GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Am I making a mistake by getting this 06 gs300 awd

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-09, 07:52 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I making a mistake by getting this 06 gs300 awd

I looked long and hard trying to find me a car that is going to last a few years and over 100K miles. I narrowed it down to just the Acura RL 05 or 06 version since I didn't want to spend more then $25K. The dealers I went through gave me a decent deal but I never got a "good deal" on one. Then on the day I was going to buy the RL (already picked it out and everything) I got on the internet looked on ebay and saw an 06 GS AWD in Matador Red. It has the premium package, heated and cooled seats, Navagation, rear view camera, spolier, premium audio, clear BRA, etc. The RL I looked at was suppose to be showroom quality and I noticed chips on the front of it a few scratches on the side and also black exhaust on the pipes and it was a 06 silver RL with 36,500 miles on it for $23K at a mazda dealer. First of all the salesperson said it was traded in on a mazda 6. You know how cheap it is? and then he changed his story when I got there and asked about that. Then at the same time we talked about a lexus and then he told me in about 2 months lexus is about to have alot of trouble for all those bad transmissions they made again I think another lie. I got tired of it, couldn't find a bank and then went over to ACE imports and looked at the red gs. When I got there and looked at it, I swear that if you took his car and put it against a brand new car, you can't tell the difference between what is used and what is new it is in that kind of shape. If you look at the carfax it was taken in every 5K miles at the dealership for service. Also they want $25,900 for it. according to NADA the RL was $1,800 over nada trade in and the nada retail was $26,800. The nada trade in on the gs is $26,900 and the retail is around $31K to me the gs is a better deal. I had a 02 gs 430 and I really really liked the car. My previous cars were 97 talon (new), 99 vette (new), 98 acura nsx super charged widebody (never titled with 2,800 miles), 92 lexus es 300 (151KL miles on it), 03 TL (new) 2 months, 99 bmw 85k miles (2 weeks), 02 gs 430 (few months), then august 2005 until now 99 VW passat now with 185K miles on it and hit 3 on all 3 sides (never fixed), door handle messed up, glovebox broke, both seats broke, abs never worked, frame damage since I got it, etc so time for something I can enjoy. I don't make the money I used to so this one has to last, been saving for 4 years for it (can't finance anything). Let me know if I am doing what I need to or not or any suggestions
Old 04-14-09, 08:16 PM
LexFather

Don't be alarmed by the RL resale b/c its horrible. Its a good car but highly undesirable new thus resale is atrocious as dealers sold them way under cost to try to move them. Also 2005 is the most abundant year with around 18k sold total, so there are more available. That said, it sounds like the car you are looking at is not in great shape. I doubt it was a trade in but bought at an auction by the Mazda dealer. Maybe look for another RL in better shape? I would never get one but they are GREAT deals at the prices I've seen (17-23k).

The GS sounds like its in better shape but how many miles does it have? The GS AWD according to Consumer Reports is not the usual Lexus reliable but we haven't any reports of big issues, just the same small ones the other GSs have (rattles mostly). Since u had experience with the GS before I think its a great logical step for you.
Old 04-14-09, 08:23 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default missed putting that in 36K miles

it has 36K miles. They went to the same auction as sewell lexus and park place lexus go to. I wonder how much they are making off me though. I hate getting ripped off.
Old 04-14-09, 08:31 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by krava
it has 36K miles. They went to the same auction as sewell lexus and park place lexus go to. I wonder how much they are making off me though. I hate getting ripped off.
Well remember negotiate the PRICE of the car first, then buy it/secure financing.

If its from a dealer there will be markup but it sounds like the GS was taken care of, which is peace of mind when u buy used.

I would pay 25k for the GS.
Old 04-14-09, 08:42 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

when my lease was up on my E, I was serious about saving money and looking at the RL. But MB made me a pretty good offer so I kept my car. I like both the GS and RL. I was leaning towards RL because of price myself. I would also think the RL handles better than the GS if I'm not mistaken. RL offers tons of features, and you don't see too many RL on the road, which is a good thing. I would say RL is a good bargain, but you should look for a better condition car.
Old 04-14-09, 09:01 PM
GS2006
Lead Lap

Did you see my response in your other thread?
Sewell goes to the auctions in CA and FL since they are the largest. They may go to others as well. This car is from CO.
Like I said in the other thread, I believe Lexus has first dibs on Lexus cars that come off leases at acutions.
If a Lexus dealer did not pick up the car, there may be a reason. Either cost or some repair or damage they did not like. Car Fax is useless. Sometimes if damage is detected at an action it might show up on a autocheck report. Maybe it is a great car?? Also, check for those vin stickers.
Old 04-14-09, 09:43 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default saw the other thread

I saw the other thread where you had the picture of the hood up with the stickers. The first thing I asked the guy is to pop the hood so I could see the sickers. Then I asked him about the other guys getting first dibs which is true. they don't buy everything and to me this thing looks nice though. the only thing I am thinking about is not enough HP, I wanted like 300HP i never drove a gs300 I need to test drive one before I buy. I put $500 down but on this contract it doesn't say anything that I can't get a refund for it. This is probably the stupidest thing anyone ever said they wanted a car for but this is what I need it for. this car will be used for me to go out of town (probably once a week) to go and get a bunch of computers and put it in there and drive back home with (250 mile trip 1 way). I want something that also is nice to look at and nice and comfy inside. No I dont' want a SUV though. I didn't know that I have to pay $2,250 in tax to register the car either. I am also paying cash I can't finance so I am trying to make my money go the furthest. I have seen some ads for used cars here but 03 gs 300's for $16K isn't a good price. Also I got into the gs300 and I think the cabin is a bit tight, tighter then the RL. I weigh like 305 or so and 5"10
Old 04-14-09, 09:45 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default car fax

that is true, my car was in a wreck with frame damage and it wasn't reported on carfax. which VIN's do I need to look for exactly and I will write them down and look, if they aren't there I will tell the guy and get a refund.
Old 04-15-09, 06:07 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

this car will be used for me to go out of town (probably once a week) to go and get a bunch of computers and put it in there and drive back home with (250 mile trip 1 way).

