GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

WOW! Are The GS350 and Acura RL Really This Comparable!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-07, 01:43 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I think the RL design is just boring.. I've seen a few hear around the town and really doesn't shout out Luxury.. IMO.. The GS has design and Luxury written all over it.. I guess depending on what kind of deal you can land the choice is yours.. IMO the GS really catches my eye and has grown on me just like the new IS.. Especially for a third car the GS would be perfect.. GL.. Marcus..

Big T
Old 08-14-07, 03:01 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I owned an RL for 18 months before recently getting the GS350. I recently posted comments here: http://rl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4427

Once you have read that thread,...I didn't address the interior of the RL. Truth is, it is just as nice as the GS.

Pros for the RL: More intuitive nav sytem, slightly better ergonomics front and rear.

Pros for the GS: Better refinement, a more enjoyable driving experience, prefer RWD and...it's a Lexus.

Of course there are many more pros and cons for both cars. Driving a car is much about preference and compromise. I find myself compromising a little bit more with the GS but the car's overall refinement makes up for minor compromises.

P.S. In the FWIW category, rarely did I receive a comment on how nice the RL is. As for the GS, in four weeks of ownership, the car has turned plenty of heads. Not easy to do in SoCal.
Old 08-14-07, 03:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
the rl is rare everywhere i think. definitely not coz' it's limited production imho, probably slow sales. the car is just a failure as a flagship imho. every time i see it on the road it has no presence. it's not until a while back when i pointed one to my wife that she realized it's the rl. her comment was "that's not accord"?! and fyi, my wife has no problem separate the sc430 and solara, or the ls460 and es350 and camry for that matter

the rl is a ok car imho, for the price (especially the ridiculous discount you can get) it's probably a good choice for commuter. on the other hand the gs imho goes head to head very well with the rl. both have goods and bads. i strongly suggest you go drive the cars and see what you think of the driving aspect, since you will be driving it a lot
Bingo, could not have said it better. And used ones are a steal, we are talking low to mid 30s already.
Old 08-14-07, 03:50 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you don't associate acura with luxury
none of their cars have that luxurious look.
and their flagship is a V6. wtf!

i think the RL is one of those "point and laugh at the driver cuz he's a sucker" kind of cars.

Last edited by dunnojack; 08-14-07 at 03:53 PM.
Old 08-14-07, 04:44 PM
Bushwack
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
the rl is rare everywhere i think. definitely not coz' it's limited production imho, probably slow sales. the car is just a failure as a flagship imho. every time i see it on the road it has no presence. it's not until a while back when i pointed one to my wife that she realized it's the rl. her comment was "that's not accord"?! and fyi, my wife has no problem separate the sc430 and solara, or the ls460 and es350 and camry for that matter

the rl is a ok car imho, for the price (especially the ridiculous discount you can get) it's probably a good choice for commuter. on the other hand the gs imho goes head to head very well with the rl. both have goods and bads. i strongly suggest you go drive the cars and see what you think of the driving aspect, since you will be driving it a lot

For under $42K, the car is the best bang for the buck available. If one can ignore the fine points you brought up, it's a helluva car. But it is a car you buy and drive into the ground. Re-sale is very poor and there are no lease incentives on the car.
Old 08-14-07, 06:38 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Price, performance, dimension, etc. the two are definitely comparable and it's an apple to apple comparison. The only difference is, do you like Granny Smith green, or Golden Delicious green apples? It's a flip as to personal taste and anemities. I myself would choose the GS350 over the RL based on exterior look and the Lexus name. Acura to me is like Audi of the German cars... it's always there, but usually running behind by a step or two.
Old 08-14-07, 07:38 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Acura to me is like Audi of the German cars... it's always there, but usually running behind by a step or two.
I'd say more VW. Audi's following pretty tight if it's even following at all.
Old 08-14-07, 08:48 PM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
you don't associate acura with luxury
none of their cars have that luxurious look.
and their flagship is a V6. wtf!

i think the RL is one of those "point and laugh at the driver cuz he's a sucker" kind of cars.

LOL

Thats kind of true but when my dad was looking at buying his S550 he compared it to the LS460L but where does the Acura RL really fit in the car world. The TL should compete with the GS and the RL with the LS but Acura screwed up in my point of view.

The Acura RL is a great car but just lost....
Old 08-15-07, 07:19 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

ANy decision yet on what to get?
Old 08-15-07, 07:41 PM
LexFather

I checked Autotrader and saw a RL in the high 20s and tons in the low 30s. I looked at GS 300 and 430 values and they are holding in the low of mid 30s to mid 40s.

GS 450h's value is still over 50k
Old 08-15-07, 10:12 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Not yet bro. I research like a **** and then... Boom! I I obtain.
Old 08-15-07, 10:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by VAL678
LOL

Thats kind of true but when my dad was looking at buying his S550 he compared it to the LS460L but where does the Acura RL really fit in the car world. The TL should compete with the GS and the RL with the LS but Acura screwed up in my point of view.

The Acura RL is a great car but just lost....
The Acura RL was never meant to compete with the LS or the S-class. The RL is in the same class as the E-class, 5-series, and the GS. Flagship should not always be compared with another flagship. Car should be compared by class, otherwise we'd be comparing the LS600h to the Rolls Royce phantom and the Bentley Brooklands since they're all flagship of their respective brand.
Old 08-15-07, 10:54 PM
TunedRX300
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NittanyNic
As much as I hate to admit it, the perception is that Lexus is a notch above Acura. At least that is how I felt as an Acura owner.
Be careful the perception is a double edged sword. Just when one feels a step up in brand appeal with a Lexus, MB owner will slam you down by saying, "Lexus is nothing but a repackaged Toyota".
Considering GS is marketed under Toyota brand in Japan until recently and almost all parts are supplied with Toyota label, don't get too carry away with this brand appeal thing.
I love the GS350 but found the reliability has suffered quite a bit with 3rd generation. Probably will hold off until problems are worked out in the 2008 model.
Old 08-16-07, 07:18 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSTYLE
How bout this article:
This looks like it came from the Acura newsletter.
Old 08-16-07, 07:35 AM
rkb43
Pole Position

What are the reliability problems that the GS suffers from?
I researched the car pretty thoroughly and other then a few isolated cases, and some complaints about interior noise, I couldn't find any. The car seems bulletproof to me, and during the first 6 months of ownership has been flawless.

Quick Reply: WOW! Are The GS350 and Acura RL Really This Comparable!