GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

My GS 350 gripes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-07, 02:36 PM
bozer
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My GS 350 gripes

I love my GS more then life but theres a few issues about it that bother me:

1. Why does Sattelite radio cost so much ? I think the dealer wanted an extra 2 grand for that option... meanwhile it came standard in my 04 Honda Accord. Why the hell do I have a shark fin on top of my car and then Xm costs so much damn money.

2. Why don't the mirrors on the side of my car automatically open and close? This seems like a common sense thing. If they move on their own when I reverse, couldnt they have easily had them auto fold as well?

3. Why do my stock 17" rims suck? I mean, they're decent looking... but the wheel well above the front tires is gigantic and the wheels really just dont look like what you'd get on such an expensive luxury car.

4. The ticking when my car is standing still. Yeah, I know its duel injection... but it sounds like crap. Couldnt they have made this quieter?

5. Why aren't their some sort of air conditioner vents for backseat passengers? Again, most other cars have this. Why not in the GS?

Thats really my only gripes with the car. Theres honestly no other car Id rather have too.
Old 07-10-07, 02:42 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are ac vents for the rear passengers on the 2gs; there isn't any on the 3gs?

also, here's what i observed of tmc made cars:

1. there is always something "fagtastic" about the car. it's not really gay, but it's not really cool either.

2. the ac will smell on the next start-up if you turn it off and blow out the remaining air
Old 07-10-07, 02:43 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

WTF ??? dude you are whiner....LOL

Satellite radio costs $300 from sewell and is a breaze to install DIY

The engine makes the nise you describe but also puts out 300+ horses from a naturally aspirated V6 that is otherwise quiet as a 4 cyl

I thought there was vents in the back, right in the center console....I had people there today and I think they were getting air....

the rims were on there when you bought the car....you can easily get 18s on there too, and sell your 17s and tires .....PM me if you want chrome G spiders or look in the classifieds....

The mirror thing is an issue, one of these days I will tackle that one, should be simple with a relay that is hooked up to the ignition....but i hear you
Old 07-10-07, 02:49 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by bozer
I love my GS more then life but theres a few issues about it that bother me:

1. Why does Sattelite radio cost so much ? I think the dealer wanted an extra 2 grand for that option... meanwhile it came standard in my 04 Honda Accord. Why the hell do I have a shark fin on top of my car and then Xm costs so much damn money.

Agree, it should be standard. However, the kit is only a few $100 at lexus-parts.com. No reason it should cost even close to $1k installed.

2. Why don't the mirrors on the side of my car automatically open and close? This seems like a common sense thing. If they move on their own when I reverse, couldnt they have easily had them auto fold as well?

Agree.

3. Why do my stock 17" rims suck? I mean, they're decent looking... but the wheel well above the front tires is gigantic and the wheels really just dont look like what you'd get on such an expensive luxury car.

The gap would be the same with the 18" wheels on the AWD model. That said, I'm not crazy about the 17s either, so I bought a set of 5-spoke 18s.

4. The ticking when my car is standing still. Yeah, I know its duel injection... but it sounds like crap. Couldnt they have made this quieter?

5. Why aren't their some sort of air conditioner vents for backseat passengers? Again, most other cars have this. Why not in the GS?

Pretty sure there are 2 right behind the center console, but now I want to go check.

Thats really my only gripes with the car. Theres honestly no other car Id rather have too.

Wife loves it, and so do I!
--------------------------
Old 07-10-07, 02:55 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love mine too but here are my gripes:

1. IT's A SEDAN! I'm a confessed coupe man and I don't know why I bought this car. The rear doors look like you're dragging half a car. Sedans have shorter doors than coupes cause there are 4 of them. Shorter doors mean a more narrow opening in which to enter and exit the car. I'm big, the opening is too small, as it would be in almost any sedan.

2. It's too quiet, no exhaust note. I hit the gas and it goes but you can't hear it go.

3. It's so pretty I hate to thrash it around or get it dirty.

4. It's so big it's hard to thrash around.

After nothing but sport coupes, I don't know what I was thinking. For some reason, I still love the car though.
Old 07-10-07, 03:05 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a sports coupe too (G35 6mt) and I had an SC430. I tell you, I still love the feel and ride of my GS. Its too tempting not to drive it for more than 2 days.

As for those 17 inch wheels, I got rid of them asap and bought nice GS430 18 inchers on Clublexus and sold off my 17 inch. Overall I only loss 900 dollars and its well worth it!
There is an AC vent in the back, put the ac on top and down mode.
Folding mirrors are unnecessary all the time. If you need to close them, press the button.

