GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Any idea why the GS sells the least?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 11:01 AM
Jace7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marshmallo
LOL, test drive the LS and it is easy to see why the GS does not
sell.
I've tracked both, I have been able to track the GS450h as well as the short body LS, both with the active suspension, and the GS is much more of a solid feel and better road feel than the LS. GS with active has much better
"non" roll feel and the active suspension is much more like a sports car than the LS even tries to be. The LS does hold it's own, but is floaty and to soft. All are great characteristics but you just need to decide what you want in a car.

I wouldn't compare the LS to the GS as all. They are two different cars representing two different catagories of cars.

Perrsonally for the 71K I paid for my GS450h after some tax and the extra things I had installed at the dealership, I could purchase a comparable LS and personally the LS wouldn't be in my garage for the same dollar amount. The LS is boaty and not sporty.

The LS is a wonderful car don't get me wrong, but just different, different not in a bad way just stating facts.

What the LS has I wouldn't want the GS to have, that's what sets them both apart.

Both serve their own purpose both being different.

Last edited by Jace7; 07-04-07 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-04-07, 11:06 AM
noobs
Rookie

There was a long thread in Car Chat last month about this

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=wrong+gs

While the GS is not doing bad compared to it's Japanese competitors (M,RL). it doesn't come close to 5 and E sales. I think teh lease deals and brand have something to do with it and the car has a more luxo reputation than a drivers car. The GS300 got panned by reviews as underpowered and the mags have not really reported on the GS350. At least it's not as bad as the Acura RL with about 600 sales per month and a large incentive.

I don't think the LS is only "a little bit" more than the GS. Compared to the GS460 or 450h perhaps, but compared to the GS350, the LS is almost 50% more, especially since discounts are higher on the GS than the LS.
Old 07-04-07, 11:21 AM
bozer
Lead Lap

Personally Im glad its not selling so well. I dont see many of them on the road and I feel like theres billions of 5 series around NY
Old 07-04-07, 11:32 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jdog
I don't know about now, but back when I priced out the GS and the M35 AWD, the M35 was cheaper. Much bigger discounts.

FYI, stay tuned for pics of my Flint Mica GS with staggered Giovanna Dalar 20's !!!
I never negotiated for the M but MSRP wise, comparably equipped, the M costs about $1500 more.

Can't wait to see pics!

Originally Posted by ServerTech
Besides the poor quality issue, a 535 AWD costs alot more than my GS350 AWD with the same options.
I think even the 525xi comparably equipped costs more.

Originally Posted by Beltfed
Besides some of the things mentioned, one extremely important factor hasn't been mentioned.

Most people lease midsize luxury cars.

The problem is that the GS does not lease out well at all, the rates aren't bad.....but the residuals are horrible.

They can't remotely compete with the Infiniti M and BMW 5series in that regard.
Yeah the lease rate does suck.

Originally Posted by Kroozin
The GS prevailed BECAUSE there are so few of them. All I see all day long are 5 series and E Classes running around so I wanted something a little different. In this car class that narrowed my choices down to the M35 and GS. I liked both cars but chose the GS because it looked a little better to me plus I was just coming out of a G35 and wanted to try a engine with a little more power. The M35 still has the 275hp engine.
Don't forget the 5 speed auto that gives it horrible fuel efficiency!
Old 07-04-07, 12:04 PM
marshmallo
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jace7
I've tracked both, I have been able to track the GS450h as well as the short body LS, both with the active suspension, and the GS is much more of a solid feel and better road feel than the LS. GS with active has much better
"non" roll feel and the active suspension is much more like a sports car than the LS even tries to be. The LS does hold it's own, but is floaty and to soft. All are great characteristics but you just need to decide what you want in a car.

I wouldn't compare the LS to the GS as all. They are two different cars representing two different catagories of cars.

Perrsonally for the 71K I paid for my GS450h after some tax and the extra things I had installed at the dealership, I could purchase a comparable LS and personally the LS wouldn't be in my garage for the same dollar amount. The LS is boaty and not sporty.

The LS is a wonderful car don't get me wrong, but just different, different not in a bad way just stating facts.

What the LS has I wouldn't want the GS to have, that's what sets them both apart.

