GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Activating XM Satellite Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 06:29 PM
Leonard15
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Activating XM Satellite Radio?

Hi guys I have 6 months of free XM and the instructions from my dealer were to press the AM/Sat button until you get to Sat 1 and then you get your radio id that you need for the website. When I press the AM/Sat button it doesn't take to me to any Sat 1 or any Sat for that matter as all it does is switch to AM frequency. Anyone know how to retrieve your radion id?
Old 05-06-09, 06:47 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sounds like there may not be xm in your car and its xm ready? does anything show on the paper work that its in the car.

if you look into your trunk and look under the deck lid you will see a cut out (opening) and a small square shaped silver box if you have XM. this is where they mount it on the newer model and the cut out a hole in the black cover there.
Old 05-06-09, 07:37 PM
Leonard15
Rookie

It's a 2009 GS 350 and the dealer sent me a memo stating I have 6 months free and all I have to do is fill out the information http://lexus.xmradio.ca and then it will be activated. All I need is the ID section to fill in and they said I am supposed to get that from the car by pressing the Sat/AM button.
Old 05-06-09, 09:44 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Well if you bought the "ultra premium" package, it looks like XM is not included, as " XM Satellite - ML º $685.00" appears an an option for that trim level.

Last edited by ivanz; 05-06-09 at 09:59 PM.
Old 05-06-09, 10:55 PM
Johnnyz4
Driver

anyone got a dealer code?
Old 05-06-09, 11:14 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Johnnyz4
anyone got a dealer code?
For the US, you can search for a dealer here:
http://www.lexus.com/dealers/index.html
once you find one, hover your mouse over "contact dealer" and you will see in the status bar something like <stuff>&DealerCode=646067<stuff>

For Lexus Canada, find your dealer on lexus.ca and hover over the link to make service appointment. It will have something like <stuff>&id=42044&<stuff>

If you went for service or bought your Lexus at a dealer, it will be listed in the invoice and service agreement/receipt.

Not 100% sure about it US one, but it should be correct. The Canadian one is, since I matched it up to my service/purchase receipt (at 2 different dealers).
Old 05-07-09, 07:45 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Leonard15
Hi guys I have 6 months of free XM and the instructions from my dealer were to press the AM/Sat button until you get to Sat 1 and then you get your radio id that you need for the website. When I press the AM/Sat button it doesn't take to me to any Sat 1 or any Sat for that matter as all it does is switch to AM frequency. Anyone know how to retrieve your radion id?
You do NOT have an XM tuner in your car. If you were promised one, get the dealer to install it. Mine was a dealer install as well (I did have to pay extra for it).
Old 05-07-09, 08:10 AM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Leonard15

Here is the fine print from lexus.com:

Satellite Radio requires XM or SIRUS compatable receiver and a subscription service fee after trial. Vehicles without a factory-installed radio receiver require hardware purchase and installation.
Old 05-07-09, 01:43 PM
Leonard15
Rookie

I was under the impression that when you are entitled to 6 months of XM free that the reciver is already roughed in to receive sat radio as the sales manager just told me I had to get the radio ID from the car and then enter the information on the website that he directed me to go on. I didn't think I had to pay extra just to have a receiver installed as I only thought that I had to pay for if I choose to subscrible to the service.
Old 05-07-09, 01:46 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Well just go back to the dealer and tell them you are very upset that they lied to you. I'm sure they will work with you to resolve this. If not, phone Lexus directly.
Every car is entitled to free XM, but most don't have a reciever built in. They are just XM ready as in having the shark fin antenna and wiring required to put in the module.
Old 05-07-09, 02:03 PM
Leonard15
Rookie

This is what it says on the lexus.ca page with regards to XM "Satellite Radio Ready (Accessory Kit Required)" Does that mean the receiver needs to be installed.
Old 05-07-09, 02:58 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ yes you need to purchase it and install it. Its not hard to install if you want to DIY and save a lot of $$ the dealer will charge.
Old 07-19-12, 02:05 PM
98GS400
Driver School Candidate

Angry

I just bought a Lexus certified 2009 GS350 AWD. When I press the AM/Sat button, it only goes to AM. I called my selling dealer, and they say it sounds like it does not have the Sat Receiver. So, I have no problem with buying one! Now they say it is no longer available!

The dealer suggests I go to Best Buy!!!! NO WAY!!! I want a Lexus / Toyota radio, and want it installed by Lexus. Anyone have any ideas to help me with this? Why can't I buy the Sat receiver from Lexus for a 2009 GS350??
Old 07-19-12, 02:34 PM
BurgBoxstr
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sewell shows it's still available...

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2009/3131.html

Register as a CL member and you get a 10% disc IIRC

Easy install too - all done in trunk (directions in link above too)

Good luck
Old 07-19-12, 06:06 PM
98GS400
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BurgBoxstr
Sewell shows it's still available...

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2009/3131.html

Register as a CL member and you get a 10% disc IIRC

Easy install too - all done in trunk (directions in link above too)

Good luck
Thank you for posting this. I called Sewell Parts tonight, before I posted this. Steve looked into this and called me back. He said all of the OEM receivers were gone, and that they offer 2) aftermarket solutions (need both, as one is the connection package and the other is the receiver):

AIC100X

XHD2H1

Reading the link that you provided suggests the OEM item listed should work. I clicked on the instructions; they are for a 2007. My wife has a 2007 GS350, so I looked in her trunk. The receiver in her 07' is a Pioneer 86180-0W030. The 07' is supposed to be a newer generation, and the receivers supposedly are different, but that is not what this link shows.

Guess I will call Sewell again tomorrow and ask about this link. The aftermarket items require pulling the radio to access the back, and require you to use their internal antenna.

Thanks again! Please share any additional thoughts you may have!

Quick Reply: Activating XM Satellite Radio?