GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

I think i made a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-07, 05:40 AM
MadDawg350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I see it, all of those options (whether or not they are worth it) are negotiation points with regards to the agreed upon final price, which should hammered out BEFORE seeing the finance representative. I feel the only purpose of the finance part of the deal is to work out leasing or financing arrangements and nothing else, especially not to go through another sales pitch for add-ons that you may or may not want or need. Just my $.02
Old 08-09-07, 06:13 AM
Bad B
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, I just went through the same this yesterday when I was buying my GS. I got the bra and it was a little bit more than most aftermarket places, but it allows me to have the dealer deal with any issues. Like everyone else said the paint/leather thing was/is a joke. I did get the LoJack feature, but it was only $655. I think my Finance guy really wanted to try to sell me something because I had already negotiated the clear bra with the sales rep during my offer on the car. I got the LoJack, well, just read the thread on Stolen 07 GS430 and you'll see why.

Brian
Old 08-09-07, 06:35 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
If you just picked it up on Monday there's absolutely no reason you can't get out of 3 & 4. Any reputable dealer will make it right with you. There's no such thing as a paint sealant and interior leather protection. It's really called wax and polish and leather conditioner / dressing. Trust me. I don't know why you'd need to insure the wheels and tires, heck, Costco gives you free tire insurance and your wheels should have factory locks. If you damage your wheels well there's a ton of wheels here in the classifieds and I'm sure any number of sponsors here would love to have your business. In my opinion the clear bra and low jack would be personal choices but in regards to the low jack you probably have full coverage on your insurance if you just bought the car. Good luck and congratulations on your new car.
I agree!
Old 08-09-07, 07:00 AM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I had my clearbra done outside the dealership. Regardless, I highly reccomend it.

As for the road hazard, I signed up for it - it covers me for 5 years. Houston roads are full of hazards and I get something happening to my tires about once a year. Case in point, couple of weeks ago I got sidewall damage and they replaced the tire at no charge.

As an FYI, the warranty does not cover curb rash / cosmetic damages. It does cover bent/broken rims however.
Old 08-09-07, 07:06 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

as long as the clear bra is installed properly and they use a quality film I think that is a good idea, 2,3,4 you could have definately lived without. Did they break it down as to how much they charged you for #3?
Old 08-09-07, 07:58 AM
slk_dds
Lexus Test Driver

DRINKS ARE ON THE HOUSE, at the saleman's house anyway...

#1. Get it done outside of dealer.
#2. No need, full coverage insurance.
#3. Sucker... yum yum...
#4. IMO, wheels and tires warranty is not a bad deal for $350.00. Each tire alone cost over $250.00 to replace and the wheel is about $400.00. Especially pot holes are everywhere in downtown Dallas, so it is worth it to me.
Old 08-09-07, 08:30 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by skk440
So, i pick up my car on monday and have my sit down with the finance rep. At the end of the meeting i had signed up for the
1. clear bra
2. low jack
3. exterior paint sealant and interior leather protection
4. tire and rims warranty.
A grand total of 3000 dollars..... just how big of a mistake did i make?

1 is great, 2 is wonderful, the rest, well, I wouldn't have opted. My insurance covers that for minimal fees an d I protect my interior better than they ever could.
Old 08-09-07, 08:48 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

@skk440: Who was your dealer in NJ? As a lot of others suggested, #1 is the must, the rest is not. But, considering the pricing they charged you, I have a feeling even clear bra going to cost you 2x the real price. Go back and have a talk with them. Do it asap!!! I don't know who is your dealer, but if its Ray Catena, you might have a chance (as long as its Freehond and not Oakhurst location )
Old 08-09-07, 09:23 AM
tuthman
Driver School Candidate

When I purchased my GS I got the tint for 180 and they added the Sat radio because I thought it had it already and was upset that when the dealer says fully loaded GS he didn't mean Sat radio. They did it for "cost" at 500 and not the 900 they said it normally was. Who knows what it really cost.

Clear bra was something I had on my last car, an 06 Avalon, and it was 550 for front bumper, 18 inches up the hood, outside mirrors, behind each wheel on the body and the strip on the bumper where you set things. Oh, also the inside of the handles and door edges. That guy came out to my work and spent about 7 hours doing it. Great job! The dealer wanted 980 for it. I said if they match the price I got before I would do it. The would only come down to 850, so it was a no go! I really wish I had gotten it done after I bought it! I must have 7 or 8 chips where it would have been protected. Makes me sick! First big one was on the way home from the dealer!

Anyway, I highly recommend it! Only, don't pay a rediculous amount for it. I keep thinking about doing it, but is it too late? Maybe more chips will lead me to get a new GS460?! And, then get the clearbra!
Old 08-09-07, 09:37 AM
tuthman
Driver School Candidate

One more thing.

My next door neighbor and friend is a finance manager at a local Nissan dealership. He makes 10 to 20,000 a month selling this crap! If you are able to negotiate a good deal on the car, you would likely be making the dealer much more money by opting for even a few of these add-ons. Not to say that there isn't value in some of the products, but you are swimming in shark infested waters when considering buying them from the dealer. He said he has about 80% of his deals he closes buy extended warranties. The mark up is crazy!

I bought a honda pilot and did not buy anything extra and the guy was insulted and said," Boy, you just want the wheels and tires, uh?"
Yup!
Old 08-09-07, 09:40 AM
Loxus
Rookie

Originally Posted by speedflex
Let's just say that your new car won't have been the only thing to have taken you for a ride.

lol

Old 08-09-07, 09:43 AM
Loxus
Rookie

Exclamation

Originally Posted by skk440
So, i pick up my car on monday and have my sit down with the finance rep. At the end of the meeting i had signed up for the
1. clear bra
2. low jack
3. exterior paint sealant and interior leather protection
4. tire and rims warranty.
A grand total of 3000 dollars..... just how big of a mistake did i make?
Would agree on #1 for a decent price (i.e. full front 3M clear bra for under $700 installed).
Old 08-09-07, 10:15 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

#1 for sure... #2 for sure if you live in Newark or Elizabeth NJ. If you do live in Newark, then #4 is required too. #3 is just called wax your car once a year and wipe your interior down. Nothing is going to seal interior or exterior over 5 years...
Old 08-09-07, 11:28 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Loxus
Would agree on #1 for a decent price (i.e. full front 3M clear bra for under $700 installed).
Same here.
Old 08-09-07, 06:21 PM
skk440
Driver School Candidate

thanks for the informative and humorous responses. I was able to get my money back. I decided to keep the clear bra (it was already included) and decided to keep the tire and rim warranty. I got my money back on the leather and exterior paint and on the low jack. I do work in NWK but the reduction on my insurance was minimal and you guys told me about the paint and leather.
Lesson learned.... it was my first major purchase. you live and you learn.

Quick Reply: I think i made a mistake