GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

OEM headlights are kinda weak

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 04:43 AM
sagikun
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM headlights are kinda weak

Dont you guys agree? the output from the inside doesnt even look like hid's imho with the blurry cut off line n all. adjustments have little effect. and i know im doin it right.. its just the way the projectors were designed im guessing? what gives? could aftermarked bulb be possibly brighter? i noticed when i took out my oem phillips bulbs there was like some sorta dirt or something up inside the little bubble. on both bulbs. i dunno, anyone? i mean the self leveling and left to right adjustment when steered is really cool but common. they have to be one of the dimmest oem lights out there. there has to something we can do
Old 06-23-09, 06:44 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i upgraded my high beams and fog lights, but the factory HID seem ok. if there was an upgraded bulb available, i would be interested, but for low beams the factory HID is working fine. as you say, with the bulbs being dirty it may effect output, but i have had no issues with mine. let me know if you find aftermarket HID with more output...
Old 06-23-09, 07:21 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the factory's fine...
Old 06-23-09, 07:41 AM
sagikun
Driver

Default i second that

compared to what? the brightness and cutt off lines are straight weak compared to other makes. or maybe its just mine. on both my bulbs inside the little bublle is dirt or something, anyone have this problem? i dont know what it is but for sure i cant clean it out. its like inside inside.. ill post pics later
Attached Thumbnails OEM headlights are kinda weak-bulb1.jpg  
Old 06-23-09, 08:23 AM
LexFather

I suggest throwing some nice 6000k bulbs in place of the stock 4300....very nice whiter light with minimal blue, you will notice a difference in light output.

Bulbs don't cost that much to replace, under $100
Old 06-23-09, 08:26 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

4300 has the best output, 6k is just for looks lol. i have 4300k in my LS and i love it. nice white and bright.
Old 06-23-09, 10:08 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My headlights seem to do an admirable job lighting the road and I compared to a 535i and ours had the same sharpness if not better.

But, my RX has these BLURRY cutoff lines. Yet when I got a loaner RX and put it next to mine, I noticed that the loaner was much sharper.

I think Lexus designs a good headlight but for some reason the factory cannot get it right every single time.
Old 06-23-09, 11:19 AM
GS300.ru
Pole Position

Completely agree. To be honest, our HID suck in comparison to RX or any other German system. There is also a huge blind spot in the middle ___- ------ as well due to projectors setup and location. I had a big problem aligning them when I raised it a little. I attribute all those problems to the low profile of the headlamp, can’t feet large projectors and usage of the new “green” bulbs. Those bulbs are, theoretically, the same HID bulbs as other D2/4 bulbs but the projector lets only certain amount of visible white light out. It is kind of sad that designers cheeped out on the lighting system for the 50k car. But hey, it works better than halogen anyway.
Old 06-23-09, 11:19 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol if stock 4300k is weak, then going to 6000k is going to suck even more..

what's inside the glass capsule is the metal salt, it's not DIRTY!!

I've driven enough HID equipped vehicle to know that the cut off on the lexus is just fine, sharp cutoff just looks ghetto.

changing the bulb isn't going to work, you can get HID fogs to increase the night visibility

Last edited by whlkev; 06-23-09 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-23-09, 11:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with kev, HID fog will help. Dont even think about going to 6000K, it will amke things worst. Lexus is Lexus and German is German, Lexus does not have that shape cutoff and the German use bi xenons, thats why they are brighter.
Old 06-23-09, 12:33 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally think the lighting is good.
Does anyone notice a flicker of the HID when hitting a small bump in the road or such at night?
Old 06-23-09, 02:44 PM
sagikun
Driver

Originally Posted by GS300.ru
Completely agree. To be honest, our HID suck in comparison to RX or any other German system. There is also a huge blind spot in the middle ___- ------ as well due to projectors setup and location. I had a big problem aligning them when I raised it a little. I attribute all those problems to the low profile of the headlamp, can’t feet large projectors and usage of the new “green” bulbs. Those bulbs are, theoretically, the same HID bulbs as other D2/4 bulbs but the projector lets only certain amount of visible white light out. It is kind of sad that designers cheeped out on the lighting system for the 50k car. But hey, it works better than halogen anyway.
Finally, one person that understands me lol.
Old 06-23-09, 02:46 PM
sagikun
Driver

Originally Posted by whlkev
lol if stock 4300k is weak, then going to 6000k is going to suck even more..

what's inside the glass capsule is the metal salt, it's not DIRTY!!

I've driven enough HID equipped vehicle to know that the cut off on the lexus is just fine, sharp cutoff just looks ghetto.

changing the bulb isn't going to work, you can get HID fogs to increase the night visibility
thanks for saving me some money and trouble my fren
Old 06-23-09, 02:49 PM
sagikun
Driver

i have hid fogs on my 3gs, you can see pics on "new to CL..." thread. vibrations are noticable not bad. only on sharp bumps.
Old 10-15-09, 09:26 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

bringing this thread back.. i have an 06 gs300 and my light output when the car was new was awesome but now 3.5 years later they suck. should i replace my ballast with new 09 gs350 ballast? would that make any difference?

Quick Reply: OEM headlights are kinda weak