GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dash Rattles & Creaks TSIB's

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-12, 09:34 AM
Vin1971
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello...not sure if this is the right thread but..i heara squeaking noise when i shut off the car..under the steering wheel. when the steer moves up..it squeak! does anyone have this problem? 2006 GS300..
Old 02-15-12, 10:28 AM
patricksr5
Pole Position

pdwilkersn...I have the same rattle on my passenger side. I too cannot figure out what causes it and as it is sporadic. If you ever find the source please post as I will do the same.
Old 02-29-12, 03:27 PM
tmv22
Driver

im having a hard time selling my 2007 GS. upon a simple test drive, the buyer was disgusted with the creaking and rattling sound.

i took the car to Doylestown PA dealership today. just to look over the front and back area noise, they are charging me $160! i gave them the 3 TSB you posted and told them i bought the Platinum extended warranty but sadly, im still charged $160.
to make matters worse, he said he thinks the noise is coming from the windshield wiper areas....he will gladly work on that for $180!!!! and Platinum warranty wont cover that either.
Old 03-02-12, 06:04 PM
gtmax
Driver

I have the dashboard rattle as well. I don't understand why people come into this thread to complain that they don't have rattles. This thread is about people who do have them.

Yes the dash feels plasticky compared to the GS400. I hate it in fact. I bought warranty so i'm going to take it in. I think it's been meddled with because the dash is uneven. One side is more indented than the other. Will report back when i take it in. I'm at 15K miles.
Old 03-03-12, 09:59 AM
pdwilkersn
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus GS dash creaks

Originally Posted by tmv22
im having a hard time selling my 2007 GS. upon a simple test drive, the buyer was disgusted with the creaking and rattling sound.

i took the car to Doylestown PA dealership today. just to look over the front and back area noise, they are charging me $160! i gave them the 3 TSB you posted and told them i bought the Platinum extended warranty but sadly, im still charged $160.
to make matters worse, he said he thinks the noise is coming from the windshield wiper areas....he will gladly work on that for $180!!!! and Platinum warranty wont cover that either.
Yes, the plastic piece under the wipers is squeaking against the windshield . I removed mine and covered all the edges and clips with black cloth tape or sticky backed felt. My back glass creaks too but only when it is hot and then only sometimes. So its hard to track that one down. Also, on the passenger side under the wiper cowl piece, there is a windshield alignment peg that can rub against its hole. I sawed mine off. There's a TSB out on that one. But it didn't seem to make a difference on mine.

Last edited by pdwilkersn; 03-03-12 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Add additional info
Old 03-11-12, 07:37 AM
docdoug
Driver School Candidate

I've had my 2006 GS 300 for almost 2 years and all was fine until a few months ago, when the creaks and rattles appeared. They've gotten steadily worse and now are really bad. My Lexus dealer evaluated and said it was the worst they've heard/seen.

They said they can "try" to get rid of the noises, but there's no guarantee (I understand that). They estimated the work at $1,200 (it would be an extra $650 to replace the center console which makes a ton of noise). When I complained, they went to Lexus corp to see if they would help, but no luck. So, my dealership offered to pay 50%, which I thought was pretty decent of them. I'm not going to spend the money to replace the center console but am considering doing all the other work.

The problem I have is that I could spend the money, get it all fixed, and then new noises pop up a day later. They seem so unsure that they can fix it, it just seems like a big risk. It's gotten so bad I actually went and test drove an Acura yesterday - that makes me very sad because, other than the noises, I love my GS and have wanted one for a very long time.

Those of you who had the dealer fix the noises, did it work? Was it permanent or have the noises come back? Would really like some feedback before I spend all the money or get rid of my Lexus.

Thanks everyone.
Doug
Old 03-11-12, 04:13 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by docdoug
I've had my 2006 GS 300 for almost 2 years and all was fine until a few months ago, when the creaks and rattles appeared. They've gotten steadily worse and now are really bad. My Lexus dealer evaluated and said it was the worst they've heard/seen.

They said they can "try" to get rid of the noises, but there's no guarantee (I understand that). They estimated the work at $1,200 (it would be an extra $650 to replace the center console which makes a ton of noise). When I complained, they went to Lexus corp to see if they would help, but no luck. So, my dealership offered to pay 50%, which I thought was pretty decent of them. I'm not going to spend the money to replace the center console but am considering doing all the other work.

The problem I have is that I could spend the money, get it all fixed, and then new noises pop up a day later. They seem so unsure that they can fix it, it just seems like a big risk. It's gotten so bad I actually went and test drove an Acura yesterday - that makes me very sad because, other than the noises, I love my GS and have wanted one for a very long time.

Those of you who had the dealer fix the noises, did it work? Was it permanent or have the noises come back? Would really like some feedback before I spend all the money or get rid of my Lexus.

Thanks everyone.
Doug
Mine were like 90% fixed after I had them done...I only really some rattles when its very cold...if the weather is above 50deg its fine....oh yah I had mine done about a year ago. I didnt pay though.
Old 03-11-12, 07:57 PM
docdoug
Driver School Candidate

You didn't have to pay? Was your car still under warranty at the time you had them fixed?

Sounds like you had good results, so perhaps I should bite the bullet and pay for the fixes. I sure would like to know how to get Lexus to pay for it though. :-)
Old 03-12-12, 08:19 PM
07LXgs350
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by docdoug
You didn't have to pay? Was your car still under warranty at the time you had them fixed?

Sounds like you had good results, so perhaps I should bite the bullet and pay for the fixes. I sure would like to know how to get Lexus to pay for it though. :-)
yah well when i bought the car, i noticed the squeaks...so i brought it up and they agree to fix it...thats why i didnt have to pay. As long as the dealer is competent they should get most of the dash squeaks out...theres a couple of tsbs on it.
Old 05-02-12, 08:15 AM
bwl
Driver School Candidate

So, after looking around here... did anyone find out the exact way to fix the front speaker rattles on the doors? or what the issue was
Old 05-02-12, 05:31 PM
anewname
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bwl
So, after looking around here... did anyone find out the exact way to fix the front speaker rattles on the doors? or what the issue was
I don't have speaker rattles in the doors, but the little plastic inserts behind the door handles are going nuts! Try those. They are pretty easy to pry off and fix.
Old 12-21-12, 12:03 PM
rburke
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a pre-owned 2007 GS350 and the dash rattles like crazy. Around the speakers and the center vent. Lexus is going to fix it, I hope. My 09 RX doesn't have the same issue; nice and quiet. LOVE the GS though. So fast too!
Old 04-08-14, 04:32 PM
striderg3
Rookie

Originally Posted by ehong33234
By the way, the rattling/crackling noise is mostly noticeable when I drive over rougher, bumpier roads and with the music down. Is that the same for everyone else?
yeah i just got my 06 gs430.. when i test drove it on smooth roads i didn't hear a noise at all.
then after i got back home with it, I started hearing some rattling from my entire dash... pissed me off big time. I guess now im getting use to it but honestly, for a car this premium, this should never have been an issue.

I'm sure in Canada, Lexus wouldn't even acknowledge the flaw..
is there a DIY where I can remove the metal covers over the speakers?
I even have a noise from driver side door / window when turning the car at certain speeds it creeks.
annoying
Old 01-26-17, 06:39 AM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

07 gs450h Dash rattles like crazy and also the passenger door area.

Never had problems like this in my old 96 camry 160k. 92 es300 235k. 00 es300 140k.
Old 01-26-17, 06:49 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by samsonn25
07 gs450h Dash rattles like crazy and also the passenger door area.

Never had problems like this in my old 96 camry 160k. 92 es300 235k. 00 es300 140k.
The only fix that worked for me was to get rid of the car..... I had a 07 GS350 and had the dealership tear out the dash 3 separate times. The fix would last about 2 weeks, before the creaking would start again. That was my last Lexus......Never again!

. I now have a 2011 Genesis and a 2014 Genesis.... Much better cars and as quiet as when I bought them new...... Love them !

Quick Reply: Dash Rattles & Creaks TSIB's