GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Mark Levinson Option (Yes or No)?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 04:42 AM
CVGolfer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I came off as an a$$, that was not my intention at all as I had never heard of Dynaudio anything before buying the Passat. I was just trying to say that there are what I consider to be some other very good OEM upgraded stereos out there these days. I am old enough to remember when factory radios were REALLY bad so to me even today's base units are amazing in comparison.

Are you saying that you know of others swapping out the ML speakers with Dynaudio units?
Old 09-21-07, 05:16 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard a few people say that there isn't much difference between the two in the GS. I've never compared them, personally. However, In the IS, the difference is night and day. The ML system was one of the options that I absolutely had to have when I special ordered the car. It is by far, the best and most accurate car audio system that I've ever heard.
Old 09-21-07, 08:35 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by flipside909
I love my Mark Levinson system. Can't leave home without it.
Can't leave home without it because it's in your car
Old 09-21-07, 08:37 AM
tjp74
Driver

Originally Posted by tod071
But with the added features like DVD & 7.1 surround, as well as the sensors, I'd opt for the ML.
Sensors??? What do they do and where are they located?
Old 09-21-07, 09:03 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

I think the ML system is quite a bit better then stock, but if you cannot hear the difference, makes little sense to include it.
Old 09-21-07, 09:25 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by tjp74
Sensors??? What do they do and where are they located?
i am not sure, does he mean parking sensors?
Old 09-21-07, 09:52 AM
tod071
Lexus Champion

Just re-iterating kroozin's points...

Originally Posted by Kroozin
If you don't plan to use DVD-A, and you can't hear a difference, then the answer would be "no", it's not worth the $$ for you to upgrade... All you'd be missing is the ability to play DVD's, and probably the ability to add parking sensors (here in CA, unless you special order, you can't get the sensors w/out ML too).
Old 09-21-07, 10:01 AM
tjp74
Driver

Originally Posted by tod071
Just re-iterating kroozin's points...
Oh. I missed that one cause here in WA, it's common to find a GS without Mark Levison. Most of them here have navagation and parking sensors like what I have but no ML.
Old 09-21-07, 10:35 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Most of the 3GS here have everything BUT the ML...
Old 09-21-07, 12:59 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Yang1815
Most of the 3GS here have everything BUT the ML...
gs350 that is, i suppose?
Old 09-21-07, 02:22 PM
MikeOO
Driver School Candidate

So your either stuck with the stock setup or the ML system, has anyone successfully installed an aftermarket headunit? I'm sure it's not easy but has it been done?
Old 09-21-07, 03:42 PM
spiralynth
Rookie

I had the same question as you until I unequivocally answered it by this experiment:

-- One of my favorite bands, Dream Theater, packaged their latest release 'Systematic Chaos' with a regular CD and a 5.1 surround DVD-A. So, I took and played both on an ML GS350 at a nearby dealer, and the differences were nothing short of "VERY nice". On the DVD-A version you can hear the subtlest sonic differences, like the sustaining ring of a cymbal crash, to the most obvious of spatial differences, like the swirling, panning, or enveloping sounds of guitars and vocals. Additionally, you hear things you don't hear on CDs; think uber multi-directional stereo. Eargasm is how I would define it. As such, I think the additional $2k or so is very much worth it. Also, I think when you resell this car 5+ years from now, not only will most stock stereos be equipped with DVD-A by then, but people will also be expecting it. That should help you reclaim a chunk of that $2k at the time of resale.

If you don't own a DVD-A, I suggest asking the dealer to go buy one if they don't already have one; I know Acura gives their dealers comparo demos. Either that or take a regular DVD as socalJD suggested.
Old 09-21-07, 03:44 PM
matty429
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by CVGolfer
Here is my $.02:

I drive an '06 GS with ML and my wife drives an '07 VW Passat with Dynaudio. For you Lexus fans out there that may not have heard of Dynaudio before, they are a high-end Danish speaker manufacturer and are VW's pick to handle their upgraded OEM audio work.

We bought the VW first and were blown away by how good the Dynaudio system was. It really is amazing. The GS came a few months later and although the car is much more refined that the Passat (even a $42K MSRP 3.6L, 4Motion, optioned out wagon), the Dynaudio sounds better than the ML by a good margin. Maybe it is because the Dynaudio has 650 watts versus the ML's 330ish or maybe it was that my expectations for anything Lexus were too high but the ML doesn't compare. But don't get me wrong, both are very nice stereos but if I am going to split hairs here, my vote goes to Dynaudio.

The only standard Lexus stereo I have heard was in a '07 IS350. From what I can remember, it was nothing special and I can say with certainly that my GS's ML is a lot better than whatever was in that IS.

Hope this helps.

I have a 07 GS350 with ML, and I also "had" a 2007 Passat wagon with Dynaudio.

Aside from the Passat blowing up after 17,000 miles, the Dynaudio is nothing but loud...Even loud, the soundstage is nowhere near the quality of the ML.

My friend has an 06GS NON ML. we had very long audition comparisons in both cars. It's night and day..
My friend is ultra bummed out he didn't get the ML.

A better comparison is the premium sound system from the volvo S40s

The Dynaudio is Stereo only, not 5.1 not 7.1 not even 4.0(is there such a thing in cars?)
For me the ML is worh every penny in the upgrade..
The Dynaudio was a ripoff...upgraded speakers+amp and the same crappy head unit with overly sensitive analog Bass+Mid+Treble controls.
Dynaudio is cool , but in the VW's its a hack. a very loud hack.
Please don't take this as an attack.

Anyways, if you need to ask the question "is the ML worth it?" then you don't need it.
Old 09-21-07, 07:52 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Talking We Would Buy With ML Again

We are totally happy that we bought with the ML package. DVD audio will blow you away! And the park sensor system is awesome as well. I wouldn't buy a GS without either of these options. YMMV
Old 09-21-07, 10:39 PM
AlBoston
Pole Position

If I had to do it all over again i'd get XM and no ML again. The GS std system is OK, the IS std system sounds better to me. The GS ML system sounded better, but for satellite radio I didn't see much of a difference, since I listen to that 90% of the time its not worth it.

Quick Reply: Mark Levinson Option (Yes or No)?