Have you seen the trunk size of the GS? Its pretty small.
Old 04-15-09, 07:01 AM
GSTom
Driver School Candidate

In 2006 I had to choose between the 06 RL vs the 06 GS300 AWD
The RL won / more power better brakes $ nav just a better buy for the $$$$
Understand i owned a 2003 GS300 & now 2009 i am back to an 09 GS350 AWD
But don't knock that RL
Of course condition matters
Both are nice cars good luck
Old 04-15-09, 08:02 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

that is true, my car was in a wreck with frame damage and it wasn't reported on carfax. which VIN's do I need to look for exactly and I will write them down and look, if they aren't there I will tell the guy and get a refund.
The little black stickers with the VIN are just a guide. However, there are ones in plane sight and other hidden and I’m sure some only a few know about.

Rear bumper: if you lean under the rear of the car on the passenger side and look up the opening between the bumper and the black molding you will see the aluminum re-enforcement part of the bumper. There will be a black sticker there. You may need a small flashlight to see it. While you are down there, look around for anything that looks bent or like it has been worked on.

The front hood, you already seen that one.
Each door will have a sticker at the bottom of the door you can see when the door is open.

I’m sure there is one on the front bumper, but I don’t think you can see it because of the molding.

Also, if you can take the car for a spin and inspection, you might be able to swing by Sewell and barrow there neat little paint thickness checking tool. They use these when at the auction to check for body repairs. Repaired paint will have a different thickness than non repaired factory paint.

The car may be fine. Keep in mind most of these cars the dealer picks up come with their certified warranty. The price of their cars reflects that in their asking price. That is one reason you will see a higher price there. If you don’t want it, they may take it off the price as you negotiate.

As others have mentioned, if you hauling crap, make sure that small trunk is big enough for you. I personally tested the RL when the new style came out and I did not like it. It seemed nosier to me (Bose cancelation did not seem to work for me) and I did not like the acceleration lag.
Old 04-15-09, 08:14 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Krava, if you paln to keep the car for a few years, I would not worry about NADA book valve. When you sell it or trade it in, the difference would not be that much. Lexus does have good re-sale value, thats good for a new car buyer but bad for the use car buyer. The RL is about as relaible as the GS but it has a lower re-sale value for what ever reason.
Old 04-15-09, 06:37 PM
frantinez
Pole Position

I saw the other thread where you had the picture of the hood up with the stickers. The first thing I asked the guy is to pop the hood so I could see the sickers. Then I asked him about the other guys getting first dibs which is true. they don't buy everything and to me this thing looks nice though. the only thing I am thinking about is not enough HP, I wanted like 300HP i never drove a gs300 I need to test drive one before I buy. I put $500 down but on this contract it doesn't say anything that I can't get a refund for it. This is probably the stupidest thing anyone ever said they wanted a car for but this is what I need it for. this car will be used for me to go out of town (probably once a week) to go and get a bunch of computers and put it in there and drive back home with (250 mile trip 1 way). I want something that also is nice to look at and nice and comfy inside. No I dont' want a SUV though. I didn't know that I have to pay $2,250 in tax to register the car either. I am also paying cash I can't finance so I am trying to make my money go the furthest. I have seen some ads for used cars here but 03 gs 300's for $16K isn't a good price. Also I got into the gs300 and I think the cabin is a bit tight, tighter then the RL. I weigh like 305 or so and 5"10
I just read an article that stated the 3GS has a smaller cabin & trunk than the 2GS. Just FYI.

I paid $17,500 for my 2003 GS300 Sportdesign with 30k just 6-months ago....just for reference.

Eric
Old 04-16-09, 06:53 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default Just drove back home with it

Went the distance and went ahead and bought it. The guy there wants me to buy some $1600 3 year 10000 warrany and says it is the same as lexus warranty which I don't believe. I didn't have any idea of what I was doing, I didn't know how to adjust the rear view mirrors, still don't know how to do the bluetooth hookup on it. when I sat in it I was staring at the top of the car even after I lowered the seat which I have gotten used to. The only complaint I have about it is that someone put on firestone Firehawk tires on it. I am not sure if they are run flats or not I have to take another look when I go out. I have no idea of ALL the options on that car either, have to take it to the dealer and get them to look it up (like the rear sunshade which I looked in the manual to see the button to use but haven't had time to hit the button yet.) The car looks better to me every time I look at it. I first liked the new style (when first came out) then didn't really like it that much and then back to liking it again. The trunk isn't as bad as people say it is. I need to read that manual because too much stuff I have no idea how to do. For example I couldn't even pop the trunk with the key. (car in valet mode ) the guys showed me how to fix that though.
Old 04-16-09, 08:17 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Default anyone else with problems?

hard to enjoy the new car, kind of sick to my stomach though. had to pay $26K cash money and it like HURT. I have backup money but the way the economy is you never know what to expect. anyone else feeling like "oh god that hurt?"

Quick Reply: Am I making a mistake by getting this 06 gs300 awd