GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

GS350 Brake Pad Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 11:16 AM
JPF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 Brake Pad Questions

I've decided to put Endless M-Sport brake pads on my GS350 to reduce the brake dust. My understanding is that performance of the M-Sport pads will be equal or better than the OEM brakes.

If I replace the front brake pads with aftermarket brake pads, is there any reason I should do the rear brake pads also? I was thinking I would not, since the rear brakes don't make as much dust. However I've started second guessing it.

Secondly, is there any advantange to upgrading the rotors at the same time? I have assumed there isn't, but I want to ask the question. If I upgrade the rotors, what kind of rotor should I go with? To the best of my knowledge there is nothing wrong with my rotor's, but I was wondering if there is any performance to be gained by replacing them at the same time as I upgrade the brake pads.

Thanks,
Old 05-27-09, 11:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you don't have to do the rear, i don't see why. i don't think it's necessary to get new rotors for the front too, unless you want drilled/slotted for the look
Old 05-27-09, 11:41 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the only thing that bothers you is the brake dust, there is a TSIB out for that. Lexus has dustless replacement brake pads.
Old 05-27-09, 12:42 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats for going with the endless pads, please report back on your experience with them. once my front oem pads wear out, i'll swap over to endless too.

like rominl said, there's no need to swap out the rear oem pads yet. keep them until you wear them out, then change over to endless.

as for aftermarket drilled/slotted oem size rotors, you may get marginal improvement in brake peformance (ie stopping distance) - some people say you do, some will say you don't. but the most important benefit (imho) would be better resistance to brake fade. see link below.

http://www.stoptech.com/products/rotors.shtml
Old 05-27-09, 02:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

for oem size, drilled/slotted rotors are only about cosmetic imho, i don't see how they can gain much performance, even fading. to me fading has more to do with the thermo capacity of the rotor materials and venting. if i were to stay stock brakes, i would just get brembo blanks (if available)
Old 05-27-09, 05:00 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

^ don't shoot the messenger, just pointing out what stoptech mentioned in the link above.

StopTech has incorporated several design innovations to improve rotor airflow, cooling and heat capacity. The ability to absorb and dissipate heat is essential to brake system performance. The uniquely designed vanes inside the disc optimize airflow through the rotor. This improved directional design minimizes turbulence and flows more air than any rotor tested. Better Airflow means better cooling and less fade.

now whether this is true or not, i'm not sure. i'm just stating the supposed benefit of slotted rotors if you believe in stoptech's claims
Old 05-27-09, 09:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

actually i think they are talking about the vanes inside the rotors, not the slots. the vanes do help a lot on cooling that's no doubt.
Old 05-28-09, 09:32 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rominl
actually i think they are talking about the vanes inside the rotors, not the slots. the vanes do help a lot on cooling that's no doubt.

ah yes, you are correct. but these vaned rotors do come in slotted and/or drilled i believe?
Old 06-21-09, 10:11 AM
JPF
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To update anyone interested, I've had the Endless M-sport brake pads on my GS350 for 10 days now. My previous pads were the original quiet and very dusty stock pads.

I'm not expert, but to me the Endless pads have the same or better stopping power as the stock pads. The initial bite is a little less, however the overall grip seems to be the same. The Endless pads feel more controllable that the stock pads.

So far the M-sport pads are very quiet and they are producing very little dust. My original pads would cover the front rims in dust after two days. After 10 days with the endless pads on it the front rims still looked like I had just cleaned them.
Old 06-21-09, 11:13 AM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If I'm correct on the TSIB, the dustless pads squeak a lot? Ill prob switch over to the m-sports. How quick does stock pads wear?
Old 06-21-09, 02:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by JPF
To update anyone interested, I've had the Endless M-sport brake pads on my GS350 for 10 days now. My previous pads were the original quiet and very dusty stock pads.

I'm not expert, but to me the Endless pads have the same or better stopping power as the stock pads. The initial bite is a little less, however the overall grip seems to be the same. The Endless pads feel more controllable that the stock pads.

So far the M-sport pads are very quiet and they are producing very little dust. My original pads would cover the front rims in dust after two days. After 10 days with the endless pads on it the front rims still looked like I had just cleaned them.
that's great news, thanks for the update. endless pads tend to be like that, braking usually gets more linear but without much degrade in perforamnce

Originally Posted by vuiskool
If I'm correct on the TSIB, the dustless pads squeak a lot? Ill prob switch over to the m-sports. How quick does stock pads wear?
i don't know about others, but not the case for me. when i got the dustless pads, rotors were surfaced (to do it right) and i had no squeaking at all
Old 06-21-09, 03:32 PM
Bavaria
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

8000 miles ago I also got the TSIB dustless pads installed, and have experienced no dust or squeaks at all.
Old 06-21-09, 09:45 PM
vuiskool
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Do I have to schedule a maintenance to do it? What do I tell them for me to get them switched?
Old 06-21-09, 10:22 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl

i don't know about others, but not the case for me. when i got the dustless pads, rotors were surfaced (to do it right) and i had no squeaking at all
I was under the impression, the original rotors on the gs350 were not meant to be turned, but rather replaced. WHat is everyone doing for brake pads? what is happening when all you guys are getting TSB pads? does the dealer just slap them on or are rotors turned as should be done with new pads?
Old 06-21-09, 11:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I was under the impression, the original rotors on the gs350 were not meant to be turned, but rather replaced. WHat is everyone doing for brake pads? what is happening when all you guys are getting TSB pads? does the dealer just slap them on or are rotors turned as should be done with new pads?
i don't see why they have to replace the rotors though. they are just normal blank rotors, unless they are worn down pass the spec limit, otherwise turning / surfacing them would pretty much get them back in full flat factory spec.

a rule of thumb is, when you change pads, you should ALWAYS resurface your rotors. pads always create uneven wear on rotors (due to pistons design / pressure). so when you get new pads, the pads are flat, but the rotors aren't. it will be impossible to really bed the pads on the rotors, and what happens is you end up only using slight area of the pads (ie. edges) on the rotors. thus

1) reduced braking performance
2) squeaking sound

that's why i have always said when doing this tsib, make sure they dealer resurface the rotors (not just written down, but actually do the work). if that's done and still squeak, well then it's probably something else

Quick Reply: GS350 Brake Pad Questions