GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Emporer Mark Levinson is not wearing any clothes!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 12:32 AM
coreyco
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emporer Mark Levinson is not wearing any clothes!

After hearing all the accolades regarding the Mark Levinson system, I've been trying in earnest over the last month of ownership to see what all the hype is about. I don't want to be the one in the crowd to scream "the emporer is not wearing any clothes", so perhaps I'm missing something. My main complaint is FM. This system has a tinny, trebly sound, without an overall pleasant balance. Sort of like an FM radio from a GM car from the early 70's, where the rear speaker option was ordered. I also own a '97 ES300 with the stock premium sound system, which has a much better balanced sound, pleasing to listen to. On the ML, I've tried increasing bass and mid, while decreasing treble. Also tried with Surround sound function on and off. As far as the DVD-A's are concerned, they are a further source of dissappointment. I've listened to the Beatles "Love" , Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" and an Austrian orchestra's rendition of Beethoven's 7th, without being impressed with the technology. Sure, CD reproduction is good with the ML, but my home burned CD's seem to do the job as well as the 5.1 productions.
The saving grace is found in the DVD Videos, where Terminator 2 was quite impressive. But I don't want to cruise the CA freeways listening to Arnold blow crap up. I miss the simple things in life...I miss my favorite FM stations. Do I really need to drive the ol' reliable ES to achieve an acceptacle listening experience? I didn't expect Emporer Levinson to be delivered with full regal attire and gold jewelry...but at least he could have sported a modest Speedo and tank top.

Corey
Redondo Beach, CA
'07 GS350 Red/tan
'97 ES300 Navy/taupe - 58K miles
'02 NSX Sil/sil - 8K miles

Last edited by coreyco; 12-01-08 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-01-08, 12:43 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont about others, but when I heard both systems I could hear only a slight difference at very high volume. They ask way to much for the system upgrade imo
Old 12-01-08, 01:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

among the newer lexus with mark levinson, i have always said that the gs is the biggest disappointment. even the 2is has better ML system than the 3gs imho, not to mention the ls460 and lx570 reference system totally in a different league

to me, i can hear the difference between the stock and ml system in the 3gs. i wouldn't say it's dramatic but it's enough for me to hear the difference. and for the added features of ml (like dvd capabilities) it's just nice for trips and worth the price upgrade for me. but i very much agree that the sound could be better

i rarely listen to fm, i do CD most of the time. lol i guess when i have to listen to am/fm, that's when i try to figure out about the traffic and i can really care less about the sound quality
Old 12-01-08, 05:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The ML system much like Lexus was the best 5 years ago in its price range. Others have caught up and pass ML in sound quality.
Old 12-01-08, 03:00 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

i was going to get the ML in my GS, but after consulting my car audio/electronics guru i was advised to not spend the extra bread, and put it towards a worthy upgrade
Old 12-01-08, 03:15 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

after listening to the ML system, it's not bad for a "stock" system. it isn't great as most of you have pointed out, but it does the job for 95% of the people (how many GS drivers are actually hi-end audiophiles that are interested in sound quality, imaging and staging?). for those who are more finicky about their sound quality, definitely go with aftermarket as retrospexo suggested.
Old 12-01-08, 03:28 PM
coreyco
Rookie

Has any GS with ML owner found the optimum settings for listening to FM?
DSP - on or off?
Bass/mid/treble settings?
Balance?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-01-08, 04:17 PM
ejvette
Driver

I was trying to decide on the ML so brought my own CD to the dealer and played it on an ML and a standard i couldnt tell enough difference to justify the ML price so I went with the standard system.

Of course i have no need for DVD's if you have to have the DVD thing then go for it.
Old 12-01-08, 05:11 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coreyco
Has any GS with ML owner found the optimum settings for listening to FM?
DSP - on or off?
Bass/mid/treble settings?
Balance?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I couldn't have agreed more on what you said about the system, the ML is disappointing.

However, I got a loaner ES350 with the standard system the other day, and the difference between the ML and non-ML is night and day. I just don't see how one can say that he can't hear a difference.

Mine is set with surround off.

Assuming the range goes from -5 to +5...can't recall the range, and too lazy to go out to the garage to check.
Bass - 2.5
Mid - 0
Trebble - 5
Balance/Fade - center
Old 12-01-08, 05:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by KevGS460ML
I couldn't have agreed more on what you said about the system, the ML is disappointing.

However, I got a loaner ES350 with the standard system the other day, and the difference between the ML and non-ML is night and day. I just don't see how one can say that he can't hear a difference.

Mine is set with surround off.

Assuming the range goes from -5 to +5...can't recall the range, and too lazy to go out to the garage to check.
Bass - 2.5
Mid - 0
Trebble - 5
Balance/Fade - center
well to be fair you can't really compare es350 premium audio to gs ml system. if anything it should be gs premium vs ml.
Old 12-01-08, 05:38 PM
coreyco
Rookie

["Assuming the range goes from -5 to +5...can't recall the range, and too lazy to go out to the garage to check.
Bass - 2.5
Mid - 0
Trebble - 5
Balance/Fade - center"[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input, Kev. Are your suggested settings for bass and treble both positive figures? In other words, are you setting bass at +5 and treble at +2.5? If so, perhaps I should give that a try, as I have been diminishing the treble in an effort to get rid of the shrill, trebly overall sound.
Old 12-01-08, 05:43 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate listening to FM in my car... Its terrible. The ML was worth it when CD/DVD/iPod is playing...
Old 12-01-08, 05:48 PM
coreyco
Rookie

Originally Posted by vietdeluxx
I hate listening to FM in my car... Its terrible. The ML was worth it when CD/DVD/iPod is playing...
In just a few words, you have efficiently and effectively summed up my opinion of the ML system in the GS.
Old 12-01-08, 05:58 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rominl
well to be fair you can't really compare es350 premium audio to gs ml system. if anything it should be gs premium vs ml.
My mistake then, I thought they would be the same since they're both Lexus, and similar in size. I wouldn't have thought Lexus will spend extra $$ just to design a system to fit each car when they're so similar.
Old 12-01-08, 06:00 PM
KevGS460ML
Intermediate

Originally Posted by coreyco
["Assuming the range goes from -5 to +5...can't recall the range, and too lazy to go out to the garage to check.
Bass - 2.5
Mid - 0
Trebble - 5
Balance/Fade - center"
Thanks for your input, Kev. Are your suggested settings for bass and treble both positive figures? In other words, are you setting bass at +5 and treble at +2.5? If so, perhaps I should give that a try, as I have been diminishing the treble in an effort to get rid of the shrill, trebly overall sound.[/QUOTE]

Both positive, but you got them reversed. Bass @ 2.5, and Treb @ 5.

Quick Reply: Emporer Mark Levinson is not wearing any clothes!