GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

PLEASE HELP! Both keys won't work ...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-08, 10:33 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy PLEASE HELP! Both keys won't work ...

so this morning neither key fob would work on the car. at first we thought the car battery had died, but the lights still work and there is power to the interior.

so then we thought well maybe key fob #1 is dead. so we went in and grabbed key fob #2 and tried that, no go. the button on the keys won't work, and the "key is not detected" message is on when you try to start the car. i held the fobs up to the start button and still nothing ...

i highly doubt that both fob batteries are dead, but i will try to get a replacement battery later and test it out when i get home.

HELP!

- has this happened to anyone else? and if so, what was the problem?
- how do you change the battery in the fob?

i'm worried that there is something wrong with the computer that reads the chips in the fob and somehow it is no longer accepting the original chip/code... is that possible? i am also worried that i have to get a tow to the dealer. the car is stuck in the garage right now

nothing has changed with the car. yesterday a lease inspection from the bank was performed, but he didn't do much other than document door dings and then take it for a quick spin up and down the block ... i drove it several times after the inspection (went home, went to vote, went to dinner, etc.) and it was perfectly fine.
Old 02-06-08, 10:39 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I take it that since March of 05 that you have yet changed the batteries.

it is about time, they usually last just about 2 years from reading.

the manual states it exactly how to change the battery, not that big of a deal.
Old 02-06-08, 10:41 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

but even with a dead battery in the fob, aren't you supposed to be able to hold the key up to the start button and still start the car? at least that is what they tell you ...

now i see why mercedes has the conventional turning key start PLUS the start button on the shifter, in case the key fails!
Old 02-06-08, 10:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, from my understanding, the immobilzer chip in the fob is powered by the car, not the fob's battery. Even if you have a dead battery in your fob, you should still be able to start the car. I also thought that the display is suppose to tell you when the fob battery is low.
There are sensors all over the car, 5 or 6 of them. I would try the other doors and see what happens, but it sure sounds like there is a problem with the computer not sensing the fob.
Old 02-06-08, 10:54 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

i really hope that is not the case

our RX key lasted for over 4 years before i had to change the battery. i would be surprised if the GS key didn't last at least that long, esp considering you don't push the buttons on that nearly as much since everything is keyless.
Old 02-06-08, 09:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Good point. They should last a bit longer
Old 02-06-08, 09:51 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

there have been people who had batteries die in a matter of months....the rx key is simply a remote with buttons for lock and unlock, it does not transmit or receieve signal from the car unlike the fob for the gs, hence battery life is shorter
Old 02-07-08, 12:33 AM
Kosmos
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

battery life is shorter because the fob is constantly communicating with the vehicle within a certain range....for those new, make sure you don't keep the fob in a place near the car.....just changed both.

lexuslover, don't be concerned...isn't your lease done after the inspection and you are just waiting forthe GS to be picked up ????? not your problem =)
Old 02-07-08, 06:40 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same happened to an ES owner, and yes, it turned out to be the computer. It does not seem to be something that happens a lot, but it is very expensive to fix when it does.
Old 02-14-08, 10:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Lexuslover, have your dealer figure out whats wrong yet? Keep us updated plz.
Old 02-14-08, 11:01 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

i just had this problem happen to me. i just took my other car to the dealer they replaced the battery for 13 dollars!!!! a stupid battery that should be 1 dollar and it worked perfect after that.
Old 02-14-08, 11:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Did both battery die at the same time?
Old 02-14-08, 11:04 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

oh sorry, yeah, it was the batteries in both fobs and no, you don't get any sort of warning on either the key or the car when the battery starts to get low. it will work one day and then be dead the next...

i was super embarrassed. but i'm 8 mos pregnant so i am blaming it on my continued absent-mindedness in my last trimester

and apparently we didn't have the fobs close enough to the start button. we had it about 1 inch away and it didn't work, you literally have to have it ON the button while pushing the button for the car to register that it is indeed there. and then while you drive, it will keep on saying key is not detected until the batteries are back.

two batteries later, all is well again i paid $12 for 2 batteries and the parts guys replaced it for me in about 30 seconds.
Old 02-14-08, 11:06 AM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by lexuslover
oh sorry, yeah, it was the batteries in both fobs and no, you don't get any sort of warning on either the key or the car when the battery starts to get low. it will work one day and then be dead the next...

i was super embarrassed. but i'm 8 mos pregnant so i am blaming it on my continued absent-mindedness in my last trimester

and apparently we didn't have the fobs close enough to the start button. we had it about 1 inch away and it didn't work, you literally have to have it ON the button while pushing the button for the car to register that it is indeed there. and then while you drive, it will keep on saying key is not detected until the batteries are back.

two batteries later, all is well again i paid $12 for 2 batteries and the parts guys replaced it for me in about 30 seconds.

man i got ripped off! i paid 13 for 1 not 2.
Old 02-14-08, 11:09 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by The G Man
Did both battery die at the same time?
i am not sure. we had one "main" key that was used all the time, and the 2nd key was locked in the safe with our other keys. it is possible the "spare" died earlier. i was surprised that both were dead at the same time.

and to EyeKutr about the RX key, it too has a transponder that communicates with the car each and every time you start or unlock the car. last year the master shell w/ key blade broke in half and i had to order a new shell w/ cut blade. when it arrived i immediately put it in the ignition (to see if the cut blade fit the ignition), but the car won't start unless the transponder is next to the ignition... so in a way, even if it's not keyless go, it still "works" as hard as the keyless go fobs. technology is so neat!

Quick Reply: PLEASE HELP! Both keys won't work ...