Both serve their own purpose both being different.
I understand all those things. The LS is a floaty boat. It's just
that the finishing touches and attention to detail on the LS blow
away just about any other car and sharing a showroom with the LS
is a big headache for the present GS in my opinion.
Old 07-04-07, 12:47 PM
jabbar2002
Rookie

im one of the few thats happy they are not selling, i dont to see my car at every stop light. so when people see your car it more noticeable. not like the bmw 5 u see at every light. i live in atlanta and i may see about 5 GS a week, and i think its the same people.
Old 07-04-07, 12:57 PM
Modeler
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by marshmallo
I understand all those things. The LS is a floaty boat. It's just
that the finishing touches and attention to detail on the LS blow
away just about any other car and sharing a showroom with the LS
is a big headache for the present GS in my opinion.
I've spent a lot of time inside the LS460, and I don't agree with you at all. I feel that it is only marginally more luxurious and better put together than the 2007 GS.
Old 07-04-07, 01:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dunnojack
any thoughts?

only 1800 sales/month.
Just to clarify, the GS 350 sold 1,880 units this month, the GS 430/450h sold 141, for a total of...

Lexus GS - 2,021 units for June 2007. Above it, the E-Class sold 3,686 units and the 5-series sold 4,657 units.

Still not bad for the GS.
Old 07-04-07, 01:50 PM
Amiricanm
Rookie

Many people buy a BMW/Benz not becuase they believe it is a better car than the Lexus/Infiniti, but becuase many people are brand *****s.
Old 07-04-07, 03:13 PM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Amiricanm
Many people buy a BMW/Benz not becuase they believe it is a better car than the Lexus/Infiniti, but becuase many people are brand *****s.
It's not all about brand. I'm not going to deny that the 5 series has better handling than the GS, and the E is a very sharp looking car. As far as Infiniti goes, I seriously considered it but some small things steered me away from it. Other than that, I like all 4 cars in the category. I chose the GS because of previous experience with local Lexus dealership. The local MB/BMW dealerships are full of stuck-up salespeople.
Old 07-04-07, 03:34 PM
StevenC56
Driver

Cool Left BMW For Lexus

Originally Posted by Yang1815
It's not all about brand. I'm not going to deny that the 5 series has better handling than the GS, and the E is a very sharp looking car. As far as Infiniti goes, I seriously considered it but some small things steered me away from it. Other than that, I like all 4 cars in the category. I chose the GS because of previous experience with local Lexus dealership. The local MB/BMW dealerships are full of stuck-up salespeople.
We just sold our 2003 BMW 530i and our 2007 GS350 is on the way. My wife had a hard time with the soft steering/road feel of the GS compared to her BMW w/sport package, however she loves everything else about the car. I'm sure she will get used to it real fast. The BMW dealership where we live has poor sales and service departments. We won't miss them at all. The warranty was almost up on the BMW and there were several issues starting to surface. We had quite a few issues while we owned it as well, and the 2003 5 series was one of the more reliable models BMW has ever made. We were set on the Infiniti line at first and decided against them after closer inspection. All cars have compromises to some degree-Nothing is perfect.
Old 07-04-07, 04:09 PM
INHOCJP
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Hopefully, those low sale numbers all changes if Lexus introduces a much sportier GS460.
That would be nice, but I doubt the GS460 will make a huge impact on sales numbers. People were saying the same thing with the release of the GS350.

The sports luxury segment is just too competitive right now.
Old 07-04-07, 04:12 PM
RyanIS250
Driver School Candidate

I just bought an IS250. Which I love. but If money were no option I'd get the GS no doubt!!! It's definately my favorite Lexus!!!! I would go with the GS, IS, LS, ES in that order. Peace!!!!
Old 07-04-07, 04:24 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's alot of money for the car you get. Size wise you got the ES stealing away potential buyers whereas there is no 5 or E sized alternative in the MB or BMW lines. The 3 and C are TOOOOO small to be competitors.
Old 07-04-07, 05:22 PM
audimerc
Driver

Having both the ES and GS line is actually really retarded move by Lexus. It not only cannibalize the sales but also confuses the customer. They should just either have the GS or the ES line with differing engines and suspension setup. This would also make it more financially feasible to compete better with MB and BMW. Instead of two different set of designers engineers,etc. they could just put their money on one car that can satisfy two type of customers. This would allow Lexus to compete better.

Quick Reply: Any idea why the GS sells the least?