GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My recent dealer experience - another squeaky car

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-07, 02:29 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default My recent dealer experience - another squeaky car

So many of you know, I bought a gs300 after Lexus bought my first one (lemon). I swore to myself it is not going in for rattles. Well, it happened, 1st a ML speaker metal base / clip holder fell off and made a horrible metal on metal rattle (left front speaker) - I took it apart myself, then a speaker in the right door began to rattle, I too it apart and insulated - it was actually the wood trim around the window switch. Then there was a click from the front right side of the dash, I took apart the front side dash speaker, insulated things and it still remained. i started to wonder if it is the windshield click....Lastly, I started to hear a rumble kind of noise with the rpms each time the engine was revving. this was annoying as it is present 100% of the time. Even at highway speeds I could hear it. So I take it in finally, I mention to the service advisor, the tech and I go on a ride. The tech is awesome, he immediately states the dash noise to the right sounds like the windshield clip, and he would cut it. The rpm related noise, the tech did not know what it was. My guess is that there was a rattlle in the firewall that i was hearing through the dash.

So i drop it off and get a call in a couple of days. The rpm rumble happens to be the actual tachometer making a noise, so a new cluster panel is ordered, $1600....the tech went to shave the w/s clip, the windshield cracked !!!! a new one is installed.....$1100 - I go to pick up the car, and the cluster is installed but a foam insulation piece is exposed covering the upper part of the tach.....I also notice a ding on my drivers door. Like many here, I am so **** as you can tell, I notice everything. I tell the service advisor, the ding is new - he says, ok , take the loaner and come back this afternoon. When I go back, the Paintless dent repair guy had done a great job on the door and car is now very quiet.

I think the lesson here is, unless the rattles are really annoying, it may not be wortwhile taking it in, I have had dealer induced damage at 3 separate visits while my GSs have been in for the repairs....lets see what rattles next...
Old 10-07-07, 03:54 PM
3GS168
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i feel you man, big time. My GS rattles all over the place and at different times. I got my 430 two years ago and it rattled from the start. I took it in several times and it's hard to force a noise so the dealer can see where it's coming from. The only time that they did fix it, it was from the back and they had to take the whole seat out and they ended up scratching the side of my car and on the interior door panel. I didn't notice it until i got home because i was in a rush that day. I was so p.o. It was obvious and they didn't notice it. Basically from that experience, i just ended up living with it because the more they take it apart, the more noises i notice. Just had a service done last week and mentioned the noise from the passenger door, but of course, they didn't fix the problem.
Old 10-07-07, 04:16 PM
EyeKutr

I am sorry to hear about your experience too. I wonder if my new windshield will have any air leaks, wind noises etc....

Last edited by EyeKutr; 10-07-07 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 09:31 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i promised myself i would just wait till 6 months before the warranty expires to fix all the rattles at once.
Old 10-08-07, 06:30 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Geez,

I feel so sorry for you. Thats a beautiful white GS you have and I hope everything will smooth out for you. I had a speaker rattle on the right corner windshield and I have hearing aids and I heard something coming from there that was not ever there before and I thought that it was my hearing aids but hey it was the speaker cover. I slammed my sweat band into the space between the windshield and the speaker cover, and the sound was gone! That was last fall, and 20,000 miles later, no problem on my 2006 GS300.
Old 10-08-07, 08:59 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a rattle coming from the passenger side dash, I think I'll address that when I go in for 10k.
Old 10-09-07, 02:09 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

eyekutr - do you know if the new 2007s have the same rattles and squeaks?
Old 10-09-07, 08:05 AM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
So many of you know, I bought a gs300 after Lexus bought my first one (lemon). I swore to myself it is not going in for rattles. Well, it happened, 1st a ML speaker metal base / clip holder fell off and made a horrible metal on metal rattle (left front speaker) - I took it apart myself, then a speaker in the right door began to rattle, I too it apart and insulated - it was actually the wood trim around the window switch. Then there was a click from the front right side of the dash, I took apart the front side dash speaker, insulated things and it still remained. i started to wonder if it is the windshield click....Lastly, I started to hear a rumble kind of noise with the rpms each time the engine was revving. this was annoying as it is present 100% of the time. Even at highway speeds I could hear it. So I take it in finally, I mention to the service advisor, the tech and I go on a ride. The tech is awesome, he immediately states the dash noise to the right sounds like the windshield clip, and he would cut it. The rpm related noise, the tech did not know what it was. My guess is that there was a rattlle in the firewall that i was hearing through the dash.

So i drop it off and get a call in a couple of days. The rpm rumble happens to be the actual tachometer making a noise, so a new cluster panel is ordered, $1600....the tech went to shave the w/s clip, the windshield cracked !!!! a new one is installed.....$1100 - I go to pick up the car, and the cluster is installed but a foam insulation piece is exposed covering the upper part of the tach.....I also notice a ding on my drivers door. Like many here, I am so **** as you can tell, I notice everything. I tell the service advisor, the ding is new - he says, ok , take the loaner and come back this afternoon. When I go back, the Paintless dent repair guy had done a great job on the door and car is now very quiet.

I think the lesson here is, unless the rattles are really annoying, it may not be wortwhile taking it in, I have had dealer induced damage at 3 separate visits while my GSs have been in for the repairs....lets see what rattles next...
I think the lesson here (and among other 'rattle' posts I've read) is that Lexus is turning into what Cadillac was: A luxury brand that had polish and a reputation for quality that is now slowly diminishing due to lack of quality control. On the other hand, Cadillac has turned the corner and is becoming the luxury brand it once was years ago.

I just hope my GS doesn't develop the squeaks and rattles I'm reading about.
Old 10-09-07, 04:55 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

my GS rattles all over, dash and somewhere in the rear deck

6/07 build date so only 4 months old. Already been in for the dash and it was fixed but it came back. The car will be gone in a few months.

On the other hand my friend's 07 is350 has absolutely no rattles with 6k miles. Mine has 3k miles.
Old 10-09-07, 04:56 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

Oh yeah, the dealer scratched all my wheels at 1500 miles when they replaced the yokohamas to michelins. All the way to the metal.
Old 10-10-07, 12:35 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlBoston
Oh yeah, the dealer scratched all my wheels at 1500 miles when they replaced the yokohamas to michelins. All the way to the metal.
Funny, same thing happened to me. Rather than repair them, they ordered 4 new wheels so they took care of it without issues. These "mistakes" must really add up!
Old 10-10-07, 12:38 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

I forgot to mention, I have a new rattle. The plastic insert behind the inside door opening handle rattles. The car is so damn quiet with the PS2s that I hear everything now! Whenever I put my finger on it, it goes away so I kind of drive one handed now.
Old 10-10-07, 08:44 PM
EyeKutr

Robert
at least you have to admit, the car is otherwise pretty damn good. Most of complaints are from people with rattles, few with alignment issues, many with gripes about tires and features lacking this that or whatever, but not too many with actual real problems.....quite amazing considering all the technology in this car really !!!
Old 10-11-07, 02:39 AM
2thfixr
Lexus Test Driver

Agree 100%, at one point I considered trading it for an LS460 but abandoned the idea after reading about the wind noise issues with that car. The door trim piece rattle is the only one that I have (knock on wood - hasn't been cold enough for the dash rattle to surface).
Old 10-11-07, 01:06 PM
NavyDoc333
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I recently traded an 06 Acura RL in for an 06 GS300. If it makes you all feel any better...the RL had a TON of rattles. I was pulling apart my center console on a weekly basis shoving in pieces of felt. I also had an annoying b-pillar rattle which was a 'weld point'...

Quick Reply: My recent dealer experience - another squeaky car