GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Lexus of Bridgewater ... Rattles

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-08, 05:50 PM
flunkie
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus of Bridgewater ... Rattles

My 2007 GS 350 AWD is starting to have the rattle issues from the Dash ... Has anyone here in NJ dealt with Lexus of Bridgewater NJ on these issues ?

Last edited by flunkie; 02-16-08 at 10:32 AM.
Old 01-20-08, 06:45 AM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Originally Posted by flunkie
My 2007 GS 250 AWD is starting to have the rattle issues from the Dash ... Has anyone here in NJ dealt with Lexus of Bridgewater NJ on these issues ?
It doesn't matter where you take it, they will fix your car with TSIB's that are out there. They will cut retaining clips for windshield, change ventilation cowl, and insulate speaker grilles. If this does not work they will then take apart your dashboard and insulate with foam. They will only take out dash if above does not work since it is a big job taking out dash, this might lead to other problems when this is done. Think about it before opening a can of worms.
Old 01-21-08, 07:46 AM
flunkie
Rookie

I only ask because when I took the car in to Lexus of Bridewater NJ for my 5k service I asked them about the rattle issues I have been reading about in the forum and the service guy acted like he was surprised. My car didn't have any rattles at that time so I didn't pursue it but now I am going to have to bring it in because my dashbaord sounds like a marching band.

Thanks.
Old 01-21-08, 08:53 AM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I only ask because when I took the car in to Lexus of Bridewater NJ for my 5k service I asked them about the rattle issues I have been reading about in the forum and the service guy acted like he was surprised. My car didn't have any rattles at that time so I didn't pursue it but now I am going to have to bring it in because my dashbaord sounds like a marching band.

Thanks.
I laughed when I read this, because I've had the same experience with my IS350. I think there must be a workshop for service writers to teach them how to act absolutely shocked whenever a known problem is discussed.

The master's class teaches them how to pretend not to hear rattles when you drive around with them to diagnose same. If you get one of those guys, beware...they can also look at you with a straight face and tell you that your Lexus is a sports car, and that all sports cars rattle. They pair this with the "duh" shrug to really drive the point home that everybody knows this.
Old 01-21-08, 09:05 AM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Thanks.
Same thing happened to me. The service writer (the one with a tie on) told me that he had not heard of any problems. After my 2nd visit and I took the shop foreman out for a ride to hear the rattles, he knew as much about the GS rattles as anyone on this forum. He told me he went to a service conference where Japanese Engineers showed up to specifically address the GS dash/windshield noises.
Old 01-21-08, 09:46 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding Lexus of Bridgewater, don't have any experience with them but heard they are OK. Prestige Lexus is the one everybody advising to stay away from. I got mine at Ray Catena, and in tri-state area they are the top people to deal with. They also told me about having a great experience fixing dashboard rattles.

Now, speaking of rattles. This is a second winter for my car, and the only time I hear a rattle is when temperatures are in single digits (like this morning) and only going over potholes or speed bumps. That is not enough to convince myself to allow them taking dashboard apart or cutting any clips. If yours rattles constantly in cold, I can see that being pretty annoying. As it was mentioned before, keep coming back and insist on them taking a test drive with you.
Old 01-21-08, 01:33 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
Now, speaking of rattles. This is a second winter for my car, and the only time I hear a rattle is when temperatures are in single digits (like this morning) and only going over potholes or speed bumps. That is not enough to convince myself to allow them taking dashboard apart or cutting any clips.
Don't be afraid to take it in. My dealership did an A1 job, and not having to listen to the creaking anymore was well worth it. They are really good at removing GS dashes now! - They've had a lot of practice!
Old 01-21-08, 03:24 PM
TimC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
Don't be afraid to take it in. My dealership did an A1 job, and not having to listen to the creaking anymore was well worth it. They are really good at removing GS dashes now! - They've had a lot of practice!
Today, I took in an 08 AWD purchased in late Nov. from Wilkie Lexus. (Haverford, PA)They will be taking out the dash to put felt on the mounting pins. The service manager told me not to worry. They had four other cars with the same problem and one technician is assigned to the task. Let's keep our fingers crossed
Old 01-21-08, 04:55 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TimC
Today, I took in an 08 AWD purchased in late Nov. from Wilkie Lexus. (Haverford, PA)They will be taking out the dash to put felt on the mounting pins. The service manager told me not to worry. They had four other cars with the same problem and one technician is assigned to the task. Let's keep our fingers crossed
I was worried at first also, but they have had a lot of experience in this area and it will eventually turn out fine. It took me 2 trips to the dealer to solve mine.

