GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Pre-Owned Certified... a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-07, 04:43 AM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pre-Owned Certified... a scam?

In Oct I bought a 06 GS 300 which was 'Pre-Owned Certified' that I found online, from an out of State dealer. On the way home from the dealer, I would notice that the car had a high frequency vibration whenever I applied the breaks from 45-60mph. I read certification paperwork and it had a 'check' in the box next to "rotors show no sign of wear, warpage, heat damage..etc. It showed my break pads having 55% life in the front and 75% in the rear.
So when I got home, I brought it into my local Lexus dealer and they inspected the breaks and said, it needed to have the rotors machined and would recommend new break pads, because warped/glazed rotors tend to make the pads wear uneven, and to fully resolve the vibration I would probably need a 'full break job' costing $289 per axle. This wouldn't be covered under warranty because it's a 'wear and tear' item...and that I coiuld take it up with the out of State dealer.
Soooo I called Lexus Customer Service and explained it to them... their answer was, "Take it up with the dealer...we can't 'make' the dealers do anything".
So I called the dealer I bought the car from, and they said, "We'll get back to you". A week later and no call... I called again, and got another "We'll get back to you". A week later I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. My complaint essentially saying, "I do not feel that the Certification Inspection was done properly, and I was charged for a service I didn't recieve." Noting that Lexus charges a premium for a Pre-Owned Certified car ... usually about $2000-2500. I haven't heard back from the BBB yet (just filed yesterday and it's the weekend)
Notably... the Lexus dealer did FINALLY call me back yesterday and said they would try and contact my local Lexus dealer and work out a solution. But by now I'm pissed. I want a full inspection done over, because who knows how many 'checks' were put in boxes and the work or inspection never done. I also pointed out to Lexus that when I was interesed in buying the car... his salesman called me 3x in one night. Not to mention the call after I brought the car home asking me to make sure I say, "Excellent" when Lexus calls to ask how my buying experience was. When I've got a complaint, it takes 2 weeks for them to get back to me?! So I guess we'll see what happens now. I'm sure they won't appreciate getting a complaint from the BBB, maybe they'll be more responsive to a customers complaint next time. Oh... and as for Lexus Customer Service. If you have a problem with the dealer...and they're answer is, "Work it out with your dealer....We can't make the dealer do anything" What good are they?
Anyway... thanks for listening. Just needed to vent!
Old 11-17-07, 06:50 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a similar experience with the purchase of a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder that was supposedly CPO a few years back. The car had a on going exhaust leak that they didn't tell me about and it was going to cost me a decent amount to fix it. Then they didn't tell me how the brakes were aftermarket when my brakes started to have problems so I was charged a decent amount aswell. Luckily the car has been okay since.
Old 11-17-07, 07:50 PM
cvex
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CPO cars is a joke. None goes to any inspection. If the cars "LOOKS" decent and is drivable, it is consider CPO. I went to a BMW CPO dealer the other day and let me tell you, I drove three 5 series back to back. Each have atleast 2-3 noticeable problem that I pointed out and the salesman that ride with me was embarrased when I questioned him " Is this a Certified Pre-Owned?"