GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-08, 03:00 AM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nav bypass switch

finally found the rocker switch whose size is the closest to the panel cutout, and the material closest to our console panel (imho).
the p/n is JWL11RA1A, requires cutout size 29.5mm x 20.5mm, which is slightly wider than our panel cutout 30mm x 20mm. guess filing .25mm off the cutout on each side is a no-brainer easy task. one extra work is file 4 rounded cutout corners to fit the non-rounded switch casing, which is also a <5min job even you want to do it carefully.
note I've done dvd/phone mod a while ago. many thanks to quezacotl's nice wiring diagram!!!

the panel with the dummy taken out, and the JWL11RA1A rocker switch

file the cutout and the switch snaps in nicely

a pair of insulated female disconnects

finished

Last edited by weilunc5; 04-04-08 at 03:18 AM. Reason: missing link
Old 04-07-08, 08:33 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Well done, it is not too tall for the center console to slode forward is it?? I found some switches that are small enough to mount on the plastic popoff clip itself....
Old 04-08-08, 05:02 PM
weilunc5
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Well done, it is not too tall for the center console to slode forward is it?? I found some switches that are small enough to mount on the plastic popoff clip itself....
it's about the same height as the adjacent ETC switch. the armrest still has good clearance to slide over.
this rocker switch is made by a Japanese company named NKK. the plastic material looks pretty much identical to that of the panel, so blends in nicely imo. $7.99 a piece ordered form digikey. not cheap but worth every penny because it preserves the classy/clean look of the console. prior to this, I tried 2 other AM switches for some toyota/scion. the material quality was no comparison.

also for the smaller one to mount on the insert....ummm, sorry but not my option.

now I am so happy with the mod because I can enter address and check POI any time I want. it makes much more sense to use it this way. otherwise, the nav is just a scrolling map.
Old 04-16-08, 11:34 AM
jpsiris
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for shop in San Jose, CA

I have a 2007 GS450h with nav and ML,and want to have the nav mods and an ipod adapter installed. I live in San Jose, CA - does anyone have any suggestions of a good place to get the work done? Thanks.
Old 04-26-08, 01:49 PM
chopperpl
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeeeeehaaaa!!!!! done in less than 2hrs! I can't believe I missed this thread when looking for solution for '08 450h about a month ago.

Thanks to all of you that spent own time to make other people happy!
Old 04-27-08, 06:56 AM
drpepper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpsiris
I have a 2007 GS450h with nav and ML,and want to have the nav mods and an ipod adapter installed. I live in San Jose, CA - does anyone have any suggestions of a good place to get the work done? Thanks.
I noticed that the VAIS website has has a forum with a lot of "locating installers in X" threads.
Old 04-29-08, 09:24 AM
rmedine
Driver School Candidate

Hey everyone, just got a 08 GS350 and had a company in Socal (Bluetooth Valet) do all the nav override, phone override, dvd override, iphone integration and sirius sat radio utilizing the shark fin antenna. They did an amazing job. came to my house did it in my garage in less than 2 hrs! Highly recommended! They are based in San Diego but I live in LA. Also when you sell or get rid of the car they uninstall everything and put it into your new Lexus for a very small fee.

I know most people can follow the directions above but I was uncomforable cutting wires and stuff.
Old 05-01-08, 05:11 PM
Lexus GS3
Trouble Maker

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chronic397
I successfully did this mod tonight on a 2008 gs350. The first time it took me about 2 hours to get everything apart and put back together but it didn't work. It was because I cut the wrong purple wire. There were 2 purple wires on the harness but cut the wrong one because I thought there was only one. After I got the right one connected everything works perfectly. The only tip I can think of other than what was mentioned here is when pulling the unit out use a towel or something to grab the 2 metal tabs at the bottom so you can pull harder and not cut your hands. It makes it much easier to pull out.

The one question I had was does anyone have a wiring diagram to lookup what the other purple wire does. I am just curious.
Originally Posted by kingmich
Thanks to Rolling Audio, here's what my car can do:

Navigation entry and POI in motion
Phone Dial in motion
DVD in motion
Mp3 Browsing in motion
Menu/settings in Motion

This company was fast and affordable. No $400 cable to buy.
I watched them during the whole process. They respected my vehicle with careful removal of parts, towels and mats while they were in the car and most important, NOW I CAN USE MY CAR to it's full potential!

PM me or PM Rolling Audio for info (sacramento)
Originally Posted by rmedine
Hey everyone, just got a 08 GS350 and had a company in Socal (Bluetooth Valet) do all the nav override, phone override, dvd override, iphone integration and sirius sat radio utilizing the shark fin antenna. They did an amazing job. came to my house did it in my garage in less than 2 hrs! Highly recommended! They are based in San Diego but I live in LA. Also when you sell or get rid of the car they uninstall everything and put it into your new Lexus for a very small fee.

I know most people can follow the directions above but I was uncomforable cutting wires and stuff.

GUYS after sucessfully done with your nav hack and adding a switch for navigation and POI entry. What the total time you have before the NAV goes back to lockout mode?????
Old 05-01-08, 06:59 PM
EyeKutr

^ if driving in city (40 mph or so) - maybe a few minutes (enought time usually) but on hwy, maybe a minute, and you rock switch back and forth and it resets again
Old 05-02-08, 12:03 PM
rmedine
Driver School Candidate

On mine you just press the switch and it overrides it for an unlimited amount of time. The gps wont work though while the button is pressed so you have to remember to switch it back or it wont track you correctly. every 45 sec or so the screen will grey out for a second (while the system overrides the car again) and then come back on. This way you can get around the system kicking you out every 60 seconds.
Old 05-05-08, 10:18 AM
Sentinels
Driver School Candidate

Anyone know if there are any places that offer the same service in the East Coast (New York State preferably)?

Originally Posted by rmedine

Old 05-15-08, 06:30 AM
brn2rnjk1
Driver

Anyone know of a place in westchester NY or southern CT that would do a bypass?
Old 05-15-08, 03:02 PM
EyeKutr

Originally Posted by brn2rnjk1
Anyone know of a place in westchester NY or southern CT that would do a bypass?

For these inquiries, just start a new thread and ask...
Old 05-16-08, 01:49 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

My hybrid disc does not allow me to dial BT phone on the nav screen in motion and as far as I know it only works with the cutting wire modification.

However, this guy proclaims http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...west-v7-1-nav/that his hybrid disc allows the TOYOTA nav to make a BT dialing in motion. I pm'ed him and he confirmed it affirmatively... of course he is selling it but I just can't believe it actually works.

Note: My hybrid disc is 6.1+5.1 vs. he is selling 7.1+5.1, could this be the reason?
Old 06-08-08, 02:03 PM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Anyone in Dallas,Tx do the wire hack on a 2007 GS 350 ???

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen GS Nav Bluetooth DVD mods thread