GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Park Assist and Snow

Old 01-21-08, 04:46 PM
beercity
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Assist and Snow

Driving home today while it was snowing, my park assist kept going off. I was no where close to any obstacles around me, so I could only assume it's the snow either hitting the sensors or building up on them. I don't think it was build up, b/c they were not going off all the time. But it was only the front sensors.

I looked up how to turn park assist off for this type of situation, but has anyone else seen this problem? Are they calibrated too sensitive?

-j
Old 01-21-08, 05:06 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by beercity
Driving home today while it was snowing, my park assist kept going off. I was no where close to any obstacles around me, so I could only assume it's the snow either hitting the sensors or building up on them. I don't think it was build up, b/c they were not going off all the time. But it was only the front sensors.

I looked up how to turn park assist off for this type of situation, but has anyone else seen this problem? Are they calibrated too sensitive?

-j
Yup, mine go off everytime it snows. - I just turn them off for that day. And then turn them on the next day. This is not that unusual as my garage doors won't close when big snowflakes are coming down also. It takes me 2 or 3 times to get the garage door close without a snowflake triggering the 'safety' feature.
Old 01-22-08, 12:54 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep mine does that too. Usually for me it's the build up. I've only had to turn it off once because I was minutes away from my destination. Otherwise I've just cleaned the sensor up and it was fine.
Old 01-22-08, 07:00 AM
beercity
Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear this is 'normal'. I'll just turn it off when that occurs. Just wasn't sure if they were too sensitive or if there was something wrong.

Thanks again for the replies.

-j
Old 01-22-08, 10:07 AM
rozGS430
Rookie

My sister-in-law and her husband moved to WI from Allentown, PA for a job. Someone told them that the climate is not that much different in WI than in Allentown. That person must have had a great sense of humor. My sensors went off last week here due ice...I just shut PDC down and then turned it back on the next day.
Old 01-22-08, 10:16 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rozGS430
My sister-in-law and her husband moved to WI from Allentown, PA for a job. Someone told them that the climate is not that much different in WI than in Allentown. That person must have had a great sense of humor.
Not sure I follow you here. It depends on where you live in Wisconsin. I would think that the climate in Milwaukee and Allentown would be pretty close.

In fact I just looked at the average temps, and while Milwaukee is a bit colder than Allentown, it's certainly not earthshaking. If you were from far northern Wisconsin, the weather in Allentown should be pretty mild in comparison. But, certainly not fodder for humor.
Old 01-22-08, 10:27 AM
rozGS430
Rookie

didn't mean to insult you. they live in Sussex. not too sharp on WI geography, but i think they get some lake effect snow. reason for my comment was because they have seen several feet of snow and we have not even had a trace here yet. my brother-in-law bought an 07 BMW 328 and loves to drive it...a little tough in the snow, though. so he had to go out and get a honda pilot in addition just to make it to work.
Old 01-22-08, 11:31 AM
beercity
Rookie

Sussex is just outside Milwaukee, about 10-15mins from town. We had close to record snow fall this past December, around 30inches. Another 8 fell yesterday. We really don't get lake effect snow, as the winds blow West to East and the Lake is due east.... sometimes they swirl and it will come back on the city, but not very often.... the west side of Michigan gets hammered by the lake effect snow.
Old 01-22-08, 11:59 AM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by beercity

-j
Just want to add something to what others have said. Yes, it was just the build-up of the snow on the sensors, not the individual snow flakes. And the reason that the alarm was not going off all the time was that it only sounds below certain speed threshold. In other words, the build-up was on the sensors all the time, but the car only beeped when you slowed down below certain speed.

I had this happen twice last winter. I simply got out of the car at one of the street lights and wiped off the build-up from the sensors.
Old 01-22-08, 01:17 PM
beercity
Rookie

It must've built up quickly, as the sensor started going off right after I pulled out of the garage. So I'm not certain it was build up. I really think it was the flakes.... You are right that the beeping and warning stopped once I got going, but came back every time I slowed... I think it was under 5mph... i'm not certain.