GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

WOW! Are The GS350 and Acura RL Really This Comparable!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 12:35 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question WOW! Are The GS350 and Acura RL Really This Comparable!

I found this article quite intriguing... http://www.newcars.com/acura/rl/revi...xus-gs350.html

Short and to the point lol!

I'm considering a 3rd car for more everyday practicle driving. I'm about to "hook my 7 up" and I want to limit my mileage and driving to weekends.

So the new gen GS has grown on me, but the RL is a rare sight around here (for whatever reason) and I like it too. I've driven a new GS430 and it was solid, but a V6 and pricing for a pre-owned of the 2 above will suit me fine. So let's hear some HONEST opinions from GS350 owners who ACTUALLY drove and/or cross-shopped the Acura RL...?

Thanks! ~ Big Marcus
Old 08-14-07, 12:37 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

And GS 300 owners too. Pros & Cons you've found with your car?
Old 08-14-07, 12:44 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cross-shopped with the RL. Test drove it, and the SH-AWD is pretty impressive. Other than that though, I like the leather in the 3GS better, and styling as well. RL has more room and does come with a lot of features but I know for fact that their keyless feature kind of sucks since the sensor is on the outside and is pretty sensitive as well. It's really the small features that bother me about the RL that steered me away.
Old 08-14-07, 12:45 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Just a comment on that versus page... It doesn't say anything at all really, I'd suggest to read actual road reviews in magazines for comparison's sake.
Old 08-14-07, 12:49 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Yang....

That wa sthe point. I can go out and research page after page of opinions and driving impressions if I wanted to.

Anywho...

VERY tempting to just seek a new one with pricing and incentives as these!

Ask about our ABSOLUTELY "0" Out-of-Pocket Lease Specials!

Absolutely "0" Down Payment, "0" Up-Front Taxes, "0" Up-front Title & License Fees, "0" Security Deposits, "0" Turn-In Fees, even the 1st payment can been rolled into these spectacular lease specials;

ALL 2007 TSX's, TL's, RDX's, MDX's & RL's qualify!

With flexible mileage allowance's starting at 10,000 miles up 25,000 miles per year.

We even include 100% GAP protection (coverage in the event of an insurance deficit due to a total loss claim) and up to $1,500.00 in Turn-In Damage Waivers, "0" lease-end inspection fees, All for ABSOLUTELY "0" Out-of-Pocket to you!

I want to tell you about our "HOT SUMMER SALES" starting with our low 2.9%* APR on all 2007 & 2008 Acura's up to 36 months and 4.9%* up to 60 months. Or how about our 2007 RL's with $3,500.00 in dealer cash incentives..

..which puts RL's starting at $38,968.26 +ttl & d, that's over $7,000.00 off Acura's World Acclaimed Flagship Vehicle!
Old 08-14-07, 12:51 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

And oh yeah... The GS is alot smaller inside than it looks.
Old 08-14-07, 12:52 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RL just doesn't look as appealing especially the small buttons on the interior and bland exterior make it look cheap
Old 08-14-07, 12:54 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

How bout this article:

2007 Acura RL Versus Lexus GS350
Size up the RL and See if it Fits.

Comparing the 2007 Acura RL to the 2007 Lexus GS350 leads to difficult choices and differences of opinion, but size up the Acura and you’ll find it simply fits better.

The 2007 Acura RL is a mid-size luxury sedan and so is the Lexus GS350. All things considered, the two vehicles match up very closely. Yet, there is a difference and it may just be a critical one. The Acura RL is a slightly larger car than the GS350 and Acura’s designers have used the cabin space to maximum advantage.

True, the dimensional differences are a matter of inches, but the Acura provides the driver with more “elbow room”. Specifically, the shoulder room measurement in the Acura, at 58.5 inches versus 56.3 inches in the GS350, means the Acura driver’s seat does not feel as close to the door; instead it has a more “centered” feeling.

Of even greater significance, depending upon your needs, is a comparison of trunk size and shape. Again, it’s a close call with the Acura trunk measuring 13.1 cubic feet and the GS350 very close behind at 12.7 cubic feet. The difference? Shape. Reviewers point out that a golf bag fits crosswise in the Acura’s trunk and does not in the GS350. Could be crucial.

The point of any comparison is to find out which car fits you and your lifestyle. For many drivers shopping for a mid-size luxury sedan, the Acura RL is a fine fit indeed. At an MSRP of $45,780, the Acura is just $600 more expensive than the Lexus GS350 so the decision will come down to aesthetics—style, features, taste.

In terms of luxuries, amenities, and comforts, both the Acura and Lexus have strengths, but essentially they are equals. What sets the 2007 Acura RL apart is its high-tech focus in the form of a single package: The Acura RL CMBS/PAX Package. It includes some of the most advanced equipment available on any car in any class.

For example, this package includes a collision-prevention system that uses forward looking radar to avoid hitting things. Integrated with the adaptive cruise control system, it will simply maintain a designated spacing for you, or, when disaster looms, will apply the brakes to help you avoid a potential collision.

