GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Which one?
Acura TL SH-AWD 2009
20.00%
GS 350 AWD
69.09%
Get a Goat!
10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

GS350AWD or 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 04:52 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default GS350AWD or 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD ?

My wife and I have been waiting for the "right time" to get a GS350AWD, but news just out from Acura that the next gen. TL will come with the SH-AWD (probably as option) and "the most powerful engine ever by Acura" which means low 300's.

I know that market wise, the TL has competed with the ES, but given the configuration, project HP of say 312, and AWD, will this even factor into the minds of some, or most, GS350AWD owners?

For me, it's worth the wait and look until end of year to see what the real deal with the TL is. If it's more hype than goods, then we'll get the GS350AWD during the Dec. to Remember event.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought, and does this make Lexus have to up the ante with the ES?
Old 07-13-08, 05:11 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they come out with that " most powerful engine " by acura and put it in a TL, what about their flagship car the RL?.... I heard rumors about a 300hp TL but who knows? we'll have to wait and see, kinda excited to see that but with that SH-AWD as an option its looking temping....
Old 07-13-08, 05:17 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you can look at the new Acura's and their guillotine grills for more than 10 seconds without puking then maybe you should consider it. The new RL and the TL are butt ugly-disgusting even. Plus, their quality and service is nowhere near Lexus. They are a rude company wherein people who ever have to get something done by customer service always get blown off and told "this is normal" or "that's not covered by warranty". They are a horrible company who I had to take legal action against to buy back my defective car which the company plan out told me to fly a kite. Do youself a favor and dont think about them as any sort of luxury alternative because they have no class at all.
Old 07-13-08, 05:25 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
If they come out with that " most powerful engine " by acura and put it in a TL, what about their flagship car the RL?.... I heard rumors about a 300hp TL but who knows? we'll have to wait and see, kinda excited to see that but with that SH-AWD as an option its looking temping....
In a year or two the RL will be redesigned and probably get a larger motor at that time. Same with the current RL. When the 2001-2003TL and 3rd Gen TL all had a lot more HP than the RL until the new RL came out in 2005.

If the new TL is indeed coming out at the end of this year I'd wait to see what it has to offer if you don't need a car right now. Options are always good and you have to explore all your options to make the best decision.
Old 07-13-08, 05:27 PM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CK6Speed
In a year or two the RL will be redesigned and probably get a larger motor at that time. Same with the current RL. When the 2001-2003TL and 3rd Gen TL all had a lot more HP than the RL until the new RL came out in 2005.

If the new TL is indeed coming out at the end of this year I'd wait to see what it has to offer if you don't need a car right now. Options are always good and you have to explore all your options to make the best decision.
Larger motor? hoping for a v8? lol honda needs one.
Old 07-13-08, 05:28 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nauticalx
If you can look at the new Acura's and their guillotine grills for more than 10 seconds without puking then maybe you should consider it. The new RL and the TL are butt ugly-disgusting even. Plus, their quality and service is nowhere near Lexus. They are a rude company wherein people who ever have to get something done by customer service always get blown off and told "this is normal" or "that's not covered by warranty". They are a horrible company who I had to take legal action against to buy back my defective car which the company plan out told me to fly a kite. Do youself a favor and dont think about them as any sort of luxury alternative because they have no class at all.
I agree about the new Acura grills and somewhat controversial styling, but I disagree about Acura service being that bad. Its all different from dealer to dealer. The Acura dealership in my area is very much equal in quality and service to the Lexus dealership and most of the other luxury dealerships. Also Lexus is not immune to the "It's normal and blow you off" syndrome. I myself have heard it from the Lexus dealership.
Old 07-13-08, 06:12 PM
LexFather

Tell them how you really feel!
I will agree their new designs resemble tin foil that has been put in a blender. They are horrid. The TL SH-AWD will be FWD bias but will probably handle better than the GS 350 AWD, unless Acura blows the steering again like in the new TSX (electric assist).

I also expect the new TL to have all sorts of tech gadgets standard and optional. The price of the TL will rise as well.

The SH AWD TL will have 310 or so HP but will weigh probably more than the GS, so acceleration times probably won't improve any or much over the outgoing Tl-S. The engine while now 3.7 liters is very old in design compared to the Lexus 3.5, which not only has class leading power but class leading fuel economy.

Remember, this is mostly speculation as we just got the first pic of it a couple days ago and Acura has not released all data yet.

However just LOOKING at it, the GS wins by a landslide.

