GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mark Levinson Option (Yes or No)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 10:25 AM
joBox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mark Levinson Option (Yes or No)?

In ONE week, I am going to be getting a 2007 end of the year GS 350 and I was wondering what everyone thinks of the Mark Levinson option.

I went to the dealership the other day and brought a CD to listen to my music in a GS WITH Mark Levinson and a GS WITHOUT. My opinion?? I can't really notice a difference!! Even the couple of salespeople we dealt with don't see that big of a difference and really didn't promote it.

Am I missing something? Is it WORTH the extra $2000?

Thanks in advance

joBox
Old 09-20-07, 10:40 AM
Kroozin
Rookie

If you don't plan to use DVD-A, and you can't hear a difference, then the answer would be "no", it's not worth the $$ for you to upgrade... All you'd be missing is the ability to play DVD's, and probably the ability to add parking sensors (here in CA, unless you special order, you can't get the sensors w/out ML too).
Old 09-20-07, 10:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

i can hear the difference pretty clearly, and although the ML system on the 3gs isn't the best (ls460 kicks butt), i'd still get it over the stock easily
Old 09-20-07, 10:55 AM
Megacorp
Driver School Candidate

I just got one with ML. There is a difference plus you can play DVD Video with the ML.

It also depends on the source/recording. The difference may not be much but if you pay attention, then highs are clearer and bass are tighter.

To most people, the difference is too little unless you are extra attentive and has a high expectation of audio.

For me, it was worth it.
Old 09-20-07, 11:00 AM
CVGolfer
Driver School Candidate

Default '06 GS430 w/ ML

Here is my $.02:

I drive an '06 GS with ML and my wife drives an '07 VW Passat with Dynaudio. For you Lexus fans out there that may not have heard of Dynaudio before, they are a high-end Danish speaker manufacturer and are VW's pick to handle their upgraded OEM audio work.

We bought the VW first and were blown away by how good the Dynaudio system was. It really is amazing. The GS came a few months later and although the car is much more refined that the Passat (even a $42K MSRP 3.6L, 4Motion, optioned out wagon), the Dynaudio sounds better than the ML by a good margin. Maybe it is because the Dynaudio has 650 watts versus the ML's 330ish or maybe it was that my expectations for anything Lexus were too high but the ML doesn't compare. But don't get me wrong, both are very nice stereos but if I am going to split hairs here, my vote goes to Dynaudio.

The only standard Lexus stereo I have heard was in a '07 IS350. From what I can remember, it was nothing special and I can say with certainly that my GS's ML is a lot better than whatever was in that IS.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-20-07, 12:49 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I have had an 06 without and now have an 06 with ML. The difference is small but noticeable comparing the two, my main listening is from an Ipod via VAIS adapter and FM. The ipod adapter was also in the non-ML vehicle. The ML seems to deliver better bass and highs. It is not worth the premium (unless you get a killer deal, like maybe a thousand dollar difference). Remember it will make your car a bit easier to sell later. If you are thinking out of pocket now only and dont plan to take advantage of the DVD audio or DVD playback (can be modded to play while driving) I would skip it, as the audio difference in non- DVD format is hard to appreciate. It is better for sure, but I mean is it 2000 bucks better ? NO
Old 09-20-07, 12:53 PM
GSJeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kroozin has it right. If you can't hear a difference its probably not worth it. Plus if you are going to listen to compressed formats (MP3, WMA) it may not be worth having a system capable of surround audio.

I have an ML and after getting my first DVD-Audio disc, I am investing in more. Having a really good source like DVD-Audio and then putting it on an ML will make the system sound great.
Old 09-20-07, 02:16 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I don't have a GS but I have a IS w/ML. If you can't hear a difference with your normal media, take a movie dvd like Star Wars III and listen to the opening 10 minute sequence. Once the 7.1 surround sound kicks in, you'll appreciate having a ML system (that and the ability to watch dvds )
Old 09-20-07, 02:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
I don't have a GS but I have a IS w/ML. If you can't hear a difference with your normal media, take a movie dvd like Star Wars III and listen to the opening 10 minute sequence. Once the 7.1 surround sound kicks in, you'll appreciate having a ML system (that and the ability to watch dvds )
without the ML, i don't even think he can play it
Old 09-20-07, 04:40 PM
Cut-Throat
Lead Lap

I am an Audiophile and ALL Car audio Sucks! I use a modified pair of Klipshorns with Altec Midrange and a Pair of 45 Tube Monoblocks in my home system which puts out 2 watts per channel. So it is funny hearing these specs of 300 -600 watts. - The first watt counts with efficient speakers!

- With that said I have the ML option, but the reason I got it, was that was what the dealership was offering with the 'Package' - I too compared the ML version with the regular version and could not hear a difference worth mentioning.

What the ML version is good for however, is being able to watch DVD videos. IF you do the hack, you can play them going down the road. So for pure audio, I'd say spend the money on Some Good SET tube amplifiers for your home system and forget car audio altogether. But the Video is a cool toy and is fun to play with. So bottom line it's the video not the Audio of the ML.

Your Choice!
Old 09-20-07, 09:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by CVGolfer
Here is my $.02:

I drive an '06 GS with ML and my wife drives an '07 VW Passat with Dynaudio. For you Lexus fans out there that may not have heard of Dynaudio before, they are a high-end Danish speaker manufacturer and are VW's pick to handle their upgraded OEM audio work.

We bought the VW first and were blown away by how good the Dynaudio system was. It really is amazing. The GS came a few months later and although the car is much more refined that the Passat (even a $42K MSRP 3.6L, 4Motion, optioned out wagon), the Dynaudio sounds better than the ML by a good margin. Maybe it is because the Dynaudio has 650 watts versus the ML's 330ish or maybe it was that my expectations for anything Lexus were too high but the ML doesn't compare. But don't get me wrong, both are very nice stereos but if I am going to split hairs here, my vote goes to Dynaudio.

The only standard Lexus stereo I have heard was in a '07 IS350. From what I can remember, it was nothing special and I can say with certainly that my GS's ML is a lot better than whatever was in that IS.

Hope this helps.
A lot of Lexus owners have upgraded to dynaudio components we are well aware.

I've head the Passat system, it is very very good.

I recommend the ML in the GS.
Old 09-20-07, 09:31 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I love my Mark Levinson system. Can't leave home without it.
Old 09-20-07, 09:58 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

gotta have the ML its worth every penny
Old 09-20-07, 10:27 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rominl
without the ML, i don't even think he can play it
My POINT exactly - non ML does NOT have 7.1 surround . . .
Old 09-20-07, 11:43 PM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not much of a choice in Hawaii, all GSh comes with it, so I'm getting it. But if I had the choice, just based on sound, I'd opt for the non-ML and go for an aftermarket system. But with the added features like DVD & 7.1 surround, as well as the sensors, I'd opt for the ML.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Option (Yes or No)?