GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460
View Poll Results: Did you get a staggered set-up on your wheels?
Yup! And the look definitely outweighs the negatives!
60.00%
Yea, but I wish I went all around with my wheels.
3.64%
No, But I definitely regret not getting it staggered.
5.45%
No, and I'm happy I can still rotate my tires!
30.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Anyone regret getting staggered wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-07, 07:26 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone regret getting staggered wheels?

Was just wondering whether to go staggered or not. I'm loving the look but how is the tire wear? Do the looks outweigh not being able to rotate your tires?

Last edited by Mesca; 11-30-07 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-30-07, 08:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Tobe practical think of it in terms of to lower the car or not to lower the car. If its not lowered go staggered.Ifits lowered go same all the way around.Ion the other hand will probably end up going staggered with the drop.
Old 11-30-07, 08:49 PM
MSL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Tobe practical think of it in terms of to lower the car or not to lower the car. If its not lowered go staggered.Ifits lowered go same all the way around.Ion the other hand will probably end up going staggered with the drop.
No, you could be stager and drop it don't got nothing to do with it as long as you have the right offset on the rims. but ofcourse you have to go stager there is no other way to go on a 3GS is the best look.
Old 11-30-07, 09:02 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Staggered FTW!

I have yet to get wheels, but my springs are coming in and I'm trying to find wheels that are staggered. Can't wait!!! As long as you get an alignment and keep the air pressure in check with the wheels then there should be no real need for tires or rotation, but everyone is different.
Old 11-30-07, 10:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

you gotta pay to play. never think twice on stagger setup myself. all my cars have/had staggered
Old 11-30-07, 10:46 PM
shern
Lexus Champion

What are the negatives of staggered wheels? I can't think of any.
Old 11-30-07, 11:07 PM
safricags
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think staggered gives the car a real classy but aggressive look, very happy i did it
Old 12-01-07, 12:12 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by shern
What are the negatives of staggered wheels? I can't think of any.
less flexibility of rotating tires
Old 12-01-07, 04:05 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

lol so pretty much im gonna go with staggered 20's. or maybe staggered 19's and a drop haha pretty much staggered wins 8-0-0-0 in the poll =P
Old 12-01-07, 08:04 AM
MSL
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mesca
lol so pretty much im gonna go with staggered 20's. or maybe staggered 19's and a drop haha pretty much staggered wins 8-0-0-0 in the poll =P
LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL But ofcourse what did you spect? LOL LOL LOL LOL
Old 12-01-07, 08:09 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
you gotta pay to play. never think twice on stagger setup myself. all my cars have/had staggered
that's right MESCA...step into the big leagues. haha, i just did it myself and dang it looks good checking out the rear tires...EVERYONE comments on it...so if you dig that kind of attention just do it. just figure out if you want the 19 or 20's and the sooner the better if you are prepared financially to do it.
Old 12-02-07, 08:12 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, I was stubborn and did the even fitment after reading about all the negatives about staggered. Getting the sidewalls the same height is important because different diameter wheels travel at different speeds. So what you have is the front wheels traveling at a different speed than the rear. Long term use would eventually affect your brakes and drivetrain...unless your car was designed for staggered....like a Porsche.

The other issue was tire rotation. After 4 years of staggering the wheels, I wanted to be able to rotate. These tires cost too much to buy a set every year or every other year.

Now that I've done it, I regret it. I'm not overly disppointed because I chose the right offsets to mahe everything sit flush. That helps bigtime. Another issue is the choice of tires. My wife's GS looks better with the even setup because her tires look wider. The Nitto Evvo's have a blocked shape making them look wide, even at 245 width. My Bridgestones have a rounder shape making them look more narrow.

I can live with the even setup but I would rather have staggered.
Old 12-02-07, 05:42 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by reggiek
Well, I was stubborn and did the even fitment after reading about all the negatives about staggered. Getting the sidewalls the same height is important because different diameter wheels travel at different speeds. So what you have is the front wheels traveling at a different speed than the rear. Long term use would eventually affect your brakes and drivetrain...unless your car was designed for staggered....like a Porsche.

The other issue was tire rotation. After 4 years of staggering the wheels, I wanted to be able to rotate. These tires cost too much to buy a set every year or every other year.

Now that I've done it, I regret it. I'm not overly disppointed because I chose the right offsets to mahe everything sit flush. That helps bigtime. Another issue is the choice of tires. My wife's GS looks better with the even setup because her tires look wider. The Nitto Evvo's have a blocked shape making them look wide, even at 245 width. My Bridgestones have a rounder shape making them look more narrow.

I can live with the even setup but I would rather have staggered.
Do you like the Nitto Evvo's better than the Bridgestone RE960's? Are you sure the tranny will be affected by the staggered set-up? Also, would the 20" wheel be more problematic than say a 19" staggered?

The GS really needs bigger wheels and lowering by an inch or more. It seems the more conservative approach is to go non-staggered with 19" or 20" wheels and lowering with tanabe springs. Opinions?
Old 12-02-07, 05:45 PM
Valueguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
Are you concerned about early brake failure (rotors and pads) or tranny problems? Do you lower the car as well or just go staggered? How big do you like the wheels so the ride stays like a Lexus? 20"? Finally, what tires do you like with your Big wheel staggered set-up?
Old 12-02-07, 06:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Valueguy
Are you concerned about early brake failure (rotors and pads) or tranny problems? Do you lower the car as well or just go staggered? How big do you like the wheels so the ride stays like a Lexus? 20"? Finally, what tires do you like with your Big wheel staggered set-up?
never any concern. i mean, i can't even imagine what could go wrong. my 98 gs400, had 19s and 20s staggered for 5 yrs, never a single problem on brakes, tranny, or anything else related to the wheels

2005 sc430, 3 yrs, 20s staggered. never a single problem

been running 22s on our ls460l, never any issue

theory is one thing, practical is another. so many people run staggered setup on their lexus (is, gs, ls, sc), if there is really a problem, that won't be the case

as soon as you increase the size of wheels, ride will start to degrade a bit. to me, doesn't matter. at 20s, lowered with coilovers, or even my ls460l lowered with 22s, the ride are still very nice imho and people in my car don't complain. but some people they even complain about the 18s on stock suspension. so it's personal

for tires, i like michelin, very expensive but you get what you pay for. soft and quiet. bridgestone is good handling but loud and stiff, same with yoko imho.

Quick Reply: Anyone regret getting staggered wheels?