GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Standard or Runflat Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-09, 11:55 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pjonkheer
LOL!! Well said.
If I am going to have deal with a stiff ride like the GS, I might as well have handling like a BMW
Old 02-17-09, 01:21 PM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
If I am going to have deal with a stiff ride like the GS, I might as well have handling like a BMW
Got that right! I am counting the days to when I get to replace my runflats with something softer.
Old 02-18-09, 02:17 PM
didit70
Driver School Candidate

i just had my runflats replaced at discount tire with goodyears... much better ride and i only paid $562 as opposed to the $1200 - $1300 for replacement runflats...
Old 02-19-09, 11:17 AM
tinsnip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steviej
I hated my runfarts. They produced a harsher ride (as they should with a stiffer sidewall). The downside to runflats is if you have to replace one, they are upwards of $300 to $400 to replace. If you get a flat tire and ride on the runflat for a considerable distance, you will most likely have to replace it. Runflats are not easily repaired either. I don't mine changing a tire on the side of the road.

I replaced my OEM runflats with 17" Michelin performance winter tires and 18" Michelin all season radials and both of them give better rides than the runflats.

Just my 2 pennies.

steviej

Hey Steviej, you are the first person who mentioned cost when replacing a run-flat, FYI the manual says you need to replace all FOUR tires if you replace a run-flat, so your cost should be closer to $1200. With 44K miles on my GS300 AWD '06, I have not changed my run-flats yet, looks like another 15-20K left on them, but I do appreciate the price difference of $500, for that kind of money I can have AAA tow me, if I ever need it, knock on wood..... eventually, I will switch to non-run-flats, but sorry Michelin, I don't buy French, will have to be another brand.

PS, if you don't have a spare and you dump the runflats, it would be advantageous to put a donut spare in the trunk compartment. That did cost me $250 because my 06 GS didn't come with a spare. Most do now.
PS My car came with a donut spare, didn't yours?
Old 02-19-09, 11:19 AM
tinsnip
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by didit70
i just had my runflats replaced at discount tire with goodyears... much better ride and i only paid $562 as opposed to the $1200 - $1300 for replacement runflats...
Did you have any problems having the tire pressure sensors reset?
Old 02-19-09, 11:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by tinsnip
PS My car came with a donut spare, didn't yours?
technically run-flat tires equiopped cars don't have donut spares. think about it, that's the point of run-flats right?

i am still confused why people have to reset the tps. when i take out the tps and put it in my new wheels, and when i change the tires on my wheels, i never have to reset the tps?
Old 02-19-09, 02:09 PM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly, the only change I have to make when I switch between summer and winter setup is to change the TPMS system to "A" for the summer setup or "B" for the winter setup. 2 sets of tires (blizzaks and summers), 2 sets of wheels, 2 sets of TPMS sensors.
Old 02-19-09, 04:51 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MichaelPea
If I remember correctly, the only change I have to make when I switch between summer and winter setup is to change the TPMS system to "A" for the summer setup or "B" for the winter setup. 2 sets of tires (blizzaks and summers), 2 sets of wheels, 2 sets of TPMS sensors.
yup, that's when you have a 2nd set of tps, then you need to program them and then you can toggle between the two systems. but if you are just reusing the same set of tps, i don't understand why you need to reset them?
Old 02-19-09, 06:06 PM
didit70
Driver School Candidate

they don't need to be reset (as far as i know)... if you just replace the tires, the sensors should still recognize the car... the light on my dash has yet to come on so i don't think anything needs to be reset...
Old 04-14-09, 06:17 PM
borg1of2
Rookie

Originally Posted by steviej
PS, if you don't have a spare and you dump the runflats, it would be advantageous to put a donut spare in the trunk compartment. That did cost me $250 because my 06 GS didn't come with a spare. Most do now.
Originally Posted by bigzip
I couldn't wait until my runflats wore out so I could replace them. I went with Michelin Pilot Sport. I did get 35,500 miles out of them and would have gotten more but one of them went bad. I had to buy a donut spare but I am well satisfied with the Michelin's.
Where did you get/purchase your donut tire. Lexus quoted me $1,000, yes thousand, for "kit', but that is just outrageous.
Old 04-15-09, 06:13 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Try tire rack.
Old 04-15-09, 09:14 AM
borg1of2
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
Try tire rack.
Thanks. I did call them. They "might" have the tire, but don't have the wheel or donut kit.
Old 04-15-09, 09:45 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by borg1of2
Thanks. I did call them. They "might" have the tire, but don't have the wheel or donut kit.
cool, another 450h owner. i see you have been "assimilated". resisting the 450h is futile! (sorry, had to add that in when i saw your username! )
Old 04-19-09, 05:39 PM
borg1of2
Rookie

Wanted to post my update on my donut spare adventure. I looked pretty much everywhere, junk yards, on-line, ebay, etc. and none were to be found. I decided to go ahead and get my new tires. Got the Bridgestone Potenza 960's and I'll say one thing. OMG!!! The ride is sooo much better!!

Anyway, while at the Tire store I saw outback an the discarded tires pile a couple of donut spares they were throwing out, apparently people leave them there. So, we tried a couple of them and one fit, so I ended up getting it for free. I now have a smooth riding GS450h and looking forward to thousands of miles of enjoyment!

Scott
Old 04-19-09, 09:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hhahaa very nice, congrats on ditching the runflats and getting a donut

so i wonder how many people are rushing to tire shop this week to look for donuts, hehe

Quick Reply: Standard or Runflat Tires?