GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

4080 Enclosure + DIY Install!! 56K No-No

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-10, 04:24 PM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

great write up. too bad i have the ML (well, maybe not too bad ) but this was a good read
Old 03-29-10, 06:31 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

it can be done on ML. just did it this past weekend. ML sub is lacking to say the least - i noticed very little difference running the system with no sub than with. the mid bass from the door speakers is rediculous. funny thing is that the stock system comes with a dual voice coil. ML does not.
Old 04-10-10, 08:54 PM
Tres
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finished the install today. Box looks and fits great. My sub with 1000watts rocks the car like crazy. Thank god I put dynamat all over the trunk. I'll take pics tomorrow and post 'em.
Old 04-10-10, 10:59 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

take pics Tres, i'm excited, i'll be doing my setup soon, not the 4080 route though =[
Old 04-11-10, 06:13 PM
DRLC6
Rookie

Great write up. Thanks for shareing the info.
Old 06-27-10, 10:05 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Very impressed with the fitment and match of the carpet

here are pics as of now: to 4080 enclosures for this custom side mount box. It fits like a glove!!

I just have to wire up the line converter and amp. All wires are into the trunk so now I just have to decide on how and were to mount the amp. Its too long for the back wall next to the pass to the inside of the car. So I think I may have a tray made to sit above the ML amp like a shelve so I have access to the ML amp if need be and it puts the new amp out of the way. I dont need trunk space since I hardly use the car and if I do I think I would rather have the depth of the trunk.

I will post more once I have it running with some feedback.

Enjoy
Old 06-27-10, 10:28 AM
Tres
Driver School Candidate

Here are a few picks of my install. Only issues I had different than the instructions were punching the hole through the gromet, it was a bit more challening then the instructions let on. Other than that it went exactly as shown. Also I chose to mount the amp under the rear deck like you see. I was extremely careful to drill a pilot hole through the sheet metal but not punch too far through. I put spacers between the amp and the under-deck-liner so the amp wasn't sitting right against it so it didn't get too hot. Sounds great in the car. Also, I took these pics after the install. I've since installed a grill so nothing in the trunck can hit the sub.

****OH, big edit, I had to pay over $200 to have the dealership fix the trunk seal after I took it off then somehow smashed it. I also had to have them fix the trunk liner around the seal at the top because when I pulled it down I bent it somehow. they had to glue it back up so it was tucked under the seal again. My mistake, be careful, don't do what I did.

And a good one of the car.
Old 06-27-10, 12:01 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

nice job

I have the XM receiver were you put your amp so that wasn't an option for me or I was going to use the same spot. Can't wait to hear how it sounds. So other members are aware this may not be an option depending on the size of your amp.
Old 06-28-10, 02:43 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
I just have to wire up the line converter and amp. All wires are into the trunk so now I just have to decide on how and where to mount the amp. Its too long for the back wall next to the pass to the inside of the car. So I think I may have a tray made to sit above the ML amp like a shelve so I have access to the ML amp if need be and it puts the new amp out of the way. I don't need trunk space since I hardly use the car and if I do I think I would rather have the depth of the trunk.
I guess you already have the amp on hand, but just in case not, or others are planning a similar install, certain amps don't need a converter, like the Kicker unit I used. (Link in my sig has the details.) Works perfectly--noise free, and the remote bass control is really handy.

Like you, I don't use the trunk much, so I didn't bother with any elaborate amp mounting--just tied it to the hold-downs. Cheap and cheerful!
Old 06-28-10, 03:11 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Thank you My amp only allows RCA inputs and I could have gone with a different amp but this was best for the sub I picked IMO.

Hope to have this wired up soon so I can hear it
Old 06-28-10, 04:53 PM
Tres
Driver School Candidate

All, I have the exact converter that he bought and used in the instructions. I bought it and then realized I already had one. If anyone wants it PM me and I"ll send it to you. Just pay $10 for shipping. It's too late to return so I figured it would go to a good cause.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product
Old 06-28-10, 05:08 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Amp was installed on the driver side of the rear seat back next to the trunk pass thru. The adjustable LOC was mounted under the rear windshield deck... it looks pretty neat to me.

Originally Posted by passnu2
Thank you My amp only allows RCA inputs and I could have gone with a different amp but this was best for the sub I picked IMO.

Hope to have this wired up soon so I can hear it
Mike, are you still selling the GS?
Old 06-28-10, 06:56 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

^Holding on to it for now....going to drive semi stock and keep making my way toward selling.

okay so the 2 wires to the ML sub are Black & Green w/ purple dots. I will confirm and find out what pin they are located in so ML owners can save time and not have to tap at the sub. I found the light gray wire for remote on.
Old 06-29-10, 07:06 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

ML owners...

Okay I took off the cover and the wire colors are green w/ purple and black w/purple at the sub. They run the wire the same was as the 2gen GS so it goes up and above the rear deck. Never understood why they did this. At the amp neither of these wire colors exist. I have the PDF from Lexus Tech site and it only shows the 4 wire colors for the non ML set up. No matter where I look nothing shows the wire colors for the ML sub. I think someone said they solder the wires to the sub. I want to tap into the wire harness from the XM so I can remove that and there are no cutting of wires.

Anyone know were I can find these wire colors and info so I can be done with this? Any info would be much appreciated. I also checked the 2IS section and the wires seem to be different and the ML amp looks different then mine.

Thank you!
Old 07-26-10, 07:33 AM
ASILVER
Driver

FWIW: the instructions are for a 2006 and my 2007 has a different grommet, and rear airbag by the back seat which means seat removal was required.

So if anyone's installing on a GS with airbags on the rear seat don't just try to pull out that last sill panel it doesn't get removed.

Otherwise the instructions were nice to follow, I'm not a fan of mounting the amp upside down so I actually hung the amp from the rear deck giving about 1/2 inch clearance between the top of the amp and the deck lid.

I'm waiting on a new sub since I was shipped a blown one, once it arrives and I install it and the 4080 I'll post pics

Quick Reply: 4080 Enclosure + DIY Install!! 56K No-No