GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Depreciation

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-08, 10:04 PM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Depreciation

I just read a "long term" review of the GS450h in an automobile magazine (I dont remember which one or I would find it to quote it) and they made a comment of a 1 year old car being worth (I think) $33,??? or somewhere around there and it was referring to the fact they felt the car depreciated quite a bit.
Do the hybrid cars depreciate faster than the "fuel only" cars? Is this extreme?
It shocked me quite a bit to read that and I dont know if they are lookin g at KBB or if that is "true life" resale (or even trade in" pricing??

I have an '06 GS430 and love it, I have always been very happy with the resale value of my sold Lexus cars. I just sold an '05 LX and got more than I expected!!
Old 05-25-08, 07:45 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

KBB price the 07 GS450H at $41000. I also notice for some reason, the Lexus SUV holds its value a lot better than their sedans. I am sure with the gas price the way they are, thats bound to change soon.

I read a very interesting article about Hybrids as well the other day. The author was talking about older hybrids on the use car market. As hybrids get older, say a 7 or 8 year old hybrid, it will need a battery change soon, in 10 to 12 years I think. These batteries cost somehwere around $5000 just for the parts. The depreciation of a 7 to 8 year old hybrid is more rapid because of this additional major maintenance item.
Old 05-25-08, 10:17 PM
Golgo13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I have been in the market for cars (16YO) I have always been attracted to the lexus and the way they keep their value better than even the EUROS
Old 05-26-08, 09:35 AM
trusso
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
KBB price the 07 GS450H at $41000. I also notice for some reason, the Lexus SUV holds its value a lot better than their sedans. I am sure with the gas price the way they are, thats bound to change soon.

I read a very interesting article about Hybrids as well the other day. The author was talking about older hybrids on the use car market. As hybrids get older, say a 7 or 8 year old hybrid, it will need a battery change soon, in 10 to 12 years I think. These batteries cost somehwere around $5000 just for the parts. The depreciation of a 7 to 8 year old hybrid is more rapid because of this additional major maintenance item.
Thats more like it although it still seems low for such a great car. They may have been looking at the trade in value (to make for a good story).
My GS (06 430) get pretty good mileage, they should make a Hybrid 460+electric motor. (I guess that would be a new string altogether)
I still cannot find the article to quote exactly, I get too many car magazines!!!
Old 05-26-08, 09:43 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man

Current Manheim auction price for a 2007 with 9k miles is below.

Expect about $38k on trade. Not sure there are many takers for Lexus Hybrids on the used car market because it is more about performance than fuel economy. Consequently, not sure who would pay the premium. I see Lexus Hybrids worth as much as standard gas models on the used car market.

2007 LEXUS GS 450H

$36,830 - $42,825
Old 05-26-08, 05:01 PM
supmario
Driver School Candidate

Default Uk

Coming from the UK I find this quite interesting Lexus are very adamant that the battery will last the life of the car and their parent company, Toyota, have been using the technology for a while so in theory we should be good on the batteries. I hope anyway! When I bought mine I asked the salesman why the pre-owned SUV hybrids were holding their value over the GS hybrids even though it still had old tech he said basically it was the trunk space.

Its a bit different over here in the UK. We pay road tax on every vehicle once a year. It basically correlates to the amount of CO2 (effectively size) your car outputs e.g. a Lexus GS300 will cost around $800 a year your money but a GS450h will cost $350 which is not bad, this is around the same as a Honda Accord. This should aid depreciation however another boost is that some cities are introducing congestion charges for city centres (London has this in already $20 a drive through!) but Hybrid vehicles are exempt from this so you get a lot of them in London. However the heavyweight Germans Merc, BMW and Audi over here depreciate less especially the diesels - which are very popular here due to being more frugal on fuel.

EDIT: On a side note just to make my American cousins feel more smug a new GS450hSE-L with all the bells and whistles at list price over here costs around £47000 thats around $94,000 of your money - we get screwed on car big time a base model ford focus is around £12,000 thats $24,000! just wanted to moan!

Last edited by supmario; 05-26-08 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-27-08, 08:07 AM
sdbrandon
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by supmario
Coming from the UK I find this quite interesting Lexus are very adamant that the battery will last the life of the car and their parent company, Toyota, have been using the technology for a while so in theory we should be good on the batteries. I hope anyway! When I bought mine I asked the salesman why the pre-owned SUV hybrids were holding their value over the GS hybrids even though it still had old tech he said basically it was the trunk space.

Its a bit different over here in the UK. We pay road tax on every vehicle once a year. It basically correlates to the amount of CO2 (effectively size) your car outputs e.g. a Lexus GS300 will cost around $800 a year your money but a GS450h will cost $350 which is not bad, this is around the same as a Honda Accord. This should aid depreciation however another boost is that some cities are introducing congestion charges for city centres (London has this in already $20 a drive through!) but Hybrid vehicles are exempt from this so you get a lot of them in London. However the heavyweight Germans Merc, BMW and Audi over here depreciate less especially the diesels - which are very popular here due to being more frugal on fuel.

EDIT: On a side note just to make my American cousins feel more smug a new GS450hSE-L with all the bells and whistles at list price over here costs around £47000 thats around $94,000 of your money - we get screwed on car big time a base model ford focus is around £12,000 thats $24,000! just wanted to moan!
I just think the C02 argument is nonsense. You have to consider the energy used to produce the hybrid system and batteries and then dispose of them at the end of life.

Studies have shown that a Hummer is more green than a Prius due to the batteries production and waste.
Old 05-27-08, 02:12 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

this was my experience:

Purchased my 07 GS450h in August of 06, brand new for $67,950.
Sold it in March 2008, for $43,000.
Old 05-27-08, 03:22 PM
gbondioli
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jace7
this was my experience:

Purchased my 07 GS450h in August of 06, brand new for $67,950.
Sold it in March 2008, for $43,000.
Did you trade it in, or did you sell it on your own at that price?