GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

08 gs in general-navigation for hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 01:52 PM
osokuko
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love Hawaii my folks live there and I visit quite often. Probably one of the reasons why Lexus doesn’t sell cars there with Nav or support the mapping is because the only people that really need the NAV are tourist and as far as I know no one rents Lexus cars to the tourist. Honda, Ford, Nissan are rental cars for tourist. I think the NAV would go over real well there even if it doesn’t support the mapping - all the other screen features are nice to have. Yes I was there at Lexus on Maui things move pretty slow at that dealership. Lol
Old 07-29-07, 07:59 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by osokuko
Love Hawaii my folks live there and I visit quite often. Probably one of the reasons why Lexus doesn’t sell cars there with Nav or support the mapping is because the only people that really need the NAV are tourist and as far as I know no one rents Lexus cars to the tourist.
No kidding.

Whatever.
Old 07-29-07, 10:38 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Nope. Thats like saying those living in CA doesnt need a nav becuase all the streets are easy to read and far apart. Doesnt work that way. If you vacationed here, our "city blocks" are almost 1/2 the size as those on the mainland. Crammed together, we have more streets than those in lets say....CA. And our streets aren't labeled "1st" street "2nd" street. lol. As I mentioned in a previous post, the street names are in Hawaiian. Good luck on following a had map while driving down a street.
The Island is NOT one big city folks. It has many towns.

As for maui... thats not Oahu. That island has like ONE street light. haha. Actually I think that's Kauai. But again, now you see there are more than one island. There's also the Big Island. Its bigger than Oahu, but not as complicated when it comes to streets. So I could understand if they didn't have maps for the outer island, but Oahu needs one.

But you know, I'm not here to argue on that Hawaii does or doesn't need a Nav. Unless you lived here and needed to find places in different towns on the island, you just don't know how much a nav system would make life easier.

I was just curious on if the '08 will have the map or not.

Last edited by starstreak; 07-29-07 at 10:54 AM.
Old 07-29-07, 05:08 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Post Hawaii Maps

If I lived in Hawaii I would want my navigation to work as well. You should be able to utilize a navigation system regardless of where you live or how small your area is. Everybody in the USA should be entitled to this including Hawaii in my opinion.
Old 07-30-07, 01:28 AM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

So... anybody know if the '08 is coming with new software for the nav? Thats one of the only reasons why I didn't dump alot into this car. If I could sell it for a decent price I would and either get a new version of possible a car that was more "balanced" in features that I wanted.
Old 07-30-07, 11:52 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by starstreak
So... anybody know if the '08 is coming with new software for the nav? Thats one of the only reasons why I didn't dump alot into this car. If I could sell it for a decent price I would and either get a new version of possible a car that was more "balanced" in features that I wanted.
07's already have a new software and new generation navi... what you want is the DVD upgrade for map if they had one.
Old 07-30-07, 04:39 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Well I thought the 08 was supposed to get some sort of update for the nav. so I was hoping Hawaii was supposed to be included in it. I doubt they will make a dvd for ths model, only because they arent shipping any cars to hawaii with the navigation.
Old 07-31-07, 10:48 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Well I thought the 08 was supposed to get some sort of update for the nav. so I was hoping Hawaii was supposed to be included in it. I doubt they will make a dvd for ths model, only because they arent shipping any cars to hawaii with the navigation.
They have the map updates every year. If they were to include the Hawaii map on the DVD, then to get navigation, it's as simple as allocating navi models to Hawaii. The same DVD works on all Lexus.
Old 07-31-07, 04:31 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

yes, but they dont import any lexus with navs as of yet. So for example, my car is missing the nav buttons around the screen and no dvd drive in the glove box. Yet I have the monitor and ML and reverse camera. werid,huh?
Old 07-31-07, 04:58 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

yes, but they dont import any lexus with navs as of yet. So for example, my car is missing the nav buttons around the screen and no dvd drive in the glove box. Yet I have the monitor and ML and reverse camera. werid,huh?
The point is... if the company providing the map software decides to include hawaii map, then Lexus would probably most likely start importing the ones with navigation system...
Old 07-31-07, 06:56 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, that's why I was asking this question. if the new car comes with nav for Hawaii I would be more curious if I should be looking at selling my car
Old 08-04-07, 03:16 PM
808 GS
Rookie

Take this for what it's worth, but I just went to the Lexus dealership today inquiring about 07-08 GS350's, and the GM told me the 08's will be available with navi. BTW, what is a good out the door price for a GS350 without Mark Levinson and 18" wheels?
Old 08-04-07, 04:38 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Dunno. I got mine with. the ML. You get the reverse camera.The GM (A asian guy,right?) hes the one who sold me my car.

Update: Spoke the one of the salesman, he said the GM said the Navigation maybe on the LS model with more models to follow. Strange. I thought all the navs were the same. And even then he said maybe. I hope it's true.

Last edited by starstreak; 08-04-07 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-04-07, 11:43 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

I'm guessing what better way from getting a customer from buying another car. The GM in Honolulu is a nice guy. Very smooth talker. I think he had me caught up in it. Gave me a deal. But nowhere near what ppl get here tho. Don't look for $5k+ off the price. I think after I paid taxes and bought the extended warrenties I paid just under $51k. If you got the same setup for an 07 but without the ML you're probably looking at $49k.
Old 08-06-07, 05:08 PM
micnn
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
Denso and Fujitsu-Ten are the ones who create the maps for the Toyota/Lexus navigation. One of my co-workers once worked for Denso in the past. He was in one of the teams who actually mapped all the roadways, POI's and landmarks for the nav system. From what I recall that he told me, the accuracy goal of each POI was about one half mile.
Just wondering, I am looking at the navigation dvd's and there it enlists Denso, Navteq, and Tele Atlas. Aren't Navteq and Tele Atlas the only two commercial map companies? I've always thought Denso as a navigation software company, and they contract map data and POI to either Navteq or Tele Atlas, or both.

Quick Reply: 08 gs in general-navigation for hawaii