What is troubling is that Lexus has had this problem with the GS300 in 2006, 2007 and still did not get it corrected by 2008! - I never buy a redesigned car in the first year (2006) and always wait until the 2nd year. In this case, they still have not fixed it in 2008! - This is not new technology! - Cars have had dashes and windshields for 90 years! - Lexus - Get with it! or I am going to look at Kia next time!
Old 01-22-08, 10:19 AM
rozGS430
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my 430 from Wilkie in 3/07. Started rattling as soon as it starting getting colder. Dealing with John Joseph. They cut the windshield retaining clips, but they split my windshield. They fixed that but it rattled worse than ever on the passenger side. They fixed that and now it rattles constantly on the driver side. Called Wilkie last Friday for an appointment and they can't look at it til Feb. 12. Also having a problem with the TPMS. Good luck trying to get that fixed. They already took my dash apart one. Looks like they are going to have to do it again.
Old 01-22-08, 11:01 AM
TimC
Rookie

Originally Posted by rozGS430
Got my 430 from Wilkie in 3/07. Started rattling as soon as it starting getting colder. Dealing with John Joseph. They cut the windshield retaining clips, but they split my windshield. They fixed that but it rattled worse than ever on the passenger side. They fixed that and now it rattles constantly on the driver side. Called Wilkie last Friday for an appointment and they can't look at it til Feb. 12. Also having a problem with the TPMS. Good luck trying to get that fixed. They already took my dash apart one. Looks like they are going to have to do it again.
You have me concerned as you have had your car less than a year. We spend 50K for a care that rattles as though it we an older Honda or Chevy. How bad has it been and did you wish that you did not have (dash taken out)it done? To me it sounded like a death warrant. My service adviser seemed to accept this problem as par for the course, but assured me that Wilkie would take care of it and I would be satisfied. BTY, He indicated that Lexus employees are forbidden to reads these messages boards.
Old 01-22-08, 11:42 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

I never had the problem until it got cold. Now that its cold, it drives me insane. My wife doesn't seem to care and thinks Im being an idiot. I wonder if I never read these forums perhaps I wouldn't mind/notice it. Its driving me nuts though.
Old 01-22-08, 11:58 AM
Brian231
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a bad issue that costs Lexus more in the long-run to re-emberse dealers for tech hours. It is a design flaw that should have been dealt with before the US models arrived. These cars are released a year or two before in Japan, this surprises me.
Old 01-22-08, 04:22 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I was worried at first also, but they have had a lot of experience in this area and it will eventually turn out fine. It took me 2 trips to the dealer to solve mine.

What is troubling is that Lexus has had this problem with the GS300 in 2006, 2007 and still did not get it corrected by 2008! - I never buy a redesigned car in the first year (2006) and always wait until the 2nd year. In this case, they still have not fixed it in 2008! - This is not new technology! - Cars have had dashes and windshields for 90 years! - Lexus - Get with it! or I am going to look at Kia next time!
Unless it's a safety or emission related item, most manufacturers would rather just deal with the warranty work then redesign something because in reality, most people will not bother to bring a vehicle back for a creak or squeak.
I certainly would bring it back.
Old 01-22-08, 04:23 PM
BobsGX
Racer

You have me concerned as you have had your car less than a year. We spend 50K for a care that rattles as though it we an older Honda or Chevy. How bad has it been and did you wish that you did not have (dash taken out)it done? To me it sounded like a death warrant. My service adviser seemed to accept this problem as par for the course, but assured me that Wilkie would take care of it and I would be satisfied.

BTY, He indicated that Lexus employees are forbidden to reads these messages boards.
Did he say that with a straight face??

Quick Reply: Lexus of Bridgewater ... Rattles