GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Body Rattles - DIY thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 07:54 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AMEN about the rattle's and creeks that we have been noticing and dealing with. We deserve a trophy for putting up with this.
Old 05-16-10, 07:20 PM
GS350Lexus
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
Here you go stars......tools needed
Standard screw driver with electric tape applied to the end (protects the wood as you pop it off)
Phillips screwdriver
10mm socket wrench
Insulation

first you need to remove the center console, look at this thread
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=156160

Once you remove the 4 10mm bolts, you can wiggle the entire unit up and down and hear the creaks. Pop the entire unit out, I find the tape deck slot handy as I use the hole to get leverage on the assembly and the thing draws out if you pull backwards and slightly up. It takes a bit to get it out, but it slides out. Then the a/c vent at the top can be popped off by gently prying on the tap below it with a screwdriver.

I applied insulation to the top and bottom of this vent and then reinstalled the vent (be sure to reconnect the LED wiring to it)

Next, install some insulation on each side of the center console. You can put more of this insulation on plastic components that you feel may also creak. I put a small amount on the little metal shelves (see in the rear part of the dash). Next, slide the unit back in, you need to compress the insulation on both sides as you slide it in so it fits in flush.

Once you reinstall the center stack, you will note that the gap between the a/c vents and the center stack is larger than before. Firmly push up on the stack from the bottom and crank your bolts down and you will reduce the gap greatly as the insulation is readily compressible. Go for a drive before reinstalling the shifter / cup holder console assembly.

This is the stuff, found at home depot (door weather strip insulation)
Hey,
Thanks a lot for the DIY and detailed pics that you have shared with us, i did this today to my car and it actually worked " knock on wood". Its great that we can fix some rattle's our self. Now i am on a hunt to figure out the driver door squeak and rattle. I HIGHLY suggest anyone with a dash rattle to do this its EASY clips pop right out. You will appreciate it much more when you do it and get it DONE!!
Old 05-16-10, 07:44 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS350Lexus
Hey,
Thanks a lot for the DIY and detailed pics that you have shared with us, i did this today to my car and it actually worked " knock on wood". Its great that we can fix some rattle's our self. Now i am on a hunt to figure out the driver door squeak and rattle. I HIGHLY suggest anyone with a dash rattle to do this its EASY clips pop right out. You will appreciate it much more when you do it and get it DONE!!
People have we lost our minds here? - Is this why we bought a Lexus?

I never even thought about this kind of stuff when I owned my 3 Honda Accords!
Old 05-17-10, 05:05 AM
mr3gs300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks like one more lil mod to try

Last edited by mr3gs300; 05-17-10 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-06-10, 09:11 AM
edwin1027
Driver School Candidate

Default TSB Ventilation Cowl

Originally Posted by NavyDoc333
I posted this on another thread about noises. I figured that anyone who's had success isolating and eliminating a noise could post here ...so we can use are combined blood/sweat/tears to figure these noise issues out.

I feel like I can only go to the dealer so many times before I get labled a LOON. And often when I do take it in, my car's not making the noise, or the route they drive it on isn't bumpy enough to reproduce it. Anyway...I've found doing it myself is more rewarding and often more effective.

Here's my original post... sorry if you've already read it on another thread.

Hey Guys... well mine is finally quiet as a church mouse...here's what I did.

Had Window Clips cut (decreased noise from upper dash 50%)

Had TSB for Ventilation Cowl done (decreased noises from upper dash 100%)

Creaking from door panel whenever I'd rest my arm on it... pulled rear upper door panel back (there is a single clip back there...if you try this be careful, it could break) Took a piece of cloth and put it over the clip and pushed door panel back on. Silent.

squeeking/rubbing noise coming from inside of driver seat. Pulled back of seat off... localized the noise to a spring that was rubbing against the foam seat... put a piece of felt tape around the spring coil. Silent.

Had a faint clicking coming from what sounded like the B-pillar right by ear. Pressed on the window and it would go away. Rolled down the window, and put silicone grease along the rubber window seals. Silent.

Still had 'clicking/creaking' over bumps from Nav Headunit... took it out last night. Put a piece of 2mm thick black dense foam paper (bought at wallmart in the arts/crafts department) up both sides of the unit...and along the top (in between the AC Vents and the unit). Squeezed it back into it's place.

Drove it last night and back and forth to work today. Not one click/squeek/rub/rattle or burp, ... none... NOTHING! Amazing. Now this is what a Lexus is supposed to sound like.... quiet.

Keep posting about your problems...and any solutions. I've used quiet a few of you all's ideas to isolate and fix things. Thanks!