Overall, I agree with you on some points, but this car still beats most of the competitors in terms of reliability, features, style, power.
Old 07-10-07, 04:07 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unfortunately, I doubt that anyone will ever find the "perfect" car. However, it's good to hear that there's no other car you'd rather have than the GS...

The good thing is that most of your concerns can be easily addressed. Other than the engine ticking, your issues can be addressed with simple (albeit sometimes pricey) modifications. You're in the right forum for that!
Old 07-10-07, 07:24 PM
steverhode
Lead Lap

Question How does the ride with the 18 in compare with the 17 in?

Originally Posted by Rexus300
As for those 17 inch wheels, I got rid of them asap and bought nice GS430 18 inchers on Clublexus and sold off my 17 inch. Overall I only loss 900 dollars and its well worth it!

How does the ride with the 18 in compare with the 17 in?

(I still remember trying out both 16 in and a 17 in wheels when I bought my 1998 GS 300 when it first came out. The bigger wheels looked better but the ride was harsher. I went with the smoother rider and never regretted it.)
Old 07-10-07, 08:29 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

about the folding mirrors.........
you lazy bum. just press the button!
Old 07-10-07, 08:30 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by steverhode
How does the ride with the 18 in compare with the 17 in?

(I still remember trying out both 16 in and a 17 in wheels when I bought my 1998 GS 300 when it first came out. The bigger wheels looked better but the ride was harsher. I went with the smoother rider and never regretted it.)

Steve
that all depends on the brand of tire, also i went with 245 45 18 series and ride is excellent
Old 07-10-07, 08:39 PM
Rexus300
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same here, I though that the 18 inch would make ride more harsher, nope! Ride is much more stable, sharper and still has that smooth feel over the bumps with no compromise. Get good all season tires or similar such as Continentals, Michelins, or Goodyears, and you should have no problem. Tramlining issue is present occasionally but I realize that you need to put a higher pressure in the tires to prevent that such as 38-42 psi and that problem is gone.
Old 07-10-07, 08:40 PM
bobbyt01nc
Lead Lap

sounds like your problem is you didn't buy the gs430.
1. we have ac vents in the back
2. i have a button i push to have my mirrors fold in and out on demand
3. my car doesn't tick...it just humms with a growl of 8 cyclinders
4. and it comes standard with cool 18 inch rims...although i'm getting a little tired of them
lol
Old 07-10-07, 09:08 PM
Avid1
Rookie

Originally Posted by bobbyt01nc
sounds like your problem is you didn't buy the gs430.
1. we have ac vents in the back
2. i have a button i push to have my mirrors fold in and out on demand
3. my car doesn't tick...it just humms with a growl of 8 cyclinders
4. and it comes standard with cool 18 inch rims...although i'm getting a little tired of them
lol
With the exception of #3, the GS 350 has everything that you described. I don't know how the original poster could not see his rear AC vents.

I almost got a GS 430, but when I looked at the specs, I realized I could get the same 0-60 time, better fuel economy, and a better price with the GS 350. Only thing I'm missing is that nice V8 growl... and a few other technical enhancements that don't really matter to me (VDIM, VVTi, etc.).
Old 07-11-07, 07:33 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Hey guys.,.

I've never been in my backseat and my in-laws were complaining it was hot back there and they weren't feeling the AC. I guess they just didnt see those vents.

But anyway, I love my GS.. I was just making some points. Sure I can press that button to fold the mirrors, but then when I go to turn my car off at night its an additional button I need to press. Would make more sense to have tied that in with the ignition button in my opinion.

As for the ticking, I wasnt aware that its actually making the V6 engine quieter. Thats good to know and makes it more tolerable now in my opinion.

I want new rims so badly but my wife is all "i think the 17's look fine, you're not spending 3 grand on that!".
Old 07-11-07, 07:50 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

I want new rims so badly but my wife is all "i think the 17's look fine, you're not spending 3 grand on that!".
That was my story too, and now my wife loves her 5-spoke wheels. They were less than $1k, and the tires another $800 approximately. There are a few threads on this, including one I started. I believe that besides EyeKutr, who's selling G-spider chromed wheels, there is another fellow member selling 5-spoke chromed wheels.

Of course, if you want very expensive wheels (not the 5-spoke OEM), then that's another story...

There is hope, though!

Quick Reply: My GS 350 gripes