GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Windshield/Dash rattle really bad in this cold weather......

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-07, 01:27 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my experience is that it only gets worse after they take it apart.
On my old car, they even introduced a new b-pillar rattle after taking down the headliner.

you never win!!
so now, i'm not touching it until 6 months before warranty is up.
Old 01-20-08, 01:01 PM
TimC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
I drove my car downtown this morning. It was 7 degrees outside! - The windshield/dash rattle is no longer a rattle noise. It sounds like two Styrofoam boxes that are next to each other making a loud rubbing/creaking noise. I can hear it over the radio! I don't even have to go over a bump! Just turning in a curve in the road where the car leans slightly will produce this noise.

This problem is so un-Lexus like that I cannot believe it! - We are not talking new technology here folks! Cars have had Windshields and Dashes for over 80 years. Lexus had this problem solved when they released their first car! I have never owned a car that has done this. I am betting even a Yugo would not have this problem!

My car is going to the dealer on Monday to fix this problem. Luckily my dealer has said they have fixed this problem before and have never had it re-occur. We'll see about that! This is the only thing that is wrong with my GS350 in over a year of ownership. What I cannot believe is that Lexus knew about this problem in 2006 vehicles and it is still there in 2007! This is not rocket science! I will be very interested in hearing if this problem is truly corrected in the 2008 models!

I will keep you posted on progress at the dealership. I am going to stay on them like Pit Bull until they fix this problem. I have a lot of time on my hands to do this as I am retired!

What was the fix in the end? I have the "styrofoam" rubbing sound now that its cold in the PA. Thanks Tim
Old 01-20-08, 01:06 PM
jsl55
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Yikes, it's been in the 10's and 20's here and I just picked up my car yesterday. They did the TSIB on window clip and just like NavyDoc333, it is a little better but still there. So I called to let them know last night and will set up another time to take it in. Hopefully third time is the charm?!

Does anyone hear any rattle from the driver side B pillar or am I hallucinating?!?!
door striker may need to be retorqued.
Old 01-20-08, 04:41 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My March '05 build GS has been rattling on and off for about 2 years now. Hope that the more recent builds are better built.
Old 01-20-08, 05:55 PM
lxtauto
Driver School Candidate

Trere are 2 or 3 TSIB for this problem. before I open my shop. When I was working for a lexus dealer I had to replaced the dash on same RX & gs.see your dealer.
Old 01-22-08, 12:43 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

After having lived with the terrible creaking noise coming from the upper portion of the windshield for a year, I finally got the dealer to fix it. The noise has been almost constant now that we've been having a dry and cold weather in DC area. So I brought the car in, and I had the "Upper windshield ticking" TSIB printed out, and it looks like the dealer has been able to address this particular problem.

Of course, I'd have to give it a few weeks to be sure, but the horribly annoying constant creaking is gone for now. Hurray! But now that the car is quieter, I notice other rattles and noises...
Old 12-05-08, 06:48 PM
jackgs
Driver School Candidate

Angry Dash Rattle! Please Help !

Hi everyone, I've just got my first Lexus a week ago. I love the 2006 GS300 AWD, event thougthit's used, the last owner had kept it in a nice condition.

Anyway, the dash is rattling on bumpier road, and the noise are mostly come from the speaker covers on top of the dash..

The vehicle is out of warrenty, so I was wondering if anyone here know how the speaker cover on the dash comes off ?.. so I can put some padding aroudn and eliminate the noise.. hope it does nto require a dash removal.

Please do include pictures if you anyone has any..

Any suggestion is welcomed.

Thank you all in advance.
Old 12-05-08, 07:18 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The good news is that I don't hear much over the squeaking brakes
Old 12-07-08, 06:41 PM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

2008 GS owner here and I also have loads of creaks, rattles and ticking sounds.

The worst so far being the dash/windshield creaking noise which is exactly the same as the OP has described. I am a former mercedes owner and wish I had never made the switch from german to japanese because I would much rather deal with the german issues over this stuff. Tracking down these noises is a never ending story and I am already 0 for 1 with Lexus. Brought my car in to have some of this stuff fixed, they said, "everything is fixed sir, come on pick 'er up!" Well, I go back to the dealer and the service print out says, "unable to reproduce" for all of the issues. Nice.

Guess I will try another dealer.
Old 12-08-08, 05:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Just to be fair pjonlheer, not all Japanese cars squeaks and rattles like the GS.
Old 12-08-08, 06:59 AM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by The G Man
Just to be fair pjonlheer, not all Japanese cars squeaks and rattles like the GS.
You're right. I should not make that judgment. However, I would say they do more so than their German counterparts.
Old 12-08-08, 07:12 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

My Honda accord never did it. This is the first car I've been in that does it (including American cars as well)

So depressing =(

I should be talking to lexus today (they supposed to call me). Hopefully there is some shocking news but I doubt it
Old 12-08-08, 07:29 AM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

My GS is going in tomorrow for these issues.

I will report back with the details. Fingers crossed!
Old 12-08-08, 08:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by pjonkheer
You're right. I should not make that judgment. However, I would say they do more so than their German counterparts.
Come on pjonkheer, I have own 5 Lexus, the other 4 have been solid as a rock. Even the Germans make bad cars once a while, think VW Toureg or 1st gen MB ML350.
Old 12-08-08, 01:34 PM
pjonkheer
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by The G Man
Come on pjonkheer, I have own 5 Lexus, the other 4 have been solid as a rock. Even the Germans make bad cars once a while, think VW Toureg or 1st gen MB ML350.
LOL, it's funny you mention the ML. My parents owned that 1st gen ML and it was a royal piece of crap. I did hear bad things about the Toureg as well but will not hold VW to the standard of creak/rattle/noise free cabins. This is getting off topic now but it's tough to compare a 1st gen ML to a 3rd gen GS in it's 3rd year already of the current generation. A close friend of mine owns a '99 E-Class and to this today the interior is silent. He also owns an Acura TL and that vehicle is riddled with rattles. We could go on all day about which area of the globe is better or worse but in my experiences the Germans are better. I have owned the following myself..

2000 and 2006 S2000
'99 and 2003 Maxima
Buick GS
C5 Corvette
Saab 9-3
Mercedes C55
Audi S5
Lexus GS350
Lexus ES300 ('95)

I have extensive time in an E-Class, TL, all generations of the ML, M5, 5-series. That is about all I can think of now. BTW, I am not basing my judgments on the S2000 because everyone knows that car should have rattles etc.

Last edited by pjonkheer; 12-08-08 at 02:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Windshield/Dash rattle really bad in this cold weather......