GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Dimming headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-07, 10:23 AM
renee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dimming headlamps

When I engage my windshield wiper fluid at night, my headlamps dim. It only happens when I use the windshield wiper fluid for the first time. After that, it doesn't happen. That would suggest to me that there is a drain somewhere in my power supply...but I am by no means a car whiz. Has anyone else had this problem?

I took it to the dealer, only to have them tell me that it's not a problem. They blamed it on the foam that cleans the headlamps when you engage the windshield wiper fluid. BUT I told them that if that were the case, the behavior would happen anytime you used the windshield wiper fluid, and it doesn't. It only happens when I use it for the first time.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-05-07, 10:29 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

haven't had the problem of "dimming".
I do notice what you are referring though, and I too think it is just the water/foam covering the lens for that brief second as it's spraying out. I don't believe that the power consumed to push the foam/water out, would ever drain your battery.

Dun know though, I haven't seen your car do it so I can't be 100% accurate on your specific situation.
Old 09-05-07, 10:38 AM
renee
Driver School Candidate

Default Does it happen each time to your car?

My dimming only happens when I do use the windshield wiper fluid the first time. The dimming is noticeable...so when you're saying that you know what I mean, you have or have not noticed the dimming? What are you experiencing?
Old 09-05-07, 10:54 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't had the personal experiance of actually noticing a true "dimming" meaning loss in current to the headlights when the washer is releasing foam/water, I have noticed, it looking dimmer, but that is just from the foam/water on the lens.
Try hooking a volt meter up to the wires going to the lights and take a reading to see if you are actually loosing power or if it just looks that way from the foam/water covering the lens.
Becuase you shouldn't be loosing any power and if you are get it fixed.
Old 09-05-07, 07:07 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

go outside your car and have someone press on the wiper to see if its just the foam. if you can tell that your headlights got dimmer..i would say there is a problem.

everytime i use my washer, the light intensity does go down..only because the foam or water is on mt headlights.