GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Body Rattles - DIY thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-11, 08:44 AM
jusdach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by twylie
I has a similar squeek that went away when I pressed on the left side of the dash above the left side of the cluster (angled part). I pulled the trim piece that covers the three gauge circles out about 1/4" on the left side. It is just press fit into place - you can grab it applying outward pressure and pull toward you. Once I slid it out a bit, the squeek went away. I keep meaning to remove it completely and figure out where to apply felt or foam, but I forget about doing it until i detail the car and see it not sitting flush. I also had a minor squeek coming from the dash speaker grill on that side, but the dealer resolved that when they did the dash TSB fixes. My guess is the noise you are hearing is coming from one of those two spots.
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot tonight.
Old 10-17-11, 06:39 AM
Khandfw
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet, been looking for this
Old 10-17-11, 09:59 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jusdach
EyeKutr,

Thanks for the detailed walkthrough. I've owned my GS 350 less than 30 days and the rattling Nav headunit was driving me crazy, but not $1,500 stealership crazy. After spending $4.07 at Loew's for a roll of weatherseal, I followed your remedy last night. This AM on my drive from work not a single mouse fart came outta my headunit and I owe my new found sanity to you. Now I just need to locate the minor squeaking coming somewhere near my steering column or just above my gauge cluster.

Glad to hear it worked for you buddy
Old 03-13-12, 01:16 PM
Franco09
Driver School Candidate

I have a 09 GS 350 and i just installed a couple 10 inch subs in the back. I know, this thread is mainly just squeaks and rattles when normally driving and subs are going to exasperate my rattle problems. But just in case someone has some useful ideas, my rear view mirror is rattling pretty good. There isnt much that you can do about it physically shaking when the bass hits but i was just hoping to get rid of the sound it makes when the bass hits. I will try some other ideas iv had when i get home. Let me know if there are any common culprits for noises from the mirror.

Also, unrelated to the subs, i get a faint rattle from the plastic around my gauge cluster directly behind the steering wheel. This was happening before the subs were installed and it would happen when i hit a slight bump or a bad crack in the road. I can press down on the plastic and it seems to stop when i do that. Has anyone encountered this? Anything on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Franco09; 03-13-12 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-15-12, 08:41 PM
loci
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Franco09
Also, unrelated to the subs, i get a faint rattle from the plastic around my gauge cluster directly behind the steering wheel. This was happening before the subs were installed and it would happen when i hit a slight bump or a bad crack in the road. I can press down on the plastic and it seems to stop when i do that. Has anyone encountered this? Anything on either of these issues would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I get this too. Very annoying but I don't know of a solution to fix it yet.
Old 10-16-12, 09:21 AM
ohno
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good write up! Might do this when I'm off work!
Old 11-19-12, 09:54 AM
loci
Driver School Candidate

To fix the dash squeaks all I did was take a moderately thick soft cloth and stuffed it in the dash next to the windshield. No more noises, 100% noise free.

Does anyone know how to fix the noises from the door panels? Whenever I go over bumps or rough pavement, I hear noises. Also, when I take sharp turns, left or right, I hear a metal on metal "ding" from the passenger side door. Does anyone hear that?
Old 11-19-12, 03:31 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So the rattle thread comes alive once winter hits
Old 11-19-12, 09:59 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by loci
To fix the dash squeaks all I did was take a moderately thick soft cloth and stuffed it in the dash next to the windshield. No more noises, 100% noise free.

Does anyone know how to fix the noises from the door panels? Whenever I go over bumps or rough pavement, I hear noises. Also, when I take sharp turns, left or right, I hear a metal on metal "ding" from the passenger side door. Does anyone hear that?
I had some rattles in the door panel when the bass hit, took it apart and used a little bit of foam weathertripping around the circular speaker assembly and it helped. I also used some between the wood panels, cant recall exactly where back there but basically between the joints.
Old 11-21-12, 02:08 PM
loci
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
So the rattle thread comes alive once winter hits
Lol. I have been reviewing this thread for a while and finally wanted to do something about the noises.
Old 11-21-12, 02:47 PM
loci
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
I had some rattles in the door panel when the bass hit, took it apart and used a little bit of foam weathertripping around the circular speaker assembly and it helped. I also used some between the wood panels, cant recall exactly where back there but basically between the joints.
Thanks EyeKutr. I will open the door panel this weekend. The rustling and squeaking noises are mainly coming from the side of the door that's right next to the seat. I looked at it seems the panels are quite loose anyways. I will try to stick ca piece of cloth into the tabs and foam all around the top and right side of the doors.

According to your write up (a few years back - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...iy-thread.html), I just need to remove the puddle light and one screw under the plastic trim within the inside door handles. Is it similar to the rear doors as well?

Thanks!
Old 11-22-12, 08:40 AM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts

I too had squeaks everywhere you turned the dash was fixed using a 5 foot by 4 inch strip of black felt. Pushing it down between the dash and windshield solved that problem. Just make sure you don't cover up the vin number

The drivers and passenger door squeaked all around the handle so I had enough. The dealer did nothing to help so I needed to take matters into my own hands. I took the door panel off and took the entire handle assembly apart. I put sound detonating all around where the handle parts meet together. I also went around and tightened all the loose Phillips head screws on the inside of the panel. All the screws.were loose. I wiggled the rest of the panel to make sure everything was tight and rattle free. Here are a few pictures of the process. My handle is solid and not a peep comes from the door. My ML system sounds so good now that I hear the bass and not the rattles.

Old 12-05-12, 11:39 AM
loci
Driver School Candidate

Thanks mmade22! This was awesome! However, I tried to take the doors off last weekend and I couldn't get it off from the top. Steps I took:

1. I rolled the window down completely
2. I removed the door pocket led light and the screw underneath
3. I removed the door handle plastic piece and the screw underneath
4. I removed the screw within the round piece closest to the dash (I don't think I needed to remove this)
5. I un-clipped the bottom of the door easily (around 5 clips)
6. I tried to pull it out with no luck
7. Then tried to push up to the window opening but the door had the tendency to bend so I stopped

I could not get the door panel off of the door! What is the easiest way to actually get it off from the top? I need it off to insulate the top border of the door because that is where all the noises come (from the clips I assume) when the car is cold and I'm driving over bumps or rough pavement.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-12, 11:30 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

More details in this thread.
Old 12-08-12, 11:33 PM
loci
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DrexLex
More details in this thread.