The Acura RL’s navigation system is also a potential dealmaker. It is one of the few cars on the road to integrate live traffic data with its built-in GPS-based navigation system. The system delivers live traffic information, displayed on the RL’s 8-inch LCD screen as color-coded routes and icons, and can also be set to use the “turn-by-turn” direction feature, announce traffic alerts, and audibly suggest alternative routes. The feature requires a satellite radio subscription, but is bundled with a standard monthly fee that makes it a bargain for urban commuters. The Nav system database is particularly comprehensive and even includes the Zagat® Guide to help you select a great restaurant.

The LCD nav screen is also “information central” for climate controls, hands-free telephone use, and audio. Its voice-command system understands 560 instructions so you just tell your RL what you want it to do. Like, turn on the excellent audio system – a 10-speaker, Bose-tuned, surround-sound setup that can’t be beat for quality and convenience. Tunes are further enhanced by the Acura’s active noise-cancellation system that works with or without the radio to tame external noise by generating noise-canceling frequencies. But the single feature that will blow most minds is the GPS-based solar adaptive climate control system that calculates the position of the sun and adjusts the car’s cabin environment to suit your desired temperature settings. Cool! Or, should we say “hot”?

So, you are comparing the 2007 Acura RL with the 2007 Lexus GS350 and you note they are very similar in terms of power, transmission, and available all-wheel drive, and from the standpoint of amenities. How does one decide? Well, you try them on –– for size, for comfort, for lifestyle, and for fun. Chances are, you’ll find the 2007 Acura RL wins you over.
Old 08-14-07, 12:58 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
Yang....

That wa sthe point. I can go out and research page after page of opinions and driving impressions if I wanted to.
So you do NOT want opinions and driving impressions?

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
So let's hear some HONEST opinions from GS350 owners who ACTUALLY drove and/or cross-shopped the Acura RL...?

Thanks! ~ Big Marcus
Old 08-14-07, 01:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

the rl is rare everywhere i think. definitely not coz' it's limited production imho, probably slow sales. the car is just a failure as a flagship imho. every time i see it on the road it has no presence. it's not until a while back when i pointed one to my wife that she realized it's the rl. her comment was "that's not accord"?! and fyi, my wife has no problem separate the sc430 and solara, or the ls460 and es350 and camry for that matter

the rl is a ok car imho, for the price (especially the ridiculous discount you can get) it's probably a good choice for commuter. on the other hand the gs imho goes head to head very well with the rl. both have goods and bads. i strongly suggest you go drive the cars and see what you think of the driving aspect, since you will be driving it a lot
Old 08-14-07, 01:10 PM
timeToy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also cross shopped the RL and the GS, I like the technical gizmo of the RL (SH-AWD, NavTraffic...) but what drove me away from it, is that I keep mix it up with a 03-05 Accord... I mean they really look exactly the same down to the center console button placement.

And the performance Hybrid option for the GS did it for me.
Old 08-14-07, 01:14 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Just a quick note, the pre-collission and adaptive cruise control ARE available on the 3GS as well.

Navtraffic is probably available in your area but not mine so it doesn't matter to me.

The navi screen in the 3GS also controls the A/C, BT phone, audio, as well as a built-in calendar and memo pad.

As far as calculating the sun position... As far as I know, it doesn't know if it's a breezy/cloud day or not so... As a matter of fact, the salesman never mentioned that at all to me.
Old 08-14-07, 01:15 PM
NittanyNic
Driver School Candidate

I am close to getting a 07 GS350. Should be here in 2 weeks. I looked at and drove the RL. I don't think it looks as sporty as the GS and I like the cockpit feel and look of the GS interior. GS is faster 0-60 and gets a little better gas mileage. And good luck trying to find an 07 RL with the 3500 cash incentive. The GS is going to hold its value better then the Acura and I am coming from an Acura. As much as I hate to admit it, the perception is that Lexus is a notch above Acura. At least that is how I felt as an Acura owner. My Acura you may ask...91 Legend L coupe that I bought new. Has a 123000 miles and runs as good as the day I picked it up. I would get another Acura but there are to many TLs around and I don't like the RL.
Old 08-14-07, 01:17 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by NittanyNic
As much as I hate to admit it, the perception is that Lexus is a notch above Acura. At least that is how I felt as an Acura owner.
Same here when I had a TL.

Another thought here, you look like the type of owner who likes to modify your car(s). Your 7 looks pretty nice, and I think the 3GS is going to have more potential to be an eye-catcher than the RL. It's just too... blend?
Old 08-14-07, 01:30 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys! Solid opinions indeed. I wouldn't really "mod" it out hard, just some wheels (for sure, gotta have shoes!) You know neither one to me really jumnps out at you as a head turner. They both have the Japanese "sleek and purpose built" look. I just like the fact that either one will be a solid daily driver, decent gas mileage and I'm a real techy guy, so they both fill that need.
Guess I will have to go out and actually drive them back to back.
Ironically... The M series doesn't appeal nearly as much as it use to for some reason.
I just happen to see a clean black RL the other day with wheels (believe it or not!) and thought it was sharp.

Quick Reply: WOW! Are The GS350 and Acura RL Really This Comparable!