GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Gs350 Or Bmw 335i Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-07, 02:21 PM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by socalJD
Cold Air Intake.

Also, chipping the twin turbos will certainly decrease the reliability factor (more so than it is already). Rule #1 - never own a german car outside of warranty.

PS - Yang, please note that I'm behaving myself
yea, true, but a single proCEDE software is able to pump the 335i up to 375-400rwhp.

imagine all the fun you can have, however, this does put so much stress on the stock components.
Old 09-20-07, 09:10 PM
LexFather

Both are fantastic. I've seen a new 335 covert with 20" HREs with a drop and it was sick!!
Old 09-20-07, 09:47 PM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is my take on this issue...

Choice A: 335ci
Pro: get your face blown by wind, but only once in awhile...
Con: cannot really fit more than 2 people at any given time... becomes crap after factory warranty expires!

Choice B: GS350
Pro: performance vehicle that will fit 4 people in it.
Con: not as cool as coupe.

My choice would be "Choice C," for the $$$ you going to spend on a 335ci, you can get a GS350 + Yamaha R1. BEST OF BOTH WORLD!!!
Old 09-20-07, 09:52 PM
LexFather

Found a pic of it

Old 09-20-07, 10:36 PM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

^ I'd bet the farm that soon after the factory warranty expires the hardtop mechanisms will fail. Hydraulics & electronics are not Bmw hallmarks (altho potent n/a engines and silky smooth trannies are) . . .
Old 09-20-07, 10:51 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by socalJD
^ I'd bet the farm that soon after the factory warranty expires the hardtop mechanisms will fail. Hydraulics & electronics are not Bmw hallmarks (altho potent n/a engines and silky smooth trannies are) . . .
I believe the top is outsourced to a convertible expert...but I won't argue that chances are, it will not be problem free.
Old 09-20-07, 11:29 PM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

This is assuming you can find a 335 vert.....

Oh and ignore the longevity comments about BMW on this board (BMW experts abound here) - change the fluids as often as you would on the Lexus and it will do just fine.

edit:
Attached Thumbnails Gs350 Or Bmw 335i Convertible-jdpowerdepend1.jpg  

Last edited by doug_999; 09-20-07 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-20-07, 11:36 PM
LexFather

Doug, one year does not make a trend BMWs for the most part, simply are awful to own out of warranty. This is common knowledge. Thus leasing a BMW is very attractive with the 50k included maintenance.
Old 09-21-07, 12:07 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Doug, one year does not make a trend BMWs for the most part, simply are awful to own out of warranty. This is common knowledge. Thus leasing a BMW is very attractive with the 50k included maintenance.
Mike, their long term (that's 3 years per JDP) has been above average for quite some time. The cars do have a lot of technology in them and when that breaks it is spendy. That said, they still do very well and if you change the fluids per a normal schedule (and not per the BMW schedule) you can still get 200K out of the car. But to hear the people on this board talk they are a time bomb.
Old 09-21-07, 07:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by doug_999
Mike, their long term (that's 3 years per JDP) has been above average for quite some time. The cars do have a lot of technology in them and when that breaks it is spendy. That said, they still do very well and if you change the fluids per a normal schedule (and not per the BMW schedule) you can still get 200K out of the car. But to hear the people on this board talk they are a time bomb.
Well you have to understand a lot of people on this forum have had or have BMWs that have been a time bomb. Let us not act like this does not happen. Their problems were way before they started dumping tons technology into their cars. Ask any mechanic, BMWs make maybe the best engines and outside of that, have a BMW fix it fund.

Hey, they make great cars but dependability and quality is not a selling point.Sport and image is. Lexus on the other hand has dependability and quality and has much less sport.

What did u think of the 3 hardtop I posted? It really looked good in person.
Old 09-21-07, 08:40 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well you have to understand a lot of people on this forum have had or have BMWs that have been a time bomb. Let us not act like this does not happen. Their problems were way before they started dumping tons technology into their cars. Ask any mechanic, BMWs make maybe the best engines and outside of that, have a BMW fix it fund.

Hey, they make great cars but dependability and quality is not a selling point.Sport and image is. Lexus on the other hand has dependability and quality and has much less sport.

What did u think of the 3 hardtop I posted? It really looked good in person.
Fair enough - but remember a significant # of others here have never had a BMW, never will, yet will forever hate the brand and knock it for its "perceived" reliability issues or anything else they can find wrong with the brand.

On another note, I am constantly surprised at how good BMWs look in white....
Old 09-21-07, 08:55 AM
whlkev
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Fair enough - but remember a significant # of others here have never had a BMW, never will, yet will forever hate the brand and knock it for its "perceived" reliability issues or anything else they can find wrong with the brand.

On another note, I am constantly surprised at how good BMWs look in white....
we have 5 bmw in the family. I can tell you first hand on how they compare to the LS400 we had for 10 years without a single problem.

However, my current 330ci is at 90k miles and it's alive and kicking harder than ever, but i did have to repair a lot of parts thru maintenance.

I love bmw and will always be a fan, but simple facts don't change, japanese cars are known for their reliability and there are perfectly good reasons for it.
Old 09-21-07, 11:53 AM
doug_999
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whlkev
we have 5 bmw in the family. I can tell you first hand on how they compare to the LS400 we had for 10 years without a single problem.

However, my current 330ci is at 90k miles and it's alive and kicking harder than ever, but i did have to repair a lot of parts thru maintenance.

I love bmw and will always be a fan, but simple facts don't change, japanese cars are known for their reliability and there are perfectly good reasons for it.
No arguing that Lexus is a more reliable car. However, everyone here forgets to relate the level of technology with the number of issues incurred. Your 1998 Lexus, while a fine car, is low tech compared to the current gen 5-series. I assure you (an you can see it on the LS forums right now) that the LS460 will have considerably more issues than your 1998 LS400.
Old 09-21-07, 10:28 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thatsfunny I've been saying that for a long time. They are less reliable and even under warrantly you will be close with your service associate at the dealership. BMW and Mercedes made up the entire idea of the high end waiting areas in deaslership service araes because they make unreliable cars and for a person to spend that much money on a car and to have to keep taking it in for the stupidest stuff, they had to make up for it. Also who do you think started the loaner car programs. It was the german car companies. again its just my opinion but the german car companies like the american car companies keep thinking that they are going to be able to keep selling cars based on their old reputations of 20 yrs ago. todays consumer is far to smart for that, thats why lexus,infiniti and acura continue to take luxury car market share

Last edited by I8ABMR; 09-21-07 at 10:32 PM.
Old 09-21-07, 11:25 PM
jamesujin
Driver School Candidate

If you going to have 2nd car to drive, you should get the BMW convertible, but for everyday drive, you are going to get tired of it.

Quick Reply: Gs350 Or Bmw 335i Convertible