GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Daytime Running Lights? Change them to HID??

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 08:08 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb Daytime Running Lights? Change them to HID??

Has anyone done a conversion on them to make them HID? I was thinking of tapping into the OEM HID's wire harness and replace them with HID? I know I will loose my Highs but with 2 sets of HID plus HID in my Fog lights I am sure i will have plenty of light and will look good at night time?

Do you think this is too much to do? I like the look of the VLeds that someone did on the car but then I dont see those being as bright and not sure I want to give up my Highs for those?

Please post some advice or feedback!

What I would like is if we had HID that was our High/Low beam like they do in a few other cars. That would be slick to have and then do the VLEDS in the daytime lights.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-09, 09:15 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
What I would like is if we had HID that was our High/Low beam like they do in a few other cars. That would be slick to have and then do the VLEDS in the daytime lights.
which car has HID for high/low beam?
Old 01-02-09, 09:27 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^
A lot of cars like BMW come with bi-xenon for both low and high, but still comes with halogen high for flashing purpose

you will also lose the DRL, not just your high

totally not worth it IMO not to mention wasted space for more ballasts mounting in the bay
Old 01-02-09, 09:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Mike, Its call Bi-xenons, they have them on BMW, MB and Audis. You connot run HID as DRL cus its only half power in the DRL mode.
Old 01-02-09, 10:33 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Mike, Its call Bi-xenons, they have them on BMW, MB and Audis. You connot run HID as DRL cus its only half power in the DRL mode.
bingo.

your DRL = half of high beam.
Old 01-02-09, 04:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yea I know its 1/2 but if I tap off the OEM HID then I would be running 100% but just lose my high beam then but have an extra set of HID, with 3 sets of HID I cant see why I would need High Beams anymore? I just hate the look of the DRL.
Old 01-02-09, 04:36 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would be nice...but u lose your dummy light, which isn't really a big deal. Are you using it for driving all the time? Like...would you make the high beams level w/ the lows? that would look pretty nice IMO.......and replace your fogs w/ them too.....

that would be sick...seeing 3 HID 6 bulbs on...all at once! that would be blinding...i would sure hate to be in front of you at night! hahaha....

cuz i have HID's in my fogs...and the V-LED DRL's in my highs....ppl already get mad at me b/c of my fogs.....they usually move out the way....or slow down....get behind me......and HIGH beam me back....haha
Old 01-02-09, 04:49 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you know your fog light are turned off when your high is on right

so you are not gonna have 3 HID on at the same time, again, i just don't see the point of doing this
Old 01-02-09, 05:20 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldnt have any High Beams or use the OEM plug for them. What I would do is tap the OEM HID plug/wire to run another HID light so I would have 2 sets of HID when my lights are on and my fogs are HID already so If I have all on at once it technically gives me 3 sets of lights but I only have my Lights on and my Fog lights on. I loose my day time lights and High beams if I do this....Just trying to get rid of the ugly DRL's and figure the extra HID lights give me plent at night that I wont ever need High Beams I hate the lights in the Lexus cars. Just seems to be weak compared to other MFG's I have owned. It may not work but was just an idea. If I do the VLED then I loose the high beam and not sure if it will give enough light output to that direction.
Old 01-02-09, 07:35 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

You cannot tap off the low beam to the high beam if thats what you mean. One HID ballast cannot run 2 bulbs.
Old 01-02-09, 08:21 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

What I would do is T tap the OEM wire Harness so I will have another set of ballast. The OEM on/off light switch for my HID would fire them on/off. there will be nothing connected to the High Beam/DRL wire that is currently there.

So I will have this:
OEM HID & Ballast
HID Fogs & Ballast
HID & Ballast

HI Beam switch in car wont do anything as I will take those connectors and tape them off to seal them up. I am only using the spot where this bulb would go. Hope that makes better sense
Old 01-03-09, 09:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

You would have to aim your high beam as low as your low beam if thats even possible. Also 4 HID light aimed low does not equal to high beam which is aim much higher. I am not even going mention all the cops that will be pulling you over.
Old 01-03-09, 09:31 AM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

lol.....I would be like...."yea officer...it came stock like that" ....haha
Old 01-03-09, 07:52 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By law, you can only have 4 white lights on at the same time in the front of the car. That's why your fog would go off when you flash or turn on your high beam. And like The G Man said, just because you have 6 HIDs doesn't mean you're going to see as far as you would with high beams.

Why don't you have your DRL turned off?
Old 01-03-09, 08:01 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally do not see if it is even worth of doing.........

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights? Change them to HID??