Please can you provide me with TSB number or TSB details for Ventilation Cowl issue ?? thanks.
Old 12-06-10, 03:14 PM
grondie
Merkur Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by edwin1027

please can you provide me with tsb number or tsb details for ventilation cowl issue ?? Thanks.
l-sb-0040-08
Old 12-06-10, 04:22 PM
GSLEX0586
Driver

my dash doesnt rattle, but my ML subwoofer will rattle an area somewhere around the passenger side door/dash area. its somewhere in that vicinity. any clue?
Old 12-06-10, 06:03 PM
username32
Pole Position

Best anti-rattle kit
Old 12-08-10, 07:20 AM
gsexy300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by username32
Best anti-rattle kit
yeah my girlfriend who is sick of listening to me get all OCD about rattles would approve of this solution.
Old 12-08-10, 12:55 PM
AndyUK
Rookie

Oh, I thought you wedged them down the back of the dashboard
Old 12-09-10, 06:09 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Holy crap, thread revival from 07.....fellas, my 06 gs300 is still pretty darn quiet after all these years. Love it.....
Old 12-10-10, 06:45 AM
mrblack
Rookie

Bought my 07 GS350 in October with 23k miles. Heard a couple little things here and there not quite like whats been discussed on these forums. Until Wednesday night.. Sounded like styrofoam squeaking up by the windshield. I was already well aware of all the issues from the site so went ahead and made my first appt with lexus. Also have a creaking in my drivers seat when weight shifts like taking a corner especially an exit on/off ramp.

Anyways dropped the car off this morning and met with the service associate guy. He was aware of the cowl and dashboard issues and stated there are kits for them.

However this morning on the 45 minute ride to the dealer, not 1 dashboard noise. It was 18 degrees the whole ride there too. My seat still made the noise though that at least is a sort of constant.

When the service guy said they have the 2 kits depending on what the issue is they determine which to install. I asked for him to just do both as we know this is a common issue.. No he says, the fault must be present. I'm nervous now because it wasn't making any noise this morning. I tried adjusting my defrost heat, turning heat off all together anything to get the area to the right temp to recreate what I heard the other night. I haven't moved my car since I pulled in the driveway with the noise the other night.

I feel like they are going to maybe address the seat noise but tell me they don't hear the dash noises. Hopefully this is not the beginning of a long frustrating process. Honestly though I cant blame them too much if they take it for a ride and its as quiet as it was when I drover it in, I'd think I'm crazy too.

Great site great info everyone, thanks!
Old 12-10-10, 08:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I dont miss the rattles and squeaks of my GS350. It was so damn annoying. In the end after having the dash removed 5 times and the console being taken apart 3 times I was sick of and my service advisor kind of politely said there really isnt anything else they could do. They also made it clear that a car that was lowered like my GS was was going to have rattles. The dash rattled, the console squeaked, and the sun roof rattled every time I closed the door to the car. The LS460 I bought is built like a damn tank but has some wind noise issues and issues with drivers seat comfort. There are TSIBs on these issues and I am hoping they will be resolved at my next service
Old 07-18-11, 07:09 AM
jusdach
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EyeKutr,

Thanks for the detailed walkthrough. I've owned my GS 350 less than 30 days and the rattling Nav headunit was driving me crazy, but not $1,500 stealership crazy. After spending $4.07 at Loew's for a roll of weatherseal, I followed your remedy last night. This AM on my drive from work not a single mouse fart came outta my headunit and I owe my new found sanity to you. Now I just need to locate the minor squeaking coming somewhere near my steering column or just above my gauge cluster.
The following users liked this post:
hanifh (09-05-22)
Old 07-18-11, 08:18 AM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jusdach
EyeKutr,

Thanks for the detailed walkthrough. I've owned my GS 350 less than 30 days and the rattling Nav headunit was driving me crazy, but not $1,500 stealership crazy. After spending $4.07 at Loew's for a roll of weatherseal, I followed your remedy last night. This AM on my drive from work not a single mouse fart came outta my headunit and I owe my new found sanity to you. Now I just need to locate the minor squeaking coming somewhere near my steering column or just above my gauge cluster.
I has a similar squeek that went away when I pressed on the left side of the dash above the left side of the cluster (angled part). I pulled the trim piece that covers the three gauge circles out about 1/4" on the left side. It is just press fit into place - you can grab it applying outward pressure and pull toward you. Once I slid it out a bit, the squeek went away. I keep meaning to remove it completely and figure out where to apply felt or foam, but I forget about doing it until i detail the car and see it not sitting flush. I also had a minor squeek coming from the dash speaker grill on that side, but the dealer resolved that when they did the dash TSB fixes. My guess is the noise you are hearing is coming from one of those two spots.

Quick Reply: Body Rattles - DIY thread