GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

06 GS430 - Sensitive Sales Mgr at L of Naperville, or Is it a sellers market?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-08, 03:03 PM
yelnoc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 GS430 - Sensitive Sales Mgr at L of Naperville, or Is it a sellers market?

This in related to my post titled - 06 GS430 Lexus of Naperville 26K/$34K.

So, I got a canned reply back from L of Naperville which included: " Our pre-owned (used) vehicles advertised on the Internet are carefully and competitively priced below market value and are already discounted for our Internet customers. We do not negotiate our pre-owned vehicle pricing by e-mail or over the phone."

I acknowledged and respected the policy, told them the price was fine and I asked some questions in a series of emails where I sought to get some indication that I wasn't wasting my time and $50 in gas to drive over to see it. The response was to reiterate their policy: "We do apologize, however we do not offer estimated or "ballpark" trade-in values, and we do not discount our Lexus Certified vehicles because the Lexus Certified warranty is included in the price." And then when I asked about run-flats, low dust brake pads on the car I got no response. Again I did not ask for a ballpark figure or question the price, I only sought to get something, come see us we'll work something or f-off we don't want your trade. So then I ratched the discourse up a bit and then asked for the contact info for the sales manager. Well it comes back "I am the sales manager." Certainly it was a risk in implying I was going over this guys head. I felt like I had respected their policies but I was left to gauge how complete this guy's disinterest was in the deal or take a flyer and drive over.

There are more than a handful of 06-07 GS 4's within 300 miles of me and that includes Chicago area, so maybe its a seller market and I was being too much of a smart ***.

Where did I go wrong? Is it a seller's market for 06-07 GS 4's or what?
Old 09-16-08, 03:08 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a buyer's market.Take a ride there and negotiate.
Trade in used vehicle prices are in most cases 30% over what they took the vehicle in for.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-16-08 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-16-08, 03:28 PM
yelnoc
Rookie

I kinda thought it was. I just felt like I wasn't asking too much for a come on in and we'll deal response. Sometimes a smart *** rubs a smart *** the wrong way, but it was like reverse psychology sales tactics.
Old 09-16-08, 03:34 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by yelnoc
I kinda thought it was. I just felt like I wasn't asking too much for a come on in and we'll deal response. Sometimes a smart *** rubs a smart *** the wrong way, but it was like reverse psychology sales tactics.
Usually on a used car they'll say come in and we'll talk..
You hit him with too much maybe.
Online negotiating works better with new vehicle,IMO.
Buyers often know invoice cost and know if the deal is a good one..
A dealer most likely will not give you a trade price over the phone or email.
They want to see the trade in and get you to the showroom.
Old 09-16-08, 03:34 PM
GS3.0
Lexus Test Driver

Sounds like they just lost a potential buyer. Thats just bad sales tactics on the managers part. I guess they're over their sales quota. lol
Old 09-16-08, 03:43 PM
yelnoc
Rookie

Yes lost a buyer, but no indication that it mattered to the sales manager. I did not want or expect even a soft number without seeing my car. But, I would have liked any indication negative or positive that they were interested in a trade or not. It was like the Direct Buy sales pitch, if you're familiar. I really tried to respect their policy but just felt like they thought I was someone that was a virtual tire kicker. I guarantee that had it been at my dealer, I'd be driving it now. Perhaps I should have called, but I hate to give out a phone number, but assure you I would have called had the guy asked.
Old 09-16-08, 03:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

whoever sales that don't understand it's a full buyer's market now and think they are holding gold in their hand, they really don't know how things work

just like the bmw and mb sales that we encountered last weekend. i wonder if they realize they just can't sell any of the 100k cars and were lucky that we were even checking them out
Old 09-16-08, 04:41 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Yes lost a buyer, but no indication that it mattered to the sales manager. I did not want or expect even a soft number without seeing my car. But, I would have liked any indication negative or positive that they were interested in a trade or not. It was like the Direct Buy sales pitch, if you're familiar. I really tried to respect their policy but just felt like they thought I was someone that was a virtual tire kicker. I guarantee that had it been at my dealer, I'd be driving it now. Perhaps I should have called, but I hate to give out a phone number, but assure you I would have called had the guy asked.
L of Naperville is a big dealer. I'm surprised the Sales Manager would be handling internet sales. It might help to look online at the "Staff" of the dealership to make sure the person you were dealing with is really the Sales Manager. Most dealerships have an internet contact person. I would think the Sales Manager would like to continue the discussion and perhaps sell you the car. If not, as you said, it's a strange situation.
Old 09-16-08, 05:00 PM
yelnoc
Rookie

My thought exactly, although some risk involved on his part if not true.

At Lujack in Davenport - a relatively small dealer, the internet guy is the son of one of the execs, sales manager or something. He's my age - old - but very attentive, customer service oriented and always trying. - I looked up and down Naperville's site and couldn't find any reference to who is what other than the President's name on the welcome letter - under contact us, it's a generic email form. Could not find any link that listed staff. But its over, want the car, good price, but there will be another.
Old 09-16-08, 05:07 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lexus dealers often list their staff on their website. Cross-reference his name with the titles on that list. I know it may be hard to believe that a used car dealer might stoop to this, but he may be lying.
Old 09-16-08, 05:34 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
just like the bmw and mb sales that we encountered last weekend. i wonder if they realize they just can't sell any of the 100k cars and were lucky that we were even checking them out
Looking to get a new car Henry?
Old 09-16-08, 05:41 PM
yelnoc
Rookie

Default What does "Master Certified" mean exactly?

I'm omitting his name to make this less, well whatever. So it doesn't say Sales Manager and like I say, can't find any staff listing on their site.

XXX
Master Certified
Internet Business Development Manager
Lexus of Naperville
2480 Aurora Ave.
Naperville, IL 60540
Old 09-16-08, 06:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm omitting his name to make this less, well whatever. So it doesn't say Sales Manager and like I say, can't find any staff listing on their site.

XXX
Master Certified
Internet Business Development Manager
Lexus of Naperville
2480 Aurora Ave.
Naperville, IL 60540
When I was shopping for my car at Lexus of Orland Park I remember seeing a couple of sales reps with Master Certified under their names. I'm not sure but I think it's kind of an honorary thing if the rep has been certified by Lexus/dealer for product knowledge, customer service etc. I think they were all sales reps vs. sales managers though.
Old 09-16-08, 06:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want I will send you my buddies info as we talked in the PM's. Its up to you!
Old 09-16-08, 11:12 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you felt offended already, the sale is most likely not going to be smooth. Don't let any of the bitter taste in your month by the dealer. On the flipside, if you are happy to drive to check the car out, you might find surprises.

Quick Reply: 06 GS430 - Sensitive Sales Mgr at L of Naperville, or Is it a sellers market?