GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Hid's 6k, 8k, Or 10k ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-07, 10:41 AM
leestoy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hid's 6k, 8k, Or 10k ?????

IF YOU HAD YOUR CHOICE WHICH KELVIN WOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR YOUR LAMPS... I AM LOOKING TO GET NEW HID'S AND DON'T REALLY KNOW WHICH COLOR (KELVIN) TO GET??? ANYONE OUT THERE THAT HAS THESE DIFFERENT COLORS LET ME KNOW.. I HAVE A 06 GS300... I DON'T REALLY DRIVE IT THAT MUCH AT NIGHT BUT JUST WANTED A DISTINGUISHED LOOK AT NIGHT...ALSO CAN YOU GUYS POST YOUR PICS WITH THE DIFFERENT COLOR TEMPS SO I CAN MAKE A DECISION... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP...

Last edited by leestoy; 07-24-07 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-24-07, 11:00 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Personally, I would not put anything higher than 6K - 8K, but that's just me.
Old 07-24-07, 11:18 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

6k is the highest i would put, anything else higher are bad
Old 07-24-07, 11:25 AM
leestoy
Driver

Romini, When You Say Anything Else Higher Than A 6k Is Bad What Exactly Do You Mean.. ??? Visibility Or ???? Let Me Know.. As I Mentioned I Really Don't Drive The Car That Much At Night But Just Wanted A More Distinct Look To My Car..don't Really Care If I See 1000' Or 1200' Infront Of Me.(as Long As I See Something).. My car Is Silver In Color Don't Really Know If That Would Make A Difference.. Thanks For Your Input I Appreciate It... Come On Guys... Any Other Info.... Thanks
Old 07-24-07, 01:03 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

the higher K # you go to the less light output you get.
Higher than 6000K you see the road less.... (technically higher than 4300K you see less) but I wouldn't go higher than 6000K personally. for low beams or fogs.
of you could just but a 12000K black light bulb in them makes no sense.
you know how much light output comes from a black light.....
Old 07-24-07, 01:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well if you like green/purple, then going to 8000k or 10000k will achieve that. but that will also give out more glare (different light wavelengths so different projections), and honestly to me that looks like the chessy hid setup people find on civics or so (sorry if i sound harsh)

a lot of times the "nice flickering" on the hid, where some people refers as to the "color changes", are more due to the lens design also also the metal reflector inside. hidplanet is your resource. if that's what you are looking for, getting clear lens and also dealing with the metal clip inside the projectors is what brings you the "nice effet" as seen on the tsx or s2000

i have 6000k headlights on my gs400 and sc430, i like the slightly whiter / bluer color of the hid, but not severe enough to look silly by my book.

i didn't go into the light output on the road which jace covered, since you said you don't use it much at night. but in short, the higher you go, the less light it put on the road, and also more fatigue it puts on your eyes if you drive for long time
Old 07-24-07, 02:23 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

depends where you buy them. theres a place on the net that sells the only 8k (or was it 10k? forgot now) bulbs. but from the email I got, his 6k is close to a bright white, his 8k was a slight blue and 10k was blue/purple.

most bulbs I saw wasnt like that. the 6k is blueish the 8k is blue to pruple and 10k is purplish/green. which is why I didn't buy my bulbs yet. still trying to figure out what k gives what color on the gs350
Old 07-24-07, 02:33 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

take this bit of information......

our GS' have the same exact K (within 400K) as the BMW's BUT they look slightly different..... why is that you probably wonder... it's because of the projector on the cars.

The projectors on the cars are similar but not exact, so you get a different "look" with the same K.

a 6000K from xenondepot.com is 99% the exact same "look" as the BMW/MB ex.....

If you are going for what you look like to others......

who cares what you look like to others, what should matter is what works best for you and seeing the best for your eyes should be most important....

Personally I purchased the 6000K HID conversion kit for my fogs about 6 months ago and am loving them...
I recently ordered the 6000K replacement bulbs for my low beams from xenondepot.com and couldn't be happier. They match in color to my fogs, and I (for my eyes) feel that I can see better and things are lit up better than before with the OEM low beams.
Old 07-24-07, 02:56 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

jace7- you have pics with them on? I would want to see what the 6k from xenon looks like for the driving light.
And I dont think ours is the same. ours is 4300k I believe bmw is 4800 or 5k which can be enough to be seen as more blue. My gs350 casts a yellow to white light. The new bmws shine a white to a sllight blue cast. That isn't from the housing. The housing would change the event horizon where the light cuts off. on bmws or acuras, they show more of a blue hue.

Last edited by starstreak; 07-24-07 at 03:03 PM.
Old 07-24-07, 03:11 PM
leestoy
Driver

The Bulbs I Saw Are On Ebay From Hidxenonkits They Are Offering The D4s In Either 6k, 8k, Or 10k For $110 For The Pair... I Thought That Was A Great Buy... They Warranty Them For 1 Year And The Seller Has 100% Rating For About 3 Years Now... What Do You Guys Think... In The End It's Not Really About The Money It's About What Is Going To Look The Best... Like I Said I Really Dont Drive At Night A Lot Anyway So I Was Looking For The Best Look For My Car.... Dropped On Coilovers... Rims, Etc.. Looking For The Classy Yet Bad Azz Look..... Let Me Know.. Thanks
Old 07-24-07, 03:13 PM
LexFather

6k is best
8k if you like blinding people
10k if you don't like seeing at night but want to look like a 1970s disco superstar
Old 07-24-07, 03:28 PM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
6k is best
8k if you like blinding people
10k if you don't like seeing at night but want to look like a 1970s disco superstar
priceless.

And starstreak, I did say within 400K...
But it also does have to do with the projection lens....

Nope I don't have any pics, but I will take some shortly.
Old 07-24-07, 04:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by starstreak
jace7- you have pics with them on? I would want to see what the 6k from xenon looks like for the driving light.
And I dont think ours is the same. ours is 4300k I believe bmw is 4800 or 5k which can be enough to be seen as more blue. My gs350 casts a yellow to white light. The new bmws shine a white to a sllight blue cast. That isn't from the housing. The housing would change the event horizon where the light cuts off. on bmws or acuras, they show more of a blue hue.
nop, that's incorrect. 4100k - 4300k are the ONLY street legal HID out there. 5k would be something that imitate normal hid after certain time of use (HID get bluer over time)

it's all about the projector and lens design, a lot of experts on hidplanet has shown why and how to do it. the ls430/sc430 uses pretty much the same projects as the s2000/tsx if i remember correctly, but the acura put up much more light and flickering. the difference was the clear lens
Old 07-24-07, 04:21 PM
starstreak
Lexus Test Driver

Ok then if thats teh case, then the 6k is closer to a white, the 8k is a blish color and anything higher is purple to green then on teh gs350 becuase it color shifts lower?
Old 07-24-07, 06:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it's because of the optic design of the projectors, the lens, and also the metal clip that i mentioned that produce the "different" kind of colors you see when you look straight into the headlights.

on the other hand, if you look at the ground illuminated by these headlights (granted, headlights with similar use), you should see the gnd to be lighted up about the same color. i remember when i was still with stock sc430 hid, i was side by side with s2000 and audi s4, the gnd in front of us were all light up the same

however, later after i changed my hid to 6000k, one time i got beside a s2000 and the gnd in front of me is clearly "whiter/bluer"

Quick Reply: Hid's 6k, 8k, Or 10k ?????