GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dash Rattles & Creaks TSIB's

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 01:19 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

jd, sound like it's not a permanent fix.
Old 04-02-10, 05:07 PM
MelYW
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by worker
yes, chance that the rattle might return....but what makes you say that the work completed/TSB is temporary?
Old 04-05-10, 07:06 PM
jdaniels07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by worker
Fill me in on what the permanent fix is. The dash kit is what they are using for the fix is my understanding.

JD
Old 04-05-10, 07:47 PM
AlexTER
Driver School Candidate

Guys,
what is exact TSIB for fixing little rattle (sounds like c c c c when riding over road bumps and train tracks) that comes from uper part of the center console. I determined to be due to to center console metal frame (that surounds TFT screen) rubbing against vents plastic just above it. As soon as I press metal frame with my finger, the "c c c c rattle" is gone. You can also feel vibrations that cause the rattle by placing finger tip at the "meeting" point b/w plastic and the metal frame...

Thanks in advance...
Old 04-05-10, 08:32 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know how to fix the driver side door rattle and squeaks? Also have dash,sunroof, and upper bottom windshield. Its annoying anyone who had them fixed please chime in.
Old 04-05-10, 08:42 PM
jason60050
Driver

Do any of these TSB's affect the 2009 and 2010 model?
Old 04-06-10, 03:25 PM
ESU1909
Driver

I'm taking my 07' GS350 into the dealership on Saturday. I have about 100 miles til' my factory warranty ends.....so you know what?? I'm gonna' have em' check out and hopefully fix the rattle and squeaks in my dash. What do you guys think I should expect?? Is it really just a temporary thing....or will the noise pop up again??

Chime in Lexus Fam.
Old 04-06-10, 09:45 PM
AlexTER
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ESU1909
I'm taking my 07' GS350 into the dealership on Saturday. I have about 100 miles til' my factory warranty ends.....so you know what?? I'm gonna' have em' check out and hopefully fix the rattle and squeaks in my dash. What do you guys think I should expect?? Is it really just a temporary thing....or will the noise pop up again??

Chime in Lexus Fam.
If you experience same "c c c c" rattle as I described in my earler post, ask them to put proper padding under the center console metal frame to suspend and avoid rubbing with vent plastic above. Let me know the outcome after the service.
Old 04-08-10, 06:46 AM
MelYW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ESU1909

Chime in Lexus Fam.
You are doing the right thing...get in there w that warranty. The answer for whether it will come back is impossible to answer. Just ask them to to the full felt treatment to eliminate future risk. Report back on their job.

As always, check for damage as although this is routine (mine done 3 times), it is still a pretty big deal to pull the entire dash.
Old 04-08-10, 12:51 PM
jason60050
Driver

I have a 2009 AWD with about 5k miles on it and no real rattles yet...every vehicle is going to have rattles, I don't care if it is a $50k car or a $350k car. They are machines built of steel and plastic it is inevitable. Ride a bicycle if you don't like rattles.
Old 04-08-10, 03:31 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jason60050
I have a 2009 AWD with about 5k miles on it and no real rattles yet...every vehicle is going to have rattles, I don't care if it is a $50k car or a $350k car. They are machines built of steel and plastic it is inevitable. Ride a bicycle if you don't like rattles.
With 5K on your car I can understand why you don't have rattles. Wait until 10-15K and your first winter. You are a 'newbie' with this problem.

Every Car has rattles, but the GS has a 'consistent' rattle. My wife has a 2003 ES300 and I previously had a 99 GS300. These cars did not suffer the 'Rattle' issue that we speak of here. My GS350 is over 3 years old and has 45K miles. I have had it to the dealer 4 times for rattles. They fix it for awhile.

I can tell you this. The last time I had it there (2 weeks ago), they said they learned a lot about the GS rattles. They said they used to use felt on the windshield clips and the felt wore thin. Now they use Rubber. The dealer has been very helpful and do their best, but there was a flaw in the design. The foreman at the dealer I go to is very experienced at GS rattles and thinks my car will be fixed for good this time. I am not holding my breath however.

Lexus is very aware of this problem, but cannot seem to come up with a fix. I have been a strong follower of the Lexus Brand for 15 years. Mostly to avoid problems like these. This problem has sent me looking at other brands. Most recently I drove a Hyundai Genesis and I am very impressed. They remind me of what Lexus was like in the 90's. The quality at Lexus has slipped. I can tell the difference between the trunk mat of my 99 GS300 and my 07 GS350. One example, but there are many others.

Last edited by Cut-Throat; 04-08-10 at 03:42 PM.
Old 04-08-10, 07:09 PM
jdaniels07
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AlexTER
Guys,
what is exact TSIB for fixing little rattle (sounds like c c c c when riding over road bumps and train tracks) that comes from uper part of the center console. I determined to be due to to center console metal frame (that surounds TFT screen) rubbing against vents plastic just above it. As soon as I press metal frame with my finger, the "c c c c rattle" is gone. You can also feel vibrations that cause the rattle by placing finger tip at the "meeting" point b/w plastic and the metal frame...

Thanks in advance...
We had the same rattle you described above and below is what was done on our 07 to resolve the issue. Will it come back? Not sure, but it's ok so far:

I'm noting below what I could make since of from the cryptic invoice:
-------------------
Cause: Loose, Poor adhesion
NV8040 Instrument panel rattle r&r instrument panel safet
4 55345-30060 clip, instrument pan
1 55328-50170 stay, instrument pan
1 08231-00801 noise kit

Performed TSB L-SB-0040-08
R and R instrument panel safety pad and replaced all 5 clips. Installed HVAC duct and defroster nozzel.

JD
Old 04-08-10, 08:08 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jdaniels07
Fill me in on what the permanent fix is. The dash kit is what they are using for the fix is my understanding.

JD
what I am wondering is why can't they come up with a permanent fix? I wouldn't want to keep going back to the dealer to fix the same problem over and over every year or 2 years or etc..

Rattle is cause by things vibrate and hitting each other, why can't they illiminate the space or move them so far apart that they can't hit each other?

I need a mirror to see what's going on with my rattle problem. So far it hasn't bug me enough yet.
Old 04-10-10, 09:14 AM
ESU1909
Driver

Just dropped my GS off at the dealership...I asked the service guy how long it would take, he told me 1 or 2 days...I thought he might have wanted to go on a test drive with me to pinpoint the rattle/creak, he didn't...he also mentioned he had to order a part. Obviously this wasn't the first time they've dealt with the dash rattles....oh well. If it does take 2 days I hope they hook me up with a loaner car.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 04-10-10, 01:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had mine removed 3 or 4 times before it was acceptable . I wish you luck . I will admit that the first time they did it it failed. The second time they did it it failed again. The third time they ordered a new dash but the tech reinsulated the old dash and reinstalled it. The 4th time they got the new dash in but left the defroster vent out(wooops), the last time it went in perfectly. My Lexus dealership was rated number one in customer service in the country ( or at least thats what was posted on their web site) so I know they will always take care of me

Quick Reply: Dash Rattles & Creaks TSIB's