Last edited by LexFather; 07-13-08 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-13-08, 06:47 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Did Acura hire that designer that was fired by BMW and Subaru? That grill on the new TL is too pimped out. I am sure its ok for a gangster, but for the average driver, its way too much. With that grill, I wouldnt even care if the new TL handles better than a BMW and deliveries 400 hp, I will be not be seen with that star trek grill
Old 07-13-08, 06:53 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
The RL "I am told" will not longer be in the US market. The TL will become the flagship car for Acura and the NEW TSX is the replacement of the TL. I am sure many will disagree with me but we have one of the largest Acura dealers right in my backyard and I am close friends with the family. They are overseas very often and this is what they are telling me they are told. Time will tell and makes no difference to me either way. If they continue to MFG the TL in Ohio then if they move it overseas then
Old 07-13-08, 07:09 PM
AlexusAnja

I will still wait to see how the interior looks too. It's hard to really see some times just from pictures how good, or bad, a particular car is. The previous gen. TSX I liked in pictures, then when I saw live, it was disappointing. The current TSX I didn't like from pictures, but in person it's not too bad. I'm going to sit and see how the TL will be, especially the interior, to see if they luxo'd it up, or cheapened it, like the new TSX.

Until the TL comes out, I will say the GS looks like it has more classic, smooth lines and we'll probably lean towards it from a "Lexus Name" standpoint and brand loyalty.
Old 07-13-08, 07:13 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had 4 Acuras, all Legends and TL's. As a matter of fact the best car I've owned so far is my 94 Legend (bullet-proof), the jury is still out on my GS350. I have dealt with the same dealership since 1994 and have had nothing but the best treatment from them. My 99' TL was broken into while at the dealership two years ago and they didn't even hesitate to begin the repairs and replacement of everything that was stolen including $2,500 worth of stereo equipment. They even gave me a new TL to drive for two months while they repaired my car.

Now my Lexus dealer is starting to **** me off! First, when I purchased the car they had it delivered from another dealership and they forgot to bring both key fobs. So the salesman says that he will send someone to the other dealership and have them pick up the other key fob Monday. Well, that didn't happen so I called him that Wednesday to find out if they had the key and of course they couldn't find it so they would have to order another one. Well, the following Monday I get a call stating that the key fob just arrived and I need to schedule an appointment so that it can be programmed plus they still owed me a detail because I still had pieces of plastic and other spots in the car that needed attention. So I asked for a loaner car while they took care of both of these and I was told that it had to be in for service for at least two hours in order for me to receive a loaner car and the time needed for the detail can't be included. So far this so-called "excellent experience" has me wondering if I should have taken a serious look at the RL.
Old 07-13-08, 07:42 PM
AlexusAnja

Default Acura reliability

Originally Posted by Gotcha350
I've had 4 Acuras, all Legends and TL's. As a matter of fact the best car I've owned so far is my 94 Legend (bullet-proof), the jury is still out on my GS350.
Bulletproof? The only reason I'm even considering the TL is because my '92 Acura Integra GS-R with 220K just won't die. Believe me, the way I drive it, if it were say a Chevy Cobalt or Dodge Neon, it would have died over 10 years ago. I have a few friends who have the current TL and they love it and have excellent reliability... anyway, to each their own.

I'll be "shopping" end of year for a nice X-mas present...
Old 07-13-08, 08:05 PM
Gotcha350
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Bulletproof? The only reason I'm even considering the TL is because my '92 Acura Integra GS-R with 220K just won't die. Believe me, the way I drive it, if it were say a Chevy Cobalt or Dodge Neon, it would have died over 10 years ago. I have a few friends who have the current TL and they love it and have excellent reliability... anyway, to each their own.

I'll be "shopping" end of year for a nice X-mas present...
The only thing that I have had to replace on that car is the normal wear and tear items. The dealer replaced the radiator when the car was still under warranty because the tech broke a tab that was attached to the radiator with held a cable in place. I've had the 1st and 2nd gen TL (drove the 3rd gen for two months) and I still think that my 94 Legend was a better built car. Now the 3rd gen TL is way better than the first two.
Old 07-13-08, 09:50 PM
NYDesi80
Rookie

Yup, I agree defenitley give the TL some thought, I own both the TL and GS right now and both have their pluses and minuses which I dont want to list. One thing is for sure though, the TL is much more "fun" to drive any day over my "GS" but my GS is much more "comfortable" to drive than my TL any day.

Some people buy into the badge too much and dont judge the cars for what they truly are. Acura is defenitely worth the consideration.
Old 07-14-08, 05:01 AM
AlexusAnja

Wink

Originally Posted by NYDesi80
Some people buy into the badge too much and dont judge the cars for what they truly are. Acura is defenitely worth the consideration.
Acura is getting better, but still lags in many people's mind over Lexus and Infiniti. I personally do not like wood trim for various reasons, but if you're a luxo make and decide to put wood trim, then use real wood trim, not faux wood trim. And if you're going to use faux wood trim, don't use the horrific wood that was in the first gen MDX. That was Chrysler grade faux wood.

I've sat in my friend's 3rd gen TL a few times and the interior is top notch for sure, but for some reason and honestly it's probably purely psychological, it just didn't wow me like most Lexus interiors for quality. It might the badge thing, or it might just be the whole MB vs. BMW thing and people just liking one over the other for whatever reason.

Quick Reply: GS350AWD or 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD ?