GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

2009 GS350 AWD-Obsidian with PB Interior-Picking it up next week,need help 18" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-09, 01:37 PM
LexFather

WELCOME to Clublexus. I will now ban you for having PB interior and I don't have it (just/kidding). Congrats on the GS!!!

I would not pay $3500 for stock GS rims. You can get the 19" IS-F BBS forged wheels for that price, let alone tons of aftermarket wheels.

Please post pics when u can!
Old 05-28-09, 09:40 PM
MTLGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the warm Welcome... and for sure I will post pictures when I get the car!

Ok... so I think I might reconsider the OEM 18" after all after looking at many pictures in the forum... and with all your positive feedback, you guys convinced me not to get the OEM 18" wheels after all, I think it would be a waste of money after all... btw, all your modified GSs are amazing!! I think I might go with aftermarket 19" or 20" wheels... and lower the car with new springs... but I don't want to lower the car too much since I'm a bit concerned how it will deal with the winter (our winters compare from those in Boston and north of that)... what do you guys think of the drop, 1"? 1 1/2"? 2"? Will the drop handle the OEM 17" wheels with winter tires as well?

Any recommendations for 19" or 20" wheels?
Any recommendations for springs for the GS350 AWD? Would Lexus drop the car?
What are the things I need to know before doing anything?

I just need to find a place here in Montreal to do all this and I will be all set.

Can't wait to get the car... this is all I can think about these days!
Old 05-29-09, 07:02 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

a lot of the AWD owners have used the Tanabe NF210 springs. They're the closest thing to OEM as you'll get with regards to ride comfort and the drop is 1.3-1.4" in the front and 0.9" in the rear. You will have plenty of clearance with the 17" wheels and those springs. You may want to avoid Lexus installing them...if you can even find a dealer that will do it. They'll overcharge you.

There are supposed to be GS-F springs coming soon, but aren't technically approved for the AWD...so you may want to wait on those.
Old 05-29-09, 09:25 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MTLGS
Thanks everyone for the warm Welcome... and for sure I will post pictures when I get the car!

Ok... so I think I might reconsider the OEM 18" after all after looking at many pictures in the forum... and with all your positive feedback, you guys convinced me not to get the OEM 18" wheels after all, I think it would be a waste of money after all... btw, all your modified GSs are amazing!! I think I might go with aftermarket 19" or 20" wheels... and lower the car with new springs... but I don't want to lower the car too much since I'm a bit concerned how it will deal with the winter (our winters compare from those in Boston and north of that)... what do you guys think of the drop, 1"? 1 1/2"? 2"? Will the drop handle the OEM 17" wheels with winter tires as well?

Any recommendations for 19" or 20" wheels?
Any recommendations for springs for the GS350 AWD? Would Lexus drop the car?
What are the things I need to know before doing anything?

I just need to find a place here in Montreal to do all this and I will be all set.

Can't wait to get the car... this is all I can think about these days!
1) i recommend work wheels, but it may be more than your budget allows for. check with the CL approved wheel vendors and see if they can set you up with a wheel package that fits your budget. you have the option of going staggered or non-staggered wheels. again, do your research and see the pros and cons of staggered wheels for AWD.

2) as jtrue28 mentioned, you can go with the tanabe nf210 springs. mild drop, better handling. one caveat though: since you have AWD, there is a known vibration problem when you drop AWD. some people have it, some don't. do a search on AWD vibration and lowering to educate yourself before you make the decision to buy springs.

3) look for an aftermarket tuning shop in your area. they should be able to do this for you for around Cdn $250 labour.

good luck!
Old 05-29-09, 01:06 PM
copa
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going to Obsidian w/ Passionate Black, then do it all the way. Get red aftermarket rims.
Old 05-29-09, 01:23 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Welcome to the Club, I am sure you are going to Love your ride and that interior.
Old 05-29-09, 01:32 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by copa
If you're going to Obsidian w/ Passionate Black, then do it all the way. Get red aftermarket rims.
i'd photoshop that red rim first before actually buying it!
Old 05-29-09, 02:33 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

i am so fking jealous. I wanted the passionate black but if only they had it for starfire pearl exterior. Now im in the market for a white on black gs350. Post pics please!!
Old 05-29-09, 08:30 PM
LexFather

Old 05-29-09, 09:00 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ O M G!!!

That would seriously be WICKED!
Old 05-29-09, 09:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
^^ O M G!!!

That would seriously be WICKED!
Oh I'll be looking for a PB 3GS in 3 years but yes that is the look I would go with...
Old 05-29-09, 11:30 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Oh I'll be looking for a PB 3GS in 3 years but yes that is the look I would go with...
black wheel with red pinstripe actually looks good! would definitely match the OP's car. good find mike!
Old 05-30-09, 08:04 AM
MTLGS
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys for all your help!! I really appreciate it!!

Isicklex.... Those black wheels with red are really cool, very appropriate! Do you know what brand they are? Would they fit no problem on the 350awd?

I'm just afraid it would be too dark, black car with black wheels, no? What do you guys think? Anybody has any examples? Photoshping them would be ideal, just got to find how to do it!

Did I already mention how awsome this forum is??
Old 05-30-09, 09:46 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

too much black. unless you're going for the stealthed out look

or why not take it further and time attack the whole car while youre at it

Last edited by dunnojack; 05-30-09 at 09:54 AM.
Old 05-30-09, 11:07 AM
LexFather

lmfao!!! I'm thinking once u open the doors with the red trim, the red lip trim around the lip, voila...beauty without overdoing it. True this is the "tuner" look, the OP may desire something more casual/classy like silver mesh or spokes.

Quick Reply: 2009 GS350 AWD-Obsidian with PB Interior-Picking it up next week,need help 18" wheels