GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Slight squeaking from right hand side of car

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-08, 11:16 AM
lonwa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight squeaking from right hand side of car

Hey guys,

Just purchased a new GS350 RWD, and I noticed on the drive home, and ever since (that was saturday), a slight squeaking from the passenger side of the car. I only notice it when I have the window down, and the stereo off. It usually only happens at slower speeds, but there may be too much wind noise with the windows down at higher speeds to be able to hear it then.

Any ideas?

I will ask Lexus about it at the 1K mile inspection, but if other people have experienced it, that would probably help me better explain the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Lonwa
Old 09-04-08, 12:04 PM
Strad6708
Rookie

I can also hear a noise at lower speeds when the windows are down and the radio is off. I thought it was coming from the suspension, because I only hear it when driving over bumps, but the noise sounds less like a squeak to me and more like a metallic rattle. I hear this noise ONLY when the windows are down, so since I drive with the windows closed 99% of the time, I don't really care. I'm now wondering, though, if perhaps the noise is related to the windows being down and somehow rattling inside the door - that would explain why I don't hear the noise at any other time. Hmm.
Old 09-04-08, 12:28 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

don't let this get to you. increase the threshold of your tolerance.

enjoy the car, and let the rattle get louder. Then take it in.

it could be the seatbelt rubbing against the seat. buckle it and see if that helps.

it's minor.
Old 09-04-08, 01:11 PM
lonwa
Rookie

Yeah, mine is definitely more a squeak than a metalic rattle. It does seem to happen when I go over rougher roads too.

I thought the same thing about it being related to the window being down, but it sounds slightly distant, so not from the general area of the window. Also, I can hear it if either one of the side windows is open, not just one in particular.
Old 09-08-08, 05:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

If you are the type that hates squeaks and rattles, the GS is going to drive you crazy
Old 09-08-08, 07:00 AM
lonwa
Rookie

I hope you are joking!!
Old 09-08-08, 07:03 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lonwa
I hope you are joking!!
He isn't!
Old 09-08-08, 07:26 AM
lonwa
Rookie

So when did it become acceptable to pay almost $50K on a "Luxury" car, that is notorious for rattles and squeaks?

My previous car (99 Honda Prelude) never once had any of the problems people are posting in this forum, and it only cost me 24K.

Have you guys been jaded since you rove this site regularly, or are these legitimate issues the majoring of Lexus GS owners experience?

If these are known issues with Lexus, then why so many owners, and people who rave about the car?
Old 09-08-08, 07:35 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

So when did it become acceptable to pay almost $50K on a "Luxury" car, that is notorious for rattles and squeaks?

My previous car (99 Honda Prelude) never once had any of the problems people are posting in this forum, and it only cost me 24K.

Have you guys been jaded since you rove this site regularly, or are these legitimate issues the majoring of Lexus GS owners experience?

If these are known issues with Lexus, then why so many owners, and people who rave about the car?
Well being honest,I haven't had any rattle issues yet.
However,I was told by my service advisor,I will experience rattles and creaks when the cold weather arrives but are repairable.He said they have done many GS rattle repairs since the '06 model came out.
He also mentioned how he can't believe Lexus hasn't solved this dash rattle problem that has existed for 3 years in the GS.
Quality has gone down in the whole Toyota/Lexus line.
I've read here that that some have rattles and creaks in any temperature.
My '06 IS had rattle and creaking issues.My RX is pretty tight but hasn't seen a winter yet.
I love the GS(at this point,anyway) but I don't think I'd buy another one.
After 3 Lexus vehicles in a row,I think I'm going with Audi next time.
Old 09-08-08, 08:22 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Every car have its short coming, no car is perfect. If rattles and squeaks is the only major issue in the GS, then Lexus is not doing too bad.
Old 09-08-08, 09:05 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't have major squeak and rattles yet.

i hear an occasional light squeak, I think??? it's very light. but i'm not gonna ride looking like a retard with my head cocked crooked to one side, ears acting like a radar to see if I can detect where the sound is coming from.

there are other important things...... like paying attention to the road and enjoying driving.

i've also accepted rattles because bmw's have them too. the grass isn't greener.........
Old 09-08-08, 09:06 AM
lonwa
Rookie

Of course no car is perfect. Never will be.

The problem is that when you start paying more money you expect a more refined ride, not less. And you expect these issues to be addressed.
Old 09-08-08, 10:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Well the Lexus dealer actually do try to fix the rattles, unlike Toyota dealers.
Old 09-08-08, 12:25 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i have a bad dash rattle in my 06. some days its quite and some days its pretty noticable. i can almost pin point it from coming out of the dash near the speaker grilles. i can usually notice it in the morning because im still tired when i drive to work and my radio isnt up past volumn 10 lol. on my way home from work my radio is usually loud enough to drown out the noise. ive been meaning to take it to lexus but havent actually done it yet.
Old 09-08-08, 01:09 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys,

Just purchased a new GS350 RWD, and I noticed on the drive home, and ever since (that was saturday), a slight squeaking from the passenger side of the car. I only notice it when I have the window down, and the stereo off. It usually only happens at slower speeds, but there may be too much wind noise with the windows down at higher speeds to be able to hear it then.

Any ideas?

Lonwa

I think I might know where the squeaking noise coming from, I HAD the same issue of noise coming form the rear-passanger-side (plus the usual, dash noise, and front&rear windshield creaking).

Finally after 10+ tried, my mechanic (at Sewell, they assign each vehicle to a mechanic and he/she is the only person will work on it. I love it, b/c it makes more personal!!!) found the source of the noise. Creaking noise was coming from behind of the "hand handler" on the roofline. So he removed the roodline and tighten all the screws (I think that is what he did anyway).

NOW MY TOY IS NOISE FREE!!!

Quick Reply: Slight squeaking from right hand side of car