ghlight=iphone

Old 06-28-09, 08:41 PM
hieu
Rookie

ok since we are on this bluetooth subject is there any way to update or different firmware to stream audio over bluetooth?
Old 06-28-09, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

haha this thread is good, soon enough
Old 06-28-09, 09:25 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Exclamation Let's get back to how often annoying sounds occur

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I have a 3G and its been GREAT with my GS.

Thread here with iPhone owners...

Yes, I know. I read every word on both forums before I made my post. They talk about a whole host of issues, but I could never figure the most thing of all, which is whether the buzzing and other weird sound issues occur:

1. For everyone or for just a few people

2. On every call or just a few calls

etc.

If I find it too anoying to call and receive calls on my iPhone in the car, even if the iPhone has neat gadgets, I am going to be really disappointed. I rarely drive my car without making at least a few calls.
Old 06-28-09, 09:33 PM
LexFather

I talk through it often and its been superb. The only issue I've had is sometimes some people say they can't hear me. I've also found these same friends hate me talking through the phone lol.

No buzz or sound issues here
Old 06-28-09, 09:45 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I talk through it often and its been superb. The only issue I've had is sometimes some people say they can't hear me. I've also found these same friends hate me talking through the phone lol.

No buzz or sound issues here
That's wonderful. Now are other people also experiencing no buzzing or other weird issues in their 3G or 3GS? (If you have the original iPhone that I don't care, since it had different sound characteristics and I'm not getting an original iPhone.)
Old 06-28-09, 10:55 PM
Jasonx82
Rookie

Originally Posted by steverhode
That's wonderful. Now are other people also experiencing no buzzing or other weird issues in their 3G or 3GS? (If you have the original iPhone that I don't care, since it had different sound characteristics and I'm not getting an original iPhone.)
I have the iphone 3gs works great no buzzing..
Old 06-29-09, 08:49 AM
walker29
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cmasten
Sound quality of the IPhone is good with the GS. I have a GS300 from 06 and a 2nd gen IPhone 3g, the new ver 3.0 software did fix some of the issues like transferring the calls from the car to the handset when you exit the vehicle, but you still need to manually tell the phone to use its internal speaker, but no big deal.

Other than not being able to transfer my phonebook into the car, which the dealer did in a few minutes, its been fine and I use it a lot. The squeal that happens on some calls, not all, is a function of smart phones, not just the Apple. It happens with the Blackberry sometimes too. On mine it happens in maybe 1 out of 3 calls and its random.

They also showed me a shortcut, that I found useful at the dealership. When the car is in motion it greys out your ability to place calls etc, so just set up your phonebook numbers to the one-touch screen and from the steering wheel, just hit the call button and you can call out. Also for the visual voice mail, its easiest to set one of the one-touch numbers to your own, so you can quickly call your number and get your VM's when driving. The new ver 3.0 software also fixes your ability to play the VMs on the Iphone when its paired with the BT in the car.

Hope that helps
The dealer transferred your phonebook from your iPhone to your car? How? That's been my biggest gripe about the system. I didn't think it was possible since the iPhone doesn't support pushing the contacts.
Old 06-29-09, 09:20 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i only have a weird buzz sometimes and it only happens when the phone is dialing. once the other end picks up, its very clear.
Old 06-29-09, 09:53 AM
Just a Guy
Driver School Candidate

No sound issues, buzzing or echoes for me with my 2008 GS460 and 3G iPhone.
Old 06-29-09, 01:08 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Question How often?

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i only have a weird buzz sometimes and it only happens when the phone is dialing. once the other end picks up, its very clear.
How often does this buzz happen when it's dialing, i.e. what is your guess on the % of time?
Old 06-30-09, 11:18 AM
cmasten
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by walker29
The dealer transferred your phonebook from your iPhone to your car? How? That's been my biggest gripe about the system. I didn't think it was possible since the iPhone doesn't support pushing the contacts.
template is at syncwireless DOT org, you create a tab delimited file and email it to their BT expert and then they just push it over using a "non-smart" phone. My person Phil at Crown Lexus in Ontario, CA was very knowlegeable about the system, the IPhone and what it could and could not do.

once on the page select, Phones, SmartPhones and then IPhones and it will walk you through the rest.

Last edited by cmasten; 06-30-09 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-30-09, 11:37 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
How often does this buzz happen when it's dialing, i.e. what is your guess on the % of time?
i rarely drive my car anymore so i cant really answer that. i would say it was pretty rare though. maybe 15%

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPhone 3G/3GS Sound Problems or Okay?