GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Wood dash kits

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 06:37 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Wood dash kits

I know some of you guys in the past have had wood kits and have claimed that the match was not perfect. I am looking at one for my car that I think will look sharp. My only argument for the wood kit is that it will be a blackbirds eye maple ( dark grey and black wood trim). This means that the match should be better or at least harder to notice if there is a difference. With the black wood trim in my car from the factory I can barely ever see the grain in the wood. It usually just looks solid black and shiny. I just think that lexus got skimpy with the dash wood trim on the GS. Even the ES has more wood on the dash than the GS. I had a 46 pc carbon fiber interior kit on my G35 that I loved. I also had carbon fiber B pillars, and both held up with no problems in the 122 deg AZ summers ( and my car is poarked outside all day). What kind of experiences have you guys had. ?
Old 05-23-08, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

i am so glad the gs doesn't have much wood, and personally i have yet to see a wood kit that doesn't look fake. that's me

and black wood kit will also have problem on matching the darkness
Old 05-23-08, 12:39 AM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I know some of you guys in the past have had wood kits and have claimed that the match was not perfect. I am looking at one for my car that I think will look sharp. My only argument for the wood kit is that it will be a blackbirds eye maple ( dark grey and black wood trim). This means that the match should be better or at least harder to notice if there is a difference. With the black wood trim in my car from the factory I can barely ever see the grain in the wood. It usually just looks solid black and shiny. I just think that lexus got skimpy with the dash wood trim on the GS. Even the ES has more wood on the dash than the GS. I had a 46 pc carbon fiber interior kit on my G35 that I loved. I also had carbon fiber B pillars, and both held up with no problems in the 122 deg AZ summers ( and my car is poarked outside all day). What kind of experiences have you guys had. ?

I have the red walnut accent wood on my car.. Wanna trade with your black wood???

Last edited by Lexus GS3; 05-23-08 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-23-08, 05:53 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Those wood trim kits make the car look ghetto, it is so bad that it will make the oem real wood look fake.
Old 05-23-08, 08:44 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Those wood trim kits make the car look ghetto, it is so bad that it will make the oem real wood look fake.
I agree with my experience on one of my previous cars - Acura TL. But then that was also seven years ago. Maybe the wood trim kits have been improved since then?! The fit was a little bit off. The finish matched really closely but it was the fit that gave it away.
Old 05-23-08, 08:57 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if only they offer CF trims for the GS.. o man.

don't add any more wood man, that just look pure ghetto
Old 05-23-08, 10:29 AM
-Future-
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, too much wood makes me want to gag!! It reminds me of those old wagons with the wood trim on the outside of the car!!!!! I think it will never look as tasteful as OEM. That's just my 3 cents! more than 2 obviously.
Old 05-23-08, 11:02 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

too much wood = nasty

that's why they call them 'accents'.

never ever ever stick wood stickers around the a/c vents or the center console control *****.

the only place you have left to stick wood on is above the glove compartment....... and i don't think anything will fit there exactly.
Old 05-23-08, 11:10 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

no offense to anyone that has it but seriously, you should prevent your car from looking like this

Old 05-23-08, 11:13 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whlkev
no offense to anyone that has it but seriously, you should prevent your car from looking like this

or a better example, like this...............

Old 05-23-08, 11:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Yang1815
I agree with my experience on one of my previous cars - Acura TL. But then that was also seven years ago. Maybe the wood trim kits have been improved since then?! The fit was a little bit off. The finish matched really closely but it was the fit that gave it away.
i doubt that. last time i saw some wood kits at dealership, i almost throw up
Old 05-23-08, 11:15 AM
rwdds
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you ever seen the video of how Lexus manufactures the wood trim in our cars? It's amazing. Hand selected panels are meticulously glued, sanded, trimmed, then and honed and polished to achieve the super high-gloss finish. I can't keep my fingers off the wood trim, because it feels so elegant.
Old 05-23-08, 11:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the setup for 3gs is horrible at best
Old 05-23-08, 12:23 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by whlkev

Kev:

That's one of the reason i NEVER buy anything from Lextasy.com. I also will NEVER recommend that website to anyone on CL or friends. Lextasy is known to sell extremely CHEAP crappy stuff, ridiculously OVERPRICED and they are CROOKS that rips people off. One of the main reason they are BANNED from ClubLexus.
Old 05-23-08, 01:10 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

haha, thanks for the warning Tommy

Quick Reply: Wood dash kits