GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dash Rattles & Creaks TSIB's

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-10, 08:12 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I had mine removed 3 or 4 times before it was acceptable . I wish you luck . I will admit that the first time they did it it failed. The second time they did it it failed again. The third time they ordered a new dash but the tech reinsulated the old dash and reinstalled it. The 4th time they got the new dash in but left the defroster vent out(wooops), the last time it went in perfectly. My Lexus dealership was rated number one in customer service in the country ( or at least thats what was posted on their web site) so I know they will always take care of me
This is the first time hearing of a new dash being ordered due to rattles. I wonder what different in the new dash. I thought the clips and fit are the main cause...wonder if the new dash has been augmented to reduce the chance of rattles?? Glad to hear Lexus took good care of you.
Old 04-10-10, 08:26 PM
ingoodtime
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 has the rear window creak, at least that is what it
sounds like. However, my car does not fall into the serial
number range. Have to see what the dealer says.
Old 04-11-10, 10:31 AM
daudbros
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Some owners have very good result and for some, the problem came back but to a lesser degree. Of course anytime you take the whole dash board apart, you are taking a risk, but the alternative is not to fix it, which isnt really a alternative at all.
I am suffering from the same problem since I had purchased mine..I looked everywhere how to approach Lexus R&D to highlight this problem to higher level
Old 04-11-10, 05:59 PM
jdaniels07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jason60050
I have a 2009 AWD with about 5k miles on it and no real rattles yet...every vehicle is going to have rattles, I don't care if it is a $50k car or a $350k car. They are machines built of steel and plastic it is inevitable. Ride a bicycle if you don't like rattles.
I agree that will be some rattle/creak in any car sooner or later. However I've never heard the rattles like this car has/had in any of the cars we've owned (honda, lexus, bmw, acura, ford).

The rattle after taking ours in is gone but there is still a little creaking from time to time which is fine with me. You have to listen for it.

We like everything else about the car...

JD
Old 05-18-10, 06:57 AM
Tuptut
Driver School Candidate

Cool Noise fixed

Originally Posted by Tuptut
Serviced my wife's car yesterday. The service slip says they installed noise kit and replaced windshield clips. It took them one whole day (Lexus of Massapequa), i droped the car at 7:10am and she picked it up at 5PM. She only mentioned the rattling noise from the front speakers area, but they replaced the windshield clips as well; guess might as well while the dash is out! There is no sign of taking the windshield out; at least i can't tell. Anyway the car has 27K and it had to have dashboard removed to fix rattling noise; not too happy about it. It seems to be fix now; no any kind of noise so far. Just like expected after they reinstalled the dashboard, the passenger side speaker cover is sticking out a bit more then the driver's side. Will mention that to them at next service visit. Final thought: If the $50K car rattles at 27K, what's going to sound like at 100K ??? sigh...
Just wanted to give you guys update, she has now 36K on the car (9K since noise fix installed) and still no problems! Noise didn't come back; at least not yet.
Old 05-18-10, 07:40 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tuptut
Just wanted to give you guys update, she has now 36K on the car (9K since noise fix installed) and still no problems! Noise didn't come back; at least not yet.
Same here...but must report back in DEC-MAR time period. Min temps, Max potholes.
Old 05-31-10, 10:03 AM
gs4NY
Driver School Candidate

Default Hate to disagree

I have a 2009 AWD with about 5k miles on it and no real rattles yet...every vehicle is going to have rattles, I don't care if it is a $50k car or a $350k car. They are machines built of steel and plastic it is inevitable. Ride a bicycle if you don't like rattles.
I have owned all 3 GS's since release in 93. My others went to 105K and 90K rattle free. MY 07 started at 3-5K and went in more than once including the NAV system that would frequently reposition the car. By the way, my 88 Mark VII LSC was also rattle free for 88K.
Be happy if yours is not affected, but know that we might actually have a base of knowledge when we make our comments.
Old 05-31-10, 12:17 PM
redwhisky
Driver

My acura that has 140,000 miles has no rattles. If someone does not like rattles, thats there business and none of yours.
Old 06-01-10, 02:31 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

You guys with no problems, does your navigation area/middle area there sound like plastic?

That is my main problem now. the main area of the dash sounds like cheap plastic.
Old 06-01-10, 02:42 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bozer
You guys with no problems, does your navigation area/middle area there sound like plastic?

That is my main problem now. the main area of the dash sounds like cheap plastic.
The reason it sounds like cheap plastic, is because it is cheap plastic. The guys with no problems fall into a couple of categories.

1.) They have owned their GS for about 6 months and have put 5,000 miles on it, so far.

2.) They live in South Florida or Southern Texas or Southern California where the temps do not get below freezing that often.

3.) They are completely deaf.

4.) They are playing their Car Stereo so loud that they could not hear the Sonic Boom, much less a rattle. - In which case they will be deaf shortly.

My car is rattle free now. For the 4th Summer in a row! It was fixed again at the dealership this March. (The 4th Time) I would expect it to start rattling again around Thanksgiving time 2010.

The Relentless pursuit of Perfection.
Old 06-01-10, 03:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
The reason it sounds like cheap plastic, is because it is cheap plastic. The guys with no problems fall into a couple of categories.

1.) They have owned their GS for about 6 months and have put 5,000 miles on it, so far.

2.) They live in South Florida or Southern Texas or Southern California where the temps do not get below freezing that often.

3.) They are completely deaf.

4.) They are playing their Car Stereo so loud that they could not hear the Sonic Boom, much less a rattle. - In which case they will be deaf shortly.

My car is rattle free now. For the 4th Summer in a row! It was fixed again at the dealership this March. (The 4th Time) I would expect it to start rattling again around Thanksgiving time 2010.

The Relentless pursuit of Perfection.

How about they don't have problems.
We are all very aware of your unhappiness of YOUR GS but you are in the minority. The vast majority are happy with theirs.
Old 06-02-10, 02:31 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

So about that cheap plastic ---

do you guys here it in your center dash too? like if you go over a bump, it makes a little sound? It makes me crazy. Its just not as tight as it should be.
Old 06-02-10, 02:38 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

How about they don't have problems.
We are all very aware of your unhappiness of YOUR GS but you are in the minority. The vast majority are happy with theirs.
Do a search on the forum for 'Rattle' - then report back to me.
Old 06-02-10, 03:15 PM
HomieG
Driver

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Do a search on the forum for 'Rattle' - then report back to me.
I now know why you've got a car that rattles so much. It too is tired of hearing from you...probably will get worse too now as it continues to get louder to drown out yer complainin'...probably just like the dealer did.

Last edited by HomieG; 06-02-10 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-08-10, 05:01 PM
rjacket
Driver

Any recommendations in the SF Bay area for a dealer and service advisor who are good at sorting out these rattles? Mine hasn't been very good.

Quick Reply: Dash Rattles & Creaks TSIB's