GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

HID fog lights on my 3GS!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-09, 06:08 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up HID fog lights on my 3GS!!!

[update] another picture after I just replaced parking lights with Polarg M4 (B1 hybrid superwhite 194 bulbs). Instructions how to replace it here (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/1894011-post17.html). One thing to keep in mind, those parking lights are hardly visible, doesn't matter if its yellow or white color. Its all about picture taking technique and how everything gets reflected when taking picture in the dark. With yellow parking lights it turned out pretty bad, while changing to blue made an improvement. Again, I'm not a pro at picture taking and played around with white balance. Still not the best picture, but a little bit better.

Below is my original picture with stock yellow parking lights.

Finally got around installing these puppies since I bought them 4 month ago.

I was too excited and forgot to take "before" pictures, but you guys with 3GS already know what it looks like before The kit is from XenonDepot (big props to Steve!!!), 3000k Xtreme Digital HID Converstion Kit [HERE]. This is not cheap in-line ballast off eBay, but rather a high quality advance module with dual relay (requires a separate connection to car battery) and quality bulb 9006/HB4 (made in Japan).

Took over an hour to install because we had to find a good spot for ballast mount and snake power wires to the battery. Passenger side is easier and wires were long enough, while driver side has washer liquid container in the way so we mounted it under the hood and had to extend power wire to reach the battery across. For those who want to do it yourself, I highly recommend to read these links here and here. Just keep in mind that you will need to take more than just 2 screws out unless you brave enough to apply "quite an amount of force" as mentioned in one of those DIY links. We took about 8-9 of these off to make sure everything slides out easily.

Anyway, the picture worth thousand words I just wish I would have before/after pics, but you get the idea

Last edited by twister; 04-17-09 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 06:59 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks pretty nice.....but seems like the color might be slightly off......
Old 04-12-09, 07:21 PM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not to insult you but you need to change the drl lights because right now your car look like xmas lights...low beam, drl and fogs all different colors.
Old 04-12-09, 07:53 PM
stvincent
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

how would you describe that golden yellow? is it like gs2 fogs or brighter? i have xenondepot as well 4300k.. i like mine, but thinking about just swapping out the bulb with 3000k..
Old 04-12-09, 07:56 PM
THE.K.W.C
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

your front end looks dumb....like really dumb ...like 3 different color of lights dumb. those fogs need to be 6000k+
Old 04-12-09, 08:08 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I took a bunch of pics with my regular digital camera and my headlights showed up in there yellow (color was bleeding over). Than, I took my wife’s DSLR camera and out of a bunch of shots only one came out clear. The dlr lights are actually barely visible. I have NO idea why they show up in the picture so bright Its really just headlights (clear blue) and fog lights (intense bright yellow, close to GS2) that a visible. But I'm also considering changing dlr light bulb as well.

Last edited by twister; 04-12-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 04-12-09, 08:22 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by -the.k.w.c
your front end looks dumb....like really dumb ...like 3 different color of lights dumb. those fogs need to be 6000k+
... you like make a dumb good point ... like really dumb good point. I will change dlr to leds, but fogs will stay yellow. Don't want a ricer look with matching low beams and fogs on my car Yellow fogs on Lexus GS is classic
Old 04-13-09, 05:36 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Some people try to match the color of their lights, I see you are not into that Twister
Old 04-13-09, 05:41 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it might be the angle we are looking at it from for the foglight color...looks good! and yes, get the parking light changed to match....
Old 04-13-09, 09:28 AM
ImStricken
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -the.k.w.c
wait...let me get this right:
i guy who cant find his oil filter (as he posted a thread before asking location) - is now being a smarta55 about light bulbs lol If he changed his fogs to 6000k like you stated, they still would be different colors. stock HID lights are not 6000k but 5300k & less. so unless you know what your talking about, dont criticize. yellow fog lights have been stock on cars for years. if im correct lexus started it.

i think your dumb...like really dumb. like so dumb that you cant open your eyes and figure out where your oil filter is...have you found your manhood yet?
Old 04-13-09, 09:54 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

^

BTW, while I'm figuring out how to use my camera to take a good shot here is a picture from old SGT thread where he installed the same 3000k HID fog kit (just Philips bulb, while mine is not) and you can see a better contrast and color of these fog lights - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ng-lights.html He did use led parking light though, but for reliability reasons I decided to go with regular 194 bulb like palarg mentioned before.

Last edited by twister; 04-13-09 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-13-09, 10:47 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

twister...just change your drl and you should be all good. congrats on the fog mods !!! everybody has a different taste so ignore the dumb comments.
Old 04-13-09, 11:28 AM
LexFather

Guys knock off the smart comments and personal attacks and show some class.

Great job Twister. I am sure he can easily change the DRLs....
Old 04-13-09, 12:10 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

The white balance's off. 3000K should be yellow. It looks off-white to me.

I just turned my DRL off.
Old 04-13-09, 12:17 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Once you change the parking light to match the low beam, it should look much better.

Quick Reply: HID fog lights on my 3GS!!!