GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Brake pad performance or dust ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-07, 05:45 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad performance or dust ?

Regarding the brake dust problem on GS cars my mechanic tells me that they are soft pads that produce a lot of carbon but have greater stopping performance whereas dustless pads are mettalic and thought they have less dust they have longer stopping distances and can harm rotors since they are a harder material. This problem exist in BMW & MB. Dealership service manager said they are high friction performance brakes with gripping power just hose them down every few days he tells me. haha, everytime I clean them I have to use wheel cleaner, soap and a wheel brush to clean them.
The trade off is take the dust and have better stopping power or take dustless pads with less performance. Either way either your pads go first or your rotors. What is everyone else's concensus?
Old 08-26-07, 06:03 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

how long have you had your gs??? change your pads with the TSIB. its well worth the tradeoff to not have to clean your wheels every 150 miles...you do lose that grippy feeling of the OEM brakes but still plenty of good with the replacement ones..
there are plenty of threads already discussing this by the way if you do a search...
Old 08-26-07, 07:57 PM
bokmeipai
Pole Position

Default brakepads

I had my GS for 6 weeks with 550 miles on ODO. Maybe I should hold out till I go for my 1st service when I have more mileage and get the most out of my OEM brakes now. Are the new brakes metallic and will they wear out rotors sooner? Do they also change rotors when performing TSIB?
Old 08-27-07, 07:57 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's no reason to change out rotors.
Old 08-27-07, 12:39 PM
Franknyc30
Driver

at the 15k service i had the pads replaced and 4 days later my wheel are almost as clean as a fresh wash. major difference, but i did notice that the stopping power was a bit less but not dangerous. it is worth though!
Old 08-27-07, 01:23 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

I still think that the initial "decrease of performance" is from the new pads not having 100% surface contact with the rotors. I agree that there would be difference between the two types of pads, but I doubt that it's significant enough to be noticed for daily driving.
Old 08-27-07, 01:54 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I did it to mine. I can feel a difference in stopping but once I got used to it, its fine. And now no more cleaning the rims every other day. Now I know why BMW owners choose gunmetal for their rim color. its so you cant see the brake dust. lol
Old 08-27-07, 06:38 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dag, I would take performance over "dusty" rims any day. Dusty wheels you can clean off with a car wash, smashed front end from those lost few feet could cost you a few $$$.
Old 08-27-07, 06:56 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Alexusanja- Naw its not that bad. just feels different. If I crashed because of my brakes I would sue Lexus if it was due to faulty brake pads.
Old 08-27-07, 11:20 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Im having the new pads put on at the end of the week and also having the dealership take off those NOISY-*** Advan tires and throw on some Michelins.

I clean my wheels every damn day while my car is warming up in the morning and its gettin' pretty old.........quick!! Cant wait for the results on both the upgrades.

Vaistech/NAV~BT~DVD override hacks.
Old 08-27-07, 11:51 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

07350- How did you get them to replace to the michelins? Did they give you much trouble? How long have you had the car?
Old 08-28-07, 05:51 AM
mel's-gs
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Dag, I would take performance over "dusty" rims any day. Dusty wheels you can clean off with a car wash, smashed front end from those lost few feet could cost you a few $$$.
It's not so simple. The wheels (at least mine, anyway) were not just "dusty," they were black. I'd detail the car on a Saturday and by Sunday the front wheels were black. I, for one, really don't have the time to clean the wheels every day and I don't like a clean car with filthy wheels. There is a difference in the way my car is stopping, but hopefully that will change a bit with some more miles.
Old 08-28-07, 07:27 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

I'm at the dealership RIGHT NOW (w00t w00t for free wireless!!!) for my 5k service, brake pad TSIB AND DRL off
Old 08-29-07, 12:48 AM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by starstreak
07350- How did you get them to replace to the michelins? Did they give you much trouble? How long have you had the car?
I kinda have the "bro" deal down at the Lexus dealership near my pad. This guy that just started at my work used to work in the parts dept at Lexus. He's talkin' to someone who can get the job done. Lucky me!!
But when i told him about the Michelins, he called over there and asked whoever and they said that they've swapped tires before on other GS3's. So its not somethin' they havent heard of or done before. I think im gonna head down there tomorrow. ill let you know the outcome!!
Vaistech/NAV~BT~DVD override hacks.
Old 08-30-07, 01:51 PM
GSJeff
Driver School Candidate

I had the TSIB done on Monday and the difference is minor. After a couple of hours of driving you will have forgetten the difference but everytime you get out of the car you no longer cringe over the dirty wheels.

Have it done!

Quick Reply: Brake pad performance or dust ?