GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Side Mirror motor problem =(

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 03:36 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Side Mirror motor problem =(

Ok, so I'm coming down a narrow (2-way) street, and this van is coming in the opposite direction, he makes no attempt to veer a little to his right as I veered a little towards mine so we can easily pass. I end up having to jerk to the right slightly to avoid his dumb *ss and I hit my passenger's side mirror on a parked car's side mirror. No damage to that car, a tiny sliver of my side mirror housing cracks off (hard to notice, but still irritating), you can see the white plastic casing underneath where the painted shell had covered.

Here's the problem: when the mirror was hit, it was thrown into the "folded-in" position. I push the fold-in button to bring my driver's side mirror in, and then hit the button again with the result of opening up both mirrors this time. They open successfully, however, whenever I fold in/out my side mirrors, the passenger's side mirror (the one that was struck) takes a longer time to fold in/out. I think I'll have a shop fill in the little crack with bondo or something and just paint the side mirror, but it's the folding mechanism/motor that I'm wondering about.

I've had this problem once before, but the delay in the folding/unfolding was never this long. It's like 2 seconds off, it's driving me nuts! Should I have the dealer look at it? What should I do?
Old 10-29-08, 11:56 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe the impact broke a tooth on a gear causing the delay.
Old 10-30-08, 12:23 AM
boaclub923
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh crap... not the side mirror again..
i just had my passenger side mirror replaced...
550 plus installation and tax
and.. installation requires to take door trim off...
my bill was 750 @.@
Old 10-30-08, 05:46 AM
ecount00
Lexus Test Driver

If it's driving you nuts, you need to have it fixed and I think that means a trip to the dealer.
Old 10-30-08, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

How many times do you actually use that folding mirror function, its a nice toy but I dont get too much use out of it.
Old 10-30-08, 06:02 AM
Flynlow
Rookie

Originally Posted by The G Man
How many times do you actually use that folding mirror function, its a nice toy but I dont get too much use out of it.

Agree. If it were a LS that fold them automatically when you park, I'd have to get it fixed. Not worth it for the couple times I've used it.
Old 10-30-08, 06:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Too bad you were not fast enough to fold it before you hit the other car's mirror.
Old 10-30-08, 10:22 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

probably used it twice since I got the car

your side mirror obviously had an impact which broke something, just let the body shop worry about it
Old 10-30-08, 10:32 AM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by boaclub923
oh crap... not the side mirror again..
i just had my passenger side mirror replaced...
550 plus installation and tax
and.. installation requires to take door trim off...
my bill was 750 @.@
ouch... well that's much better than the paranoid price I ran up in my head last night lol
Old 10-30-08, 10:34 AM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

I use it a lot... daily. Back and forth between Queens & Brooklyn everyday parking on local streets, yadda, yadda, yadda... =/
Old 10-30-08, 10:36 AM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Too bad you were not fast enough to fold it before you hit the other car's mirror.
lol... I usually do that, I was just lazy this time o_0 ...my bad move. I got into the habit of that with my previous car, I ordered the JDM factory mirrors which were power folding (+built in blind spot reflector ) and got very much into the habit of folding while driving. The Lex just got me too comfortable
Old 10-30-08, 10:37 AM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whlkev
probably used it twice since I got the car

your side mirror obviously had an impact which broke something, just let the body shop worry about it
lol... they'll be happy to worry about it when I shell out 7 bones
Old 10-30-08, 11:23 AM
Flynlow
Rookie

Another option would be to go to a auto glass & trim shop. Lots of dealers sub the glass and interior work out. Years ago the shop I worked at done work for a Pontiac and a Lincoln-Mercury dealership. Check some in your area, they may be able to get the mirror head cheaper also.
Old 10-30-08, 12:39 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flynlow
Another option would be to go to a auto glass & trim shop. Lots of dealers sub the glass and interior work out. Years ago the shop I worked at done work for a Pontiac and a Lincoln-Mercury dealership. Check some in your area, they may be able to get the mirror head cheaper also.
I didn't think of that, I figured these guys typically just deal with the mirror and glass itself, not necessarily involved with any repairing of the mechanics which may be related. I'll call up a few in my area, thanks for the idea
Old 10-30-08, 12:49 PM
retrospexo
Lead Lap

Default ouch

on another (funnier? ) note, right after I found a parking spot for work yesterday morning, I saw one of those "Access-A-Ride" buses double park to pick up a little old lady. Apparently the guy pulled in too close to the parked vehicles, and when he was pulling out, you can hear an unnerving 'Crr-Aackk!' -while trying to pull out (at like 2 mph) he ripped off an X5's driver's side mirror and left it hanging by a couple wires

The guy who owned it (apparently) was nearby or in his house or wherever, and by the time I got close enough I saw the driver out of his bus calling HQ or something (with the X5 owner next to him) trying to figure out wtf to do. I felt bad for that little old lady, she was probably all late for her bingo game or what not.

Last edited by retrospexo; 11-01-08 at 12:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Side Mirror